• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pyrosomes

I do wonder if these might have been swimming around back in the pre-cambrian, before proper multicellular life arose.

Looks like a huge blue winky ...

I was thinking some seriously forced perspective there to begin with, also checked the date of the article. :confused:

Googling pyrosome, everything coming up seems to think this is legit.

Definitely another reason not to go in the sea. Especially in a Japanese schoolgirl outfit!

There's an excellent video of a diver's encounter with a 26-foot pyrosome around a volcanic island off the coast of New Zealand:

Pyrosomes are composed of thousands of smaller beings, called zooids, which help the pyrosome feed and navigate the ocean via jet propulsion, Sala said. Although pyrosome sightings are not necessarily rare, they typically are seen by divers and other people who spend a lot of time in the water.​
“I would say it’s remarkable and exciting to come across a pyrosome colony that size,”​
https://www.washingtonpost.com/scie...ith-foot-sea-creature/?utm_term=.4d37d48dc357

Back