• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

QR Codes Kill People

MrRING

Android Futureman
I know there was a book titled: QR Codes Kill Kittens: How to Alienate Customers, Dishearten Employees, and Drive Your Business into the Ground

But I hadn't heard of this twist before -apparently some folks are positing that they kill people - or so this person on Twitter believes this clips says.

Now, the lady in the clips actually says "QR killing" with a heavy accent, so she might be trying to imply something else other than QR codes are killing people. Does anybody know of any basis for this potential conspiracy theory?

By themselves, QR codes don't kill people. They're just a type of barcode. I've created a few myself for marketing brochures.

However, they could be used maliciously to send a mobile phone browser to a dodgy website that could inject a virus into the mobile phone's operating system. The phone's security could be compromised and then it could be used as a bot for hacking purposes. That hacking might do untold damage to a network infrastructure or some other system (power, gas, hospitals, for example). Deaths might be a possible consequence.

Back