• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pyramids' Powers (Pyramid Power; Pyramidology)

actually the blades get sent back in time!!

far sale!!:- one slittly used second hand pyramid (with razer blades no extra charge)
only 1,000,000 aegyptian £s ono

Sharpening razors

OK I'm bumping this as I was pondering the issue of sharpening razors with pyramids

http://www.dowsing.com/Pyramid/pqanda.htm

and more specifically:

Before the publication of Psychic Discoveries, there had been several books written about the unique and strange dimensions of the Great Pyramid of Giza, speculating about their significance. But thanks to their side trip to Prague, Ostrander and Schroeder were the first to tell the world about pyramid power. It was there that they were introduced to Karel Drbal, a Czech radio and television engineer who had discovered that small pyramids of the same relative dimensions as the Great Pyramid could sharpen razor blades! The pyramidal shape apparently focuses cosmic energy when precisely aligned on the north-south axis, which can renew the crystalline structure of good-quality steel.

http://www.atlantisrising.com/issue14/ar14psychic.html

Drbal remembered an old superstition which claimed that a razor left in the light of the moon became blunted. He tried putting one under his model pyramid, but nothing happened, so he went on shaving with it until it was blunt, and then put it back in the pyramid. It became sharp again. Getting a good razor is still difficult in many Eastern European countries, so Drbal tried to patent and market his discovery. The patent office refused to consider it until the chief scientist had tried building a model himself and found that it worked. So the Cheops Pyramid Razor Blade Sharpener was registered in 1959 under the Czechoslovakian Republic Patent No. 91304, and a factory soon began to turn out miniature cardboard pyramids. Tody they make them out of styrofoam.

http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/archives/archive22/newposts/121/topic121942.shtm

and a skeptical take on it:

The next stage in the saga of pyramidiocy leaves the world of tangible pyramids and enters the realm of pyramid as shape. More particularly, we will look at the effect of pyramids on that shibboleth of the New Age, ‘energies unknown to science’, or euts as we will refer to them for typographical reasons.

It was probably inevitable that someone, sometime, would hit upon the idea that the pyramid itself had something to do with the process of mummification. This idea flies in the face of all the evidence of how mummification was carried out, including the records left by the Egyptians themselves, but it is in accord with the thinking of those who persist in seeing a problem where none exists.

Martin Gardner, in his entertaining book The Magic Numbers of Dr Matrix, traces the first reference to this idea to the early years of the twentieth century. At that time, a "French occultist", as Gardner describes him, discovered that a dead cat became mummified after being placed in a model pyramid. As there appeared to be no great call for mummified cats in the ensuing half century, no more research seems to have been carried out.

Then, in the late 1950s, a Czech named Drbal claimed that a razor blade placed under a cardboard pyramid retained its edge for longer than would normally be expected.

Next, we find that various film actors (who may well be the descendants of the Lost Tribes of Israel) claim to be able to meditate better while sitting under a pyramid. Others have claimed that foodstuffs kept in a pyramid retain all of their freshness, wishes come true when written on paper and placed in a pyramid, pyramids kill bacteria. This is all remarkable stuff, if true, but how true is it?

Let us first consider euts, whether they obey rules, and how a pyramid might channel them.

Whenever a pseudo-scientist or a paranormalist is challenged to explain some phenomenon that science decrees to be highly improbable, he responds with euts. While not wishing to suggest that there are no such things as euts, we are not very encouraged to believe in them by the claims made for them. It appears that they can do anything and are not governed by any rules at all. Proponents of pyramid power have claimed that pyramids can, inter alia, mummify flesh, preserve food in a natural state and resharpen razor blades. It would appear, to the casual observer, that these three acts call for three different applications of energy. To mummify flesh presupposes an ability to remove water molecules; to sharpen razor blades requires the ability to add molecules; and to preserve food means preserving the status quo. As the material from which the pyramid is constructed does not appear to effect any of these processes (they are available in cardboard, wood, polystyrene, copper, polycarbonate, steel and many other materials) and as they appear to have no control systems, how is the required process determined? Can the euts itself decide that the object in the pyramid is a razor blade or a dead cat? If that is so, and that appears to be the only logical conclusion that follows from the claims, then we appear to be dealing with some form of sentient energy. This is an extraordinary concept and would require far more persuasive evidence for its existence than is offered by its proponents. Imagine the problems Einstein would have faced with relativity if gravity could think for itself!

http://www.skeptics.com.au/journal/paramyth.htm

Now if it can alter the crystalline structure of metal I would imagine that it would be easy enough to test such things in a good metalurgy lab. It seems like another case of people arguing past each other: Believers are happy to believe while more skeptical types tend to dismiss it out of hand (possibly with some sneering) and nothing gets resolved.

