• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Puzzling Midge Behaviour

merricat

confused particle
I honestly don't know where to put this, it isn't exactly Fortean, but remains something of a mystery to me.
I often have my art studio window open on summer evenings, have frequently been visited by moths, wasps and honey bees to name a few. Occasionally small winged, tiny things (silent), what I would generally call a midge, will come in and disappear shortly afterwards. They are usually not irritating like bluebottles/houseflies so no problems there.

Roll on to the winter months, my window isn't open anywhere near as often. And when it is, it's usually for brief ventilation. During the past few weeks I had become half aware (so not especially thinking about it) of a midge in my room that seems to come from my left each evening and dart around for a bit. I'd have to waft it away from my face a few times but then I would forget about it, as you do. This seemed to follow a pattern, just one single midge, came out at intervals in the late evening, irritated me slightly then went on it's merry way.

After around two weeks, I remarked that I was amazed it was still here. However, one evening last week or so it came out as usual and took a dive into my glass of red wine. I took the glass downstairs, noticed the midge was still alive and removed it with a tissue and placed it outside.

Oddly enough, the next evening, another midge appeared in the same place, to the left of my chair and continued exactly as before, as if it had replaced the original copy, lol. This didn't particularly surprise me so on we go. The very next evening it flew into my cup of tea. Again I removed it with tissue and set it outside. And you know what's coming next, don't you? Yes, another appeared, same as before. And once again it flew into my drink, this time rose cordial with sparkling water (I can strongly recommend!). Again removed and set outside.
Now, there is no way the same midge is finding a way back into the house. I had considered they may be a family of midges, but what strikes me as odd, if that is the case, is how there is only ever one present.

In total, there have been, night after night, up to 7 removed midges that have landed in a drink, which is curious enough as coincidences go, but to be immediately (and I mean immediately as in within 10 mins) replaced by another single midge.....I am perplexed. Is this normal behaviour? Are there any insect experts out there who can shed light on this? I still have my new midge here now, possibly eyeing up my earl grey.

Just to add, my art studio is small, with one window, just a regular upstairs room. I don't use oil paint or any other materials that require ventilation. Have never experienced this in here before.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know where to put this, it isn't exactly Fortean, but remains something of a mystery to me.
I often have my art studio window open on summer evenings, have frequently been visited by moths, wasps and honey bees to name a few. Occasionally small winged, tiny things (silent), what I would generally call a midge, will come in and disappear shortly afterwards. They are usually not irritating like bluebottles/houseflies so no problems there.

Roll on to the winter months, my window isn't open anywhere near as often. And when it is, it's usually for brief ventilation. During the past few weeks I had become half aware (so not especially thinking about it) of a midge in my room that seems to come from my left each evening and dart around for a bit. I'd have to waft it away from my face a few times but then I would forget about it, as you do. This seemed to follow a pattern, just one single midge, came out at intervals in the late evening, irritated me slightly then went on it's merry way.

After around two weeks, I remarked that I was amazed it was still here. However, one evening last week or so it came out as usual and took a dive into my glass of red wine. I took the glass downstairs, noticed the midge was still alive and removed it with a tissue and placed it outside.

Oddly enough, the next evening, another midge appeared in the same place, to the left of my chair and continued exactly as before, as if it had replaced the original copy, lol. This didn't particularly surprise me so on we go. The very next evening it flew into my cup of tea. Again I removed it with tissue and set it outside. And you know what's coming next, don't you? Yes, another appeared, same as before. And once again it flew into my drink, this time rose cordial with sparkling water (I can strongly recommend!). Again removed and set outside.
Now, there is no way the same midge is finding a way back into the house. I had considered they may be a family of midges, but what strikes me as odd, if that is the case, is how there is only ever one present.

In total, there have been, night after night, up to 7 removed midges that have landed in a drink, which is curious enough as coincidences go, but to be immediately (and I mean immediately as in within 10 mins) replaced by another single midge.....I am perplexed. Is this normal behaviour? Are there any insect experts out there who can shed light on this? I still have my new midge here now, possibly eyeing up my earl grey.

Just to add, my art studio is small, with one window, just a regular upstairs room. I don't use oil paint or any other materials that require ventilation. Have never experienced this in here before.
They're probably all coming from the same place, on the other side of a crack or gap in the wall, floor, or ceiling - wherever the probably miniscule food supply that feeds the nest is, likely several larger dead insects. There's just enough of them that no more than one appears at a time.

