Purple Men

A few years ago I was shopping in Liverpool City Centre when a passing man caught my eye. He was very tall and thin and walked with a pronounced stoop. He had shoulder length hair (he looked a little like the astrologer Justin Toper) and was wearing jeans and a leather jacket.

What really attracted my attention was the fact that his skin was purple! It wasn't a natural skin tone whatsoever, it was totally unnatural. I'd never seen skin that colour on anybody before, a weird metallic lilac shade. I got the strangest feeling of 'wrongness' from him and felt a little disoriented as he passed. He didn't seem to draw attention from anybody else however and melted into the crowds. He didn't acknowledge me at all.

A few weeks later I was once again shopping but in an entirely separate area of the city when I suddenly felt inexplicably panicked. I looked around me to see the cause of this and walking toward me was another purple man! Exactly the same colour, same hair, same outfit but smaller and stockier than the first bloke. This time though he looked directly at me and look crossed his face which I read as "Shit, she can see me" He put his head down and walked past me hurriedly, I felt nauseous as we crossed paths. I turned to see which way he had gone and he'd literally vanished into thin air. Poof, gone!

I've never been so freaked out. I really got the feeling that they were not of this world, like they were trying to appear human but not quite getting it right.Thankfully, I haven't seen them again and I hope I never do.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
A few years ago I was shopping in Liverpool City Centre when a passing man caught my eye. He was very tall and thin and walked with a pronounced stoop. He had shoulder length hair (he looked a little like the astrologer Justin Toper) and was wearing jeans and a leather jacket.

What really attracted my attention was the fact that his skin was purple! It wasn't a natural skin tone whatsoever, it was totally unnatural. I'd never seen skin that colour on anybody before, a weird metallic lilac shade. I got the strangest feeling of 'wrongness' from him and felt a little disoriented as he passed. He didn't seem to draw attention from anybody else however and melted into the crowds. He didn't acknowledge me at all.

A few weeks later I was once again shopping but in an entirely separate area of the city when I suddenly felt inexplicably panicked. I looked around me to see the cause of this and walking toward me was another purple man! Exactly the same colour, same hair, same outfit but smaller and stockier than the first bloke. This time though he looked directly at me and look crossed his face which I read as "Shit, she can see me" He put his head down and walked past me hurriedly, I felt nauseous as we crossed paths. I turned to see which way he had gone and he'd literally vanished into thin air. Poof, gone!

I've never been so freaked out. I really got the feeling that they were not of this world, like they were trying to appear human but not quite getting it right.Thankfully, I haven't seen them again and I hope I never do.
You rumbled them. They blew the gaff.
Now they're in London, blending in with the locals.

Eponastill

Abominable Snowman
I wonder, if you type 'silver poisoning' or 'argyria' into google images, does that look about right? Or 'amiodarone blue skin', that's another possibility?*

*no medical knowledge implied. Just long standing interest in weirdness.

I wonder, if you type 'silver poisoning' or 'argyria' into google images, does that look about right? Or 'amiodarone blue skin', that's another possibility?*

*no medical knowledge implied. Just long standing interest in weirdness.
I've considered this possibility before and googled it previously. Just in case I was accusing two poor industrially injured gents of being non - humans. It doesn't look or feel quite right to me though but, of course, I can't entirely rule it out.
I think it was more the fact that they were wearing identikit outfits and hairstyles as well as being a bizarre colour. They even walked the same but were definitely different people.

henry

still speeding
poor guy if it is some kind of birth pigmentation anomaly, to elicit that reaction ... on the other hand, emo ?

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
There are self defence sprays that cover an attacker with purple dye. While these may not be actual perps, it could be that they’ve been fooling around with them for youtube or something.

Wasn’t there also a thing about cash boxes having a dye to identify thieves?

There are self defence sprays that cover an attacker with purple dye. While these may not be actual perps, it could be that they’ve been fooling around with them for youtube or something.

Wasn’t there also a thing about cash boxes having a dye to identify thieves?
It's definitely possible. I'm still wondering why nobody else seemed to pay them the slightest bit of attention though? It's not a sight you see every day is It?
I'm a pretty level headed person and I don't believe for a minute that I imagined it. I can't explain why I reacted the way I did or why I felt as afraid as I did. It's never happened to me before.
Also, I still have no explanation for how the second man managed to vanish within seconds. It just wasn't possible.

Lb8535

Ephemeral Spectre
Possibly poor souls who have this as a work costume and work nearby. A range of entertainment spots have people in strange makeup. Especially if the costumes were the same. I used to travel home on a commuter bus with a sex worker who commuted in his work clothes and makeup. Very tight shorts, t shirt and glamorous do. Clearly off duty.

joeosker

Junior Acolyte
Saw a bloke in Birmingham last year outside the Apple shop who was green ,imagine one of the Blue men ,normal cloths ,like that but green

henry

still speeding
Don't think so. They were both 50-ish and their outfits were pretty standard if outdated.
They were absolutely identical outfits though.
could it have been a visual disturbance in you ? cant believe i find myself asking this but ... are you one of those reliable types who "sees auras" ?

hunck

Justified & Ancient
The purple version looks like Whispering Bob Harris.

There can't be too many purple colloidal silver users in Liverpool..Maybe none. The chances of seeing two in a matter of weeks must be pretty small.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
There's another, simpler, explanation ... Both men were exhibiting cyanosis - a blue-ish / purple-ish cast to the skin commonly caused by poor circulation, pulmonary insufficiency, heart defects, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and / or chronic usage or overdosing with certain drugs (especially opioids and narcotics).

Both men were estimated to be in their 50's - a prime age to be exhibiting pulmonary problems.

Both were described as wearing jackets. This implies colder weather, which would reduce blood flow at the extremities (face and hands) which were the only areas of skin visible.

Last edited:
could it have been a visual disturbance in you ? cant believe i find myself asking this but ... are you one of those reliable types who "sees auras" ?
Haha no, there's nothing remotely unusual about me. I'm pretty boring.

The purple version looks like Whispering Bob Harris.

There can't be too many purple colloidal silver users in Liverpool..Maybe none. The chances of seeing two in a matter of weeks must be pretty small.
My thoughts exactly. It's just too much of a coincidence.