• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Quitters: Members Who've Left The Forum

A

Anonymous

Just a question - there's a been a rash of self-inflicted deletions recently (or did the mods grow tired of their insolence? :D) and wondered if there was a common cause?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dark Detective said:
Just a question - there's a been a rash of self-inflicted deletions recently (or did the mods grow tired of their insolence? :D) [/SIZE]
The MB equivalent of "He fell down the stairs, m'lud." ;)

As for the deletions, there haven't really been any purges recently - do you mean US members leaving over the Iraq thread? If so, it's entirely up to the members themselves - tho if anyone annoys us we just bitch about them THROUGH THE VERY GOOD PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM

Why are people asking for the mods to ban them or change their accounts to guest anyway ?

In some cases cos they need to concentrate on other things, and the board is like an attention grabbing black hole, so they ask to be banned temporarily.

In other cases, they do it as a point of principle, or just to attract attention to themselves. BTW there's a difference between banning and "setting to guest" - banning just removes the ability to post or alter the account, and is reversible. "Setting to guest" is deletion, which is permanent removal from the board. 90% of our recent bannings have been at members own request, BTW :).

Cor Blimby! theres other ways to attract attention to youself that are much more fun.

Asking to be banned just for extra attention can be counter productive people might start talking about you behind your back speculateing as to the reason for your absence and what if they came up with a bad reason?

And its goodbye from him!

Having been messed about by a church going hypocrite, I feel it is time for me to say goodbyeas my time here is now spent.

Have fun! Tickets for Uncon are now for sale at a reduced rate, so enjoy that

And we'll meet again.

Adios Amigos

Lutz, don't do it. I flounced out in a huff and made myself look a right tit. Don't be a Tit. Talk to Uncle Younger about it.

And remind me - what happened to Blueswidow/Lillith? Did she leave or regenerate?

I'm getting all confused again. It's always the women that confuse me for some reason.

The Yithian said:
And remind me - what happened to Blueswidow/Lillith? Did she leave or regenerate?

She has left - we can hope she returns but....

The Yithian said:
I'm getting all confused again. It's always the women that confuse me for some reason.

They are from Venus and I'm afraid we would require a Universal Translator to eliminate all confusion (but surely that takes away all the fun?). The boffins are working on one but its early stages yet.

There seems to have a been a few people recently leaving or taking a few months break.As i still consider myself reasonably new on the board, is this normal? Obviously people will come and go but of late there appears more than normal amounts of exits.

sjoh9 said:
There seems to have a been a few people recently leaving or taking a few months break.As i still consider myself reasonably new on the board, is this normal? Obviously people will come and go but of late there appears more than normal amounts of exits.

It's only started happening since you joined. ;)

sjoh9 said:

People come and go all the time (on all message boards) usually they just stop posting.

Agreed, Emps. I'd also add, though (and this is not a whin(g)e about the MB change-over, and I'm not suggesting that people who are on 'sabbatical' don't have perfectly valid reasons for doing so) that the FTMB being down for a bit in December and the new format we've had for a couple months now might be somewhat related to this observation. It was/is, without being judgemental, a big change for the MB and longtime users of it. Not everone reacts the same way to change and I have liitle doubt that merely putting things in a different format, etc, etc, would/will end up changing the dynamics of the FTMB and those that post here.

I'm about to disable my PM notifications and naff off for the foreseeable future. So anyone who wants to PM me can either email me if they have the address, or get in touch with me through Lopaka, Mana or Sally, assuming she ever returns.
Bye, It's been fun! :D

Bye Beak! You'll be missed, but don't get too caught up IRL or you might never return. We've all heard the stories of RL obsessions which get out of hand, people are found slumped over IRL, having never seen a PC or a darkened room for weeks . . .

This may have been posted elsewhere - apologies if it has - but here's a message from Conners.