They're probably all coming from the same place, on the other side of a crack or gap in the wall, floor, or ceiling - wherever the probably miniscule food supply that feeds the nest is, likely several larger dead insects. There's just enough of them that no more than one appears at a time.
Could be, thanks! I will have a rummage around, it is an old house with lots of little nooks and crannies.

Are these midges or fruit-flies? Their attraction to fruity drinks suggests the latter. Of course "midges," as a term, covers a lot of species of small flies, not all of them biters and blood-suckers . . .

I had fruit-flies in my wine most nights, during the summer and autumn. I was not always able to identify any over-ripe fruit in the kitchen to attract them but they just kept on coming! :dunno:

Are these midges or fruit-flies? Their attraction to fruity drinks suggests the latter. Of course "midges," as a term, covers a lot of species of small flies, not all of them biters and blood-suckers . . .

I had fruit-flies in my wine most nights, during the summer and autumn. I was not always able to identify any over-ripe fruit in the kitchen to attract them but they just kept on coming! :dunno:
Not sure, not very good at identifying insects. In winter I occasionally get little beetle/ladybirds with black backs instead of red, if that makes sense. I get attached and miss them when they're gone :chuckle:...Saying that, wasps usually have to take a hit of RAID.

They're silent, dark bodies, transparent wings, quite tiny and fragile. Obviously good swimmers. Been here since late Nov.

Get your self a Sundew they are very good at getting rid of small flies.
Hah ha! A carnivorous plant! Not sure I'd want to sit and watch that in action :willy:
Mysterious yes, but not at the point of slaughter yet. Will definitely keep it in mind for summer though.

I've had some midges around my kitchen as well, I guess it's more tolerable than having midgets in the house.

They're silent, dark bodies, transparent wings, quite tiny and fragile

Fruit-flies are so small that the wings can hardly be detected - by my eyes, at least; they are just like specks or smuts. Just large enough, though, to make their transversal of my screen an annoyance! :headbang:

Hah ha! A carnivorous plant! Not sure I'd want to sit and watch that in action :willy:
Mysterious yes, but not at the point of slaughter yet. Will definitely keep it in mind for summer though.
I get real problems in my flat with fruit flies. Why? I don't know. I live 15 floors up and I have no problems ever with ordinary flies or wasps or bees. A few years back I bought a carnivorous plant but I can't remember it's name. It wasn't a sundew plant. It is quite small grows to about 2 or 3 inches wide and less than an inch high and lives in a small pot. It's a bog plant so over watering isn't a problem. It has broad green leaves with hundreds of tiny hairs on each leaf with a tiny tiny small bead of something, I assume, sticky on each hair. It produces a single small flower on a stem and then every year another one grows up besides it. Why that is? I haven't a clue. Now I have 3 of them.

I find it quite fascinating and horrific at the same time as to how the plant 'digests' the fruit flies. The flies land on a leaf, attracted by the scent, get stuck to the tiny beads of goo and then slowly dissolve into the leaf and then vanish. It takes about a week or maybe longer.

I hate killing anything but at least this is a natural way of doing things. Highly toxic to humans fly spray would be quicker I know.

I can post a picture of the plant if anyone is interested.

Yes, I agree, it's simply nudging/helping nature along, but just the idea of witnessing the process, especially with something larger than a fruit fly......

I once saved a ladybird that rolled into a tin of magnolia emulsion. It was thoroughly soaked through and the paint was sure to dry out, so I very carefully removed it all with tiny, sculpted pieces of kitchen roll and a manipulated cotton bud, with no real hope that it would make much difference. It didn't move for a few hours afterwards (it took me a good while to clean it up) but miraculously sprang to life later that evening and scurried towards me, hung around for a while, before scurrying back off into the shadowy underside of a chest of drawers. I recall thinking 'these little buggers owe me one'.

I really don't like fly spray at all and would never use it when my cat was alive. It comes out for very special occasions only (trapped, angry hornets). The stench is intolerable.

Edit - but please do post the picture kesavaross!

Last edited:
It has broad green leaves with hundreds of tiny hairs on each leaf with a tiny tiny small bead of something, I assume, sticky on each hair. It produces a single small flower on a stem and then every year another one grows up besides it.
Yes that is a sundew. They are great for dealing with fruitflies.:)

Back