• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pushing Someone To Suicide = Manslaughter (?)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This story poses an increasingly relevant question - at what point does gaslighting / bullying / emotional domination / etc. become grounds for culpability in causing someone's suicide?
Woman in ‘total control’ of boyfriend charged in his suicide

A former Boston College student who had “complete and total control” over her boyfriend has been indicted on an involuntary manslaughter charge for encouraging him to take his own life, Boston’s top prosecutor said Monday.

Inyoung You, 21, was “physically, verbally and psychologically abusive” to fellow Boston College student Alexander Urtula during an 18-month relationship, Suffolk District Attorney Rachael Rollins said at a news conference.

You sent Urtula, 22, of Cedar Grove, New Jersey, more than 47,000 text messages in the last two months of the relationship, including many urging him to “go kill himself” to “go die,” Rollins said. You also tracked Urtula and was nearby when he died in Boston on May 20, the day of his Boston College graduation. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.apnews.com/ac246be45f2d43caa74c15a87fc7666c

That is around 1 text message every two minutes 24/7 for two months. Unless it's an automated system, that seems unlikely.

That is around 1 text message every two minutes 24/7 for two months. Unless it's an automated system, that seems unlikely.

I strongly suspect that the messages were not text messages but chat messages via an instant messenger--probably kakaotalk.

Back