Interestingly someone seems to have started an experiment here but no results are mentioned:

http://www.sciforums.com/archive/index.php/t-4451

I think the mention of the fact that they might be able to mummify bodies (and I assume preserving food is connected to this) rather ignoring the incredibly elaborate process the Egyptian priests used to create these mummies.

-----------
And here is a copy of Drbl's patent:

http://www.amasci.com/freenrg/tors/drbl.html

----------
On another sidenote does anyone remember this being shown on TV in the UK at the height of all the claims for Pyramid Power? I seem to have a vague recollection but can't pin it down (although it may come to me later).

May I suggest G. Harry Stine's Mind Machines You Can Build ? Get it, follow the directions and then we can discuss results. When I was fiddling with pyramids some 30 years ago, they seemed to work as advertised. Exactly what the mchanism is, and why it works here but not there, I have no idea. But I suggest Stine's book because he's a scientist and an engineer (literally a rocket scientist- he wrote THE book on model rocketry) and he brings the scientific method to this.

Re: Sharpening razors

Emperor said:
http://www.atlantisrising.com/issue14/ar14psychic.html

Drbal remembered an old superstition which claimed that a razor left in the light of the moon became blunted. He tried putting one under his model pyramid, but nothing happened, so he went on shaving with it until it was blunt, and then put it back in the pyramid. It became sharp again. Getting a good razor is still difficult in many Eastern European countries, so Drbal tried to patent and market his discovery. The patent office refused to consider it until the chief scientist had tried building a model himself and found that it worked. So the Cheops Pyramid Razor Blade Sharpener was registered in 1959 under the Czechoslovakian Republic Patent No. 91304, and a factory soon began to turn out miniature cardboard pyramids. Tody they make them out of styrofoam.

I don't know if this is referenced on the original website anywhere, but this appears to be a direct quote from Lyall Watson's "Supernature" (where it may indeed have been quoted from elsewhere). I don't know if that has any impact on what people think of the reporting, but from what I can gather Lyall Watson seems to provoke similar reactions to Graham Hancock.

Quality info though Emps :)

*{'Splash rummages around for some time before finding pyramid-hat from 1970's. Puts on head. Waits. }*

Yes I admit for a while there I was into pyramid power...

*{'Splash covers hat with tin-foil. Feels instantly better-er}*

finds hat an coat etc :)

Growing up in the 70's, Pyramid Power was everywhere! But where did it go? I suspect it got absorbed into mainstream New Age-ism, but it created numerous artifacts on the road to Memphis.

To set the stage, a 2016 article about an adherent of pyramid power's personal tale:
https://www.gaia.com/article/pyramid-power

It was the mid-1970s and Pyramid Power was a huge topic of interest all over the world. Researchers were creating scale models of The Great Pyramid of Khufu, aligning them to the magnetic poles and experimenting, using pyramids for everything from meditating under them, to sharpening razor blades. It was a fascinating time to be involved in anything alternative and I was completely and totally enthralled by every bit of it. I was ecstatic with The Pyramid Shop’s existence and I immediately hit them up for a job and told him I was willing to work for free. How could they say no? Well, they did, but eventually they said yes, after realizing that I was going to hang out anyway. I was excited to be a part of it.

That excitement was well founded, as I was exposed to a fascinating environment with sincere, good people at the helm. The store was a magnet for the metaphysical community of the city and cities nearby, allowing me to meet some of the most interesting people I’ve had the good fortune to know.It also became a stop for traveling psychics, gurus and even a few hucksters. I was privileged to participate in numerous experiments, conducted within the small shop, with varying degrees of success and failure, but all of them fascinating.

The store sold sheet-copper pyramids that could be worn as hats, the owner’s own design, with one so large that it could be meditated inside of. All sorts of books on Pyramid Power were sold, as well as Pyramid Energy generators, some shaped like pyramids and others simply discs imprinted with geometric shapes, designed to simulate and generate Pyramid Power, whatever it may be. The owner would ask customers to put one of these generators to their third eye and describe the experience.

