• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Quitters: Members Who've Left The Forum

for the record although i never liked your posts, i always liked your posts

I'll tell you what I'll do. Take off a few weeks. Grow yourself a beard. Draw flies. Just think about it for a while. If you still feel the same way when you come back, it's okay by me.
I think Rynner may already have the beard.

..It's not about politics and it's not about censorship, it's about how people consider it reasonable to treat each other.
As I said on the previous page, my ."..aim (is) more than anything to keep it inclusive, civil and about weirdness". Which I think we do quite well, if I'm honest.
When a person I've had on block for over a decade gets around it by becoming a mod..
Well, as he himself said, I made him a mod as I thought - and he has proven to become - a good mod. It wasn't just so you'd have to read his stuff. You continued..
..savages a disabled person in front of me for the utter audacity of expressing an opinion..
Implying further that he somehow forced you to watch, having cunningly got round your "ignore"? And said "disabled person" - qualifying "disabled" here may help. As others have said how are we supposed to know?
..then not only can't see anything wrong with that but is supported for it - I can't ethically continue to support this forum.
Supported? By me I presume, on thread? Yep. Stand by that entirely.

During this time did you at any point PM me with your concerns? No.

Do you think you may have taken all of this a little too personally?

Last edited:
possession of a disability does not give one the right to be rude or to disregard the Board's rules
but it should be taking into account while dishing out warnings.

I was annoyed by the changes to the board, i was annoyed by what seemed to me stu's snooty attitude,but no harm seems to be done to the board and i would excuse a snooty attitude in somebody on minimum wage, so somebody not getting paid should be excused everything barring a vicious chainsaw murder.

i flounced for a whole day last month, but this place is too informative and entertaining to part with, i wish the skipper would come back, i will miss him, but rules are rules, the mods do a lot of hard work ,we dont see exactly how much they do,but keeping the board running smoothly AND keeping us moody fucks in check must be very draining.

here's too the mods, i think i speak for us all when i say thank you all very much for all your hard work. i would buy the three of you a beer if i could but this will have to do. :beer:

I've been tempted to do a gypsy girl flounce myself at times but a) Nobody would notice, b) It would deprive me of some excellent web content and contribution to it and c) This site has a lot more that's good than bad.

Of course we've had people who've left and made announcements beforehand instead of simply filling in the form and handing over their badge and gun as many have before them.

I think Stu's made it perfectly clear he wishes the forum to reflect the nature of the mag and I agree with this. We can comment on this board as guests but it's worth bearing in mind the plug could be pulled on the FT and this site at any time.

Best use it while it's here I say.

Well, I never thought it would come to this, but after all the decades I've been posting here, it's no longer fun - in fact it's getting downright poisonous.

I'm referring to the heavy handed and immoderate modding that has recently been imposed on the MB, with stupid rules invented ten minutes ago for no perceivable benefit, and with random deletions of posts because of these rules.

The chief activist seems to be the Sorcerer's apprentice (who seems to have a down on me for some reason), but I fear the Sorcerer himself has taken his eye off the ball.

So farewell to all my friends here (I know I have some from the Likes I've accumulated :)), but under present conditions I won't be posting here again.

Oh, I almost forgot - we're supposed to add a comment - right...

FECK!
Please, don't go! If anyone is worthy of being a honorable member of this messageboard, it must be you.

There's a few of us that haven't flounced we've just got a bit pissed off that even in fortean threads people were told they were posting a load of shit. The politics postings has been awful for a couple of years as well.

I've always found it easy to go away for extended periods and then come back again. I've found that after about a week of not visiting the MB it's easy to move on