• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Pumpkin' Head?

A

Anonymous

This really freaked me at the time. I had the house to my self one night and I thought, "What better way to spend this special quality time with myself than an 'Osbournes' marathon on MTV". So I watched said TV show until 2am. I then decided to 'do-an-all-nighter'. So I watched more (very) late night TV and then took the rubbish out to the bins. I did so. However, on returning from the bins I happened to glance across the road. I noticed a man running down the street with a very large orange head and no redeeming features whatsoever. I know what you're thinking: "That was obviously a hollow pumpkin on his head or something". Well, first of all; why would someone be doing that at 3.30 in the morning; second of all, it was completely the wrong shape (it did have little protrusions which looked like ears) to be a pumpkin or any other sort of root vegetable. It was strange and I was scared to look out of the window or go outside at night for a while afterwards.

Awww man! I thought this thread would be about the Melon Heads of Ohio. ;)

See also *Melon Heads* on the FTMB.

---------------------

Incubus, what time of the year was it that you saw the figure?

Could it not just have been someone returning home after a party in fancy dress or costume?

Re: Melon Head?

Incubus said:
This really freaked me at the time. I had the house to my self one night and I thought, "What better way to spend this special quality time with myself than an 'Osbournes' marathon on MTV". So I watched said TV show until 2am. I then decided to 'do-an-all-nighter'. So I watched more (very) late night TV and then took the rubbish out to the bins. I did so. However, on returning from the bins I happened to glance across the road. I noticed a man running down the street with a very large orange head and no redeeming features whatsoever. I know what you're thinking: "That was obviously a hollow pumpkin on his head or something". Well, first of all; why would someone be doing that at 3.30 in the morning; second of all, it was completely the wrong shape (it did have little protrusions which looked like ears) to be a pumpkin or any other sort of root vegetable. It was strange and I was scared to look out of the window or go outside at night for a while afterwards.

Perhaps soneone with an orange hoodie (pullover with built in hood), the hood was up, and he was running so the hood looked pretty big as it was filled with air/wind.

What kind of person would run around at 3:30am with a pumpkin on their head??????

Uh, yeah, ME!!!

Although the person you saw was not me, I have been known to do this exact thing. Mostly for the purpose of freaking people out.

But, why do it so late?

Because if you do it in the evening people will quickly realize that it is someone having a laugh at others expense. But if you do it late, late at night you catch those few people (that happen to be awake) really off guard and they will be considerably more shaken than if you do it at a normal time. (just as with you). And to add to the shock factor it helps for the person wearing the pumpkin to not acknowledge that anyone can see them (even if the person starts screaming).

Somewhere in my boxes of stuff I have a picture from a few years ago when I "attacked" some of my friends. One of them had a camera and shot some pictures thinking that they were involved in some form of high strangeness. But I guess if you have friends that wear pumpkins on their heads that is highly strange.

Chrisford, I just had to laugh.
I've considered doing something like this myself with some friends just for a laugh - you know, dressing up in convincing costumes as aliens or something.
Yeah, I know - we're both sad. :D

A decade or so ago a friend convinced us all he had a HUGE dangerous dog, each time we called at his house there was barking and hammering on his front door, it was scary cos if that dog got through we where dead. Then our friend would be heard shouting at the dog and lock him in the kitchen. Turns out it was him all the time, there was no dog. He kept it going for a couple of weeks though :)

(off topic i know, but it sprang to mind after an explanation of pumpkinhead)

Re: Melon Head?

PaZZa said:
Perhaps soneone with an orange hoodie (pullover with built in hood), the hood was up, and he was running so the hood looked pretty big as it was filled with air/wind.
Damn hoodies getting everywhere!

At one time until very recently this board was infested by Cats.

Now it's hoodies! :evil:

melon heads

It's probably one of the men that always sit in front of me on airplanes.
No use trying to watch the movie.

the hoodie idea is the most plausible but couldn't you just have had a very vivid dream? It was very late and your mind had been softened by several hours of the Osbornes.

It could very well have been someone in a costume or silly outfit.

I used to go out for very late-night/early-morning walks in my neighborhood in New Orleans (Garden District, for those who are interested), which was generally deserted at that time. I liked not being bothered by people and the general quite and solitude of these walks.

Once, about 3am, I was approaching an intersection of two small roads when a man in a clown costume came running up to me, shouting, "I'm a clown, I'm a clown, will you go home with me?" There were no bars in the area, so I'm not sure where he came from or if he was drunk or what the story was. When I told him no, he became quite meek, apologized, and wandered off into the distance.

Also, in my neighborhood, I was making my way home one night after a concert at Tipitina's on Napoleon when I spotted two completely naked young men having a drink on their veranda. Obviously it was a party of some kind, but they were just having a quiet conversation, being very casual about standing outdoors buck naked.

My point is, late at night, you never know what is going on with people...

You're all wrong. It's obviosly one of the pumkin-head, man-eating aliens from Venus. Be careful. Sounds like he was looking for dinner.

RainyOcean said:
You're all wrong. It's obviosly one of the pumkin-head, man-eating aliens from Venus. Be careful. Sounds like he was looking for dinner.

Damn, youve convinced me :)

RainyOcean said:

:eek!!!!: Rainy, how do you know about us!!...I mean, them,...yeah them..the pumpkin men from Venus. ??

They killed my pet turtle. Been researching them ever since.

All good theories, and come to think of it, they are pretty much all logical explanations. Cheers. It probably is just (para)normal behaviour from the weird locals.

Well, if you have a hideously deformed head that looks like a pumpkin with ears, when CAN you go jogging?

crouton said:
Well, if you have a hideously deformed head that looks like a pumpkin with ears, when CAN you go jogging?

Anytime he likes, he married Camilla Parker Bowles earlier this year :)

:laughing: Although, I must say I'm happy for them. (Which I never thought I would be!)

With thought, its obvious who it is...

Orange skin, big head - Robert Kilroy-Silk!

We all missed that solution :)

Back