Without exception, everybody felt something, even the most skeptical.

Meditation in a Pyramid​

Some found it unnerving, others exciting, while there were those who felt they’d opened a new chapter in their lives. Although it was a totally subjective experience, there was a common thread. Everyone seemed to feel some sort of movement, as if they were being pushed or dragged along a highway. I often felt as if I were swirling, the same sort of feeling I used to get as a kid when I’d spin around in circles until I fell over, except Pyramid Power didn’t make me sick. Meditating in the big pyramid was an experience that defies description. I don’t know what happened inside that space, but my meditations were deeper, more intense and often bordered on hallucinatory. I loved that pyramid.

According to the current wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_power
Pyramid power refers to the belief that the ancient Egyptian pyramids and objects of similar shape can confer a variety of benefits. Among these assumed properties are the ability to preserve foods,[1] sharpen or maintain the sharpness of razor blades, improve health, function "as a thought-form incubator", trigger sexual urges, and cause other effects. Such unverified conjectures regarding pyramids are collectively known as pyramidology.

There is no scientific evidence that pyramid power exists.

Pyramidology has it's own page too which explains the different branches:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramidology

Types of pyramidology​

The main types of pyramidological accounts involve one or more aspects which include:

• metrological: theories regarding the construction of the Great Pyramid of Giza by hypothetical geometric measurements
  • numerological: theories that the measurements of the Great Pyramid and its passages have esoteric significance, and that their geometric measurements contain some encoded message. This form of pyramidology is popular within Christian Pyramidology (e.g. British Israelism and Bible Students).
  • "pyramid power": claims originating in the late 1960s that pyramids as geometrical shapes possess supernatural powers
  • pseudoarchaeological: varying theories that deny the pyramids were built to serve exclusively as tombs for the Pharaohs; alternative explanations regarding the construction of the pyramids (for example the use of long-lost knowledge; anti-gravity technology, etc.); and hypotheses that they were built by someone other than the historical Ancient Egyptians (e.g. early Hebrews, Atlanteans, or even extraterrestrials)

This is a video on a pre-fab Pyramid Power kit:

Some clips that are very interesting - the first two clips would be of most interest here I think:
Clips from The Pyramid (1976 film), a 1976 episode of Montage (a local news magazine show from Miami), and a 1977 episode of SCTV

An stridently skeptical yet interesting take:
https://web2.ph.utexas.edu/~coker2/index.files/pyracrystal.shtml

While ignorant and fanciful superstitions concerning the Egyptian pyramids have circulated in European culture since the Renaissance, the pseudoscience known as pyramid power dates fairly precisely from 1970 and the publication of Psychic Discoveries Behind the Iron Curtain, by two reporters for the National Inquirer tabloid, Ostrander and Schroeder. This paperback contains the story of Antoine Bovis, a French occultist who in the 1930s decided that the true purpose of the Egyptian pyramids was to convert the corpse of the king sealed within into a mummy. Bovis built small pyramids of plywood in Nice, France, and claimed to have used them to “mummify” various pets. The story continued on to 1959 when Czech occultist Karel Drbal patented the “Cheops Pyramid Razor-Blade Sharpener.” This was a tiny cardboard pyramid; when the standard double-edged razor blade of the day was placed in the proper position within the pyramid after each use, it was possible to get many more shaves from the blade than “usual.”

Once US New Agers were unleashed onto the topic, claims of pyramid power wonders expanded without limit— pyramids could purify or “sanctify” drinking water; polish jewelry and tablewear; make plants grow faster and larger; keep cookies and cake fresher; preserve vegetables and other perishable foods; speed healing and maintain “wellness;” aid meditation and relaxation; increase effects and enjoyment of wine and drugs; increase psychic ability, spiritual development, intuition and mastery of esoteric occult concepts; increase enjoyment of sex; stimulate graphic and colorful dreams; and so on, and on. A large number of books proclaiming the dazzling promise of pyramid technology appeared during the 1970s, although strangely the fad became almost extinct within a decade, being replaced by similar bizarre claims about quartz and other natural crystals.

Just an idea.
Perhaps less focus on this because there is greater awareness of ancient pyramids in more countries than Egypt, so less wonder associated with the Giza ones?