"Just to say tata to my chums on here after four years of ceaseless reactionary banter from yours truly. I'm sorry to have been banned, but I will stick to browsing from now on and won't try to register again. No hard feelings to the mods. I expected to be binned sooner or later as I have made life difficult for the mods over the years. Suffice it is to say that on any issue over which posters have disagreed with me, I was right and you were wrong! Contact one of my pals if you'd like to be in touch via email. All the best, Conners"

"Just to say tata to my chums on here after four years of ceaseless reactionary banter from yours truly.

Hmm, 4 years you say? A fair few posts in that lot, i'll be bound. I can feel an HC-esque homage coming on.

Maybe entitled, "Conners has the conch", in honour of the Golding book. Watch this space.

*Puts on gruff strine accent* He lives now only in my memory*

Conners: if you see this, respects and all the best. Haven't been online - don't know why you're banned but it's unfortunate.

Catch you out there... somewhere...
8)

Well gang, I think this is where I get off the Fort Bus to Clarksville.

I could take all the problems & headaches of this transfer of information, it's really no worse than other historical troubles, but I don't think I can live with creating content on this site that will be tacitly used to lure in people to "free subscribe" and recieve more spam in their lives.

I'm going to keep this account open, and if anybody knows of a good Fortean website that is free to public viewing & that could use some posts, then PM me - I hope to check again from time to time, maybe read new posts. But I can't contribute in a good-faith way here if the board isn't availible for public viewing.

Go Team Mod! I don't blame ya'll at all... in fact this is the best modded place online I've ever been to. But it's out of your hands. And I don't blame the FT mag either - this sounds like a stupid business idea that somebody thought would generate revenue.

Sorry you're going Mr R.I.N.G. you've posted some interesting stuff while you were around.

Mr R.I.N.G.,

C'mon mate, is a change of setup serious enough to give up. Wait until the spamming, detail-selling actually occurs. Give it a chance. Your contributions would be missed.

And no, i won't beg ;)

Hello all,

This is actually Fitz, not Baron Von Hoopla, but for whatever reason the name Fitz is no longer any good.

The new forum is a pain in the ass and I will no longer be reading or posting anything here. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

-Fitz

theyithian said:
Mr R.I.N.G.,

C'mon mate, is a change of setup serious enough to give up. Wait until the spamming, detail-selling actually occurs. Give it a chance. Your contributions would be missed.

And no, i won't beg ;)

Dennis would not be wise to attempt to spam or sell details against the wishes of posters. We all have the ability to complain to the e-Ombudsman about any shady goings-on.
Also, the popular press might well be interested in any malarky, should it occur. I'm sure that the stable of magazines owned by Future Publishing, Ziff Davis etc would enjoy the opportunity to run an article or two ;)

BaronVonHoopla said:
Hello all,

This is actually Fitz, not Baron Von Hoopla, but for whatever reason the name Fitz is no longer any good.

The new forum is a pain in the ass and I will no longer be reading or posting anything here. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

-Fitz

Sorry about all the BS, Fitz. You will be missed. :(

More by luck than judgement, I'm still here as 'rynner', and I am automatically logged on and can post without further hassle.

And so far I have received no unwanted spam or pop-ups (or snail-mail, perhaps because I gave a false post-code!)

But I sympathise with all of you who have had more difficulties, because for a while I thought I was in the same boat. And I'm sad to see people leaving because of it, although I must say I nearly did the same. (And I did get a lot more other computer work done while the Board was away!)

A total SNAFU, I'm afraid.

The life of this board has been nearly strangled out of it by the incompetent machinations of the bean counters.

Bah! :evil:

After all the recent technical snafus ( which had absolutely nothing to do with the Mods, who have my sympathies for having to withstand the hailstorm of bantha droppings hurled at them from indignant members such as myself ), and things having finally returned to some level of normality ( if such a term is even appropriate for this site! ) I feel I can safely say that it's great to have this thing up and running again...however, the very first spam/junk/spoof email I get that can be directly attributed to Dennis Publishing...I'm hoppin' on Nessie's back ( a trustier steed there never was ) and getting out of dodge. It's not that I fail to appreciate the subtle machinations of marketing, or the need to increase revenue. I just don't particularly like being manipulated.

Back