Just an idea.
Perhaps less focus on this because there is greater awareness of ancient pyramids in more countries than Egypt, so less wonder associated with the Giza ones?
Could be, but while aesthetically the Giza examples were a focal point for pyramid power, I don't think the other kind was dismissed if memory of that era serves correctly.

A review of the Pyramid film from 1976 (which has a clip above), which I've not seen:
http://every70smovie.blogspot.com/2019/12/the-pyramid-1976.html

and IMDB:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131549/
A young TV news reporter grows tired of Commercial programming and decides to cover more positive stories. He is fired for his troubles, and goes on a personal search for truth and beauty in the media. A voyage in consciousness for the millenium.
pyramid.png

Last edited:
I remember reading about pyramid power back in the 1970s.

They started with the wildly speculative but interesting premiss that the shape and proportions of a massive stone pyramid may have helped in preserving the mummy within. They quickly moved to the unrelated an extraordinary idea that you could make a cardboard pyramid at home and use it to sharpen razor blades.

As a teenager with little experience of the world, and parents who actively discouraged me from reading or being analytical, I tended to believe that anything in a proper published book must be true. However, this one stretched my credulity a long way.

I could sort of see how a large stone structure might create a particular environment conducive to the preservation of a mummy.

Rationalising 40+ years later, I'd say that in a hot country, a massive stone structure would maintain a stable internal temperature. The alignment of the flat sides might have an affect on absorption, reflection, or radiation of the sun's heat. Having a wide base might affect how the interface between the bottom of the pyramid and the ground beneath worked to transfer heat, maybe the ground acting as a heat sink.

I didn't think it through in this level of detail at the time, but the point is that it is not inherently implausible that a large stone pyramid might be optimised for preserving the remains of the dead in a stable environment.

However, then or now, I could find not the faintest shred of an explanation for why a cardboard pyramid would keep a razor blade sharp.

As I said above, I was in a mindset at the time that anything in a "proper published book" must be true.

The arguments in the books were supported by the evidence of "witnesses" and "researchers" and "experiments". How could I reconcile the obvious absurdity of a cardboard pyramid with specific proportions sharpening a razor blade, with the "obvious" (to me) factual accuracy of the books?

40 years later, the answer is simple: the books were based on lies or wishful thinking.

I am now free to read when I want, and analyse as much as I want, and I have spent years learning and practising critical skills. However, even now, in the back of my mind is the thought that "there might be something in it." I imagine this is how it is for some people who reject the religious faith of their youth, but can never quite let go of the guilt.

I remember reading about pyramid power back in the 1970s.

They started with the wildly speculative but interesting premiss that the shape and proportions of a massive stone pyramid may have helped in preserving the mummy within. They quickly moved to the unrelated an extraordinary idea that you could make a cardboard pyramid at home and use it to sharpen razor blades.

As a teenager with little experience of the world, and parents who actively discouraged me from reading or being analytical, I tended to believe that anything in a proper published book must be true. However, this one stretched my credulity a long way.

I could sort of see how a large stone structure might create a particular environment conducive to the preservation of a mummy.

Rationalising 40+ years later, I'd say that in a hot country, a massive stone structure would maintain a stable internal temperature. The alignment of the flat sides might have an affect on absorption, reflection, or radiation of the sun's heat. Having a wide base might affect how the interface between the bottom of the pyramid and the ground beneath worked to transfer heat, maybe the ground acting as a heat sink.

I didn't think it through in this level of detail at the time, but the point is that it is not inherently implausible that a large stone pyramid might be optimised for preserving the remains of the dead in a stable environment.

However, then or now, I could find not the faintest shred of an explanation for why a cardboard pyramid would keep a razor blade sharp.

As I said above, I was in a mindset at the time that anything in a "proper published book" must be true.

The arguments in the books were supported by the evidence of "witnesses" and "researchers" and "experiments". How could I reconcile the obvious absurdity of a cardboard pyramid with specific proportions sharpening a razor blade, with the "obvious" (to me) factual accuracy of the books?

40 years later, the answer is simple: the books were based on lies or wishful thinking.

I am now free to read when I want, and analyse as much as I want, and I have spent years learning and practising critical skills. However, even now, in the back of my mind is the thought that "there might be something in it." I imagine this is how it is for some people who reject the religious faith of their youth, but can never quite let go of the guilt.
No mummies have ever been found in any pyramid, well at least not dead ones a few thousand years old. They were buried in the Valley of the Kings.

Nicely put.
:hoff:

No mummies have ever been found in any pyramid, well at least not dead ones a few thousand years old. They were buried in the Valley of the Kings.
Thank you. I didn't know that.

However, the pyramidology books were based on the "pyramids of popular perception" rather than the "pyramids of archaeological accuracy". Like most readers at the time (40-odd years ago) I associated mummies with pyramids.

My memory of the details of the books is vague, but my memory of the impression they made on me is quite strong. I think that's how urban legends and other widespread misconceptions work: you hear or read something from a source that you consider to be reliable at the time. It gets filed away in the brain as a fact.

Over the years, the details of where you heard or read it are forgotten, and the fine details of what you heard or read get lost. What remains is the general, false, impression that there is something that everyone knows is true. The feeling of "Oh yes, I heard that too."

However, even now, in the back of my mind is the thought that "there might be something in it."
Yes, I know what you mean. I still feel I want to try a razor blade under a pyramid some day. Though not enough to have actually done it yet.

Yes, I know what you mean. I still feel I want to try a razor blade under a pyramid some day. Though not enough to have actually done it yet.
While I agree with the sentiment, this particular myth has been busted so many times we can perhaps consider buying new razor blades as ususal...or grow a beard (in my case). :curt:

I'm just wondering (speculating) about the origin of the razor blade idea.
Maybe an explorer said to another, 'the stones are so precisely fitted together, you can't even fit a razor blade between them'.
So after conducting a test, the second explorer found that the razor blade was sharper after he pulled it out from a gap in the stones...

Of course, someone said it was magic, when it was probably just abrasion all along.

I'm just wondering (speculating) about the origin of the razor blade idea. ...

The razor blade application of "pyramid power" dates back to 1959, when a Czech named Karel Drbal filed a patent for a pyramidal blade sharpener / sharpness enhancer. The patent claimed the sharpness effects resulted from something to do with alignment of magnetic fields / effects. The notion of magnetic influence maintaining blade sharpness dates back even farther. The authors of the 1970 paranormal book Psychic Discoveries Behind the Iron Curtain discovered one of Drbal's pyramid products during their travels and interviewed him. These authors, credited as the original source of the phrase "pyramid power" in the Anglophone world, claimed Czechs had coined the term sometime in the 1960s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_power

There are still people pushing the razor sharpening properties - as this website, which is likely a "pyramind scheme" of sorts! :)
https://pyramidrazorsharpener.wordpress.com/

Let’s take a more scientific look at this Pyramid Razor Sharpener stuff. There really is a great deal of talk about Pyramid Razor Sharpeners, but not much research to back it up. I don’t believe in the psychic stuff, but there’s one thing regarding the power of pyramids I am personally forced to believe.

O.K., so if you know about the power of the pyramid and just want to make one to see how it works, Click Here and Get You own Pyramid Razor Sharpener!

Now I am quite a cynical person and at first I basically wasn’t excited about hearing about my friend’s story regarding the secret of pyramids. He is right into his Pyramid Razor Sharpener and says there are a lot of secrets that pyramid structures hold. According to him you will come across mysteries surrounding the power of pyramid structures, but I told him the only power Pyramid Razor Sharpeners hold is over his sanity.

How a Pyramid Razor Sharpener Would Make me Rich!​

So Dave placed a bet. He bet me $20 he could prove to me a secret regarding the pyramids in a sensible scientific way. We can make a test, he said and I would essentially prove it to myself. I said I wasn’t inquisitive about his pyramid healing powers and his meditation stuff, but he assured me that it was to be a straightforward revelation concerning a test of the Pyramid Razor Sharpener. He sounded a bit certain of himself, as he always does, but who cares, I am going to be making 20 bucks!
So now, let me tell you that which we were to do....
Which searching for that, I found this on Tumbler - a classic pyramid razor kit:

Item: razor-sharpening pyramid; dull blades placed inside and aligned for one day will become sharp. “The pyramidal shape apparently focuses cosmic energy when precisely aligned on the north-south axis, which can renew the crystalline structure of good-quality steel.” –Len Castin, Psychic Discoveries Since the Cold War, Atlantis Rising Online

razor1.jpgrazor2.jpg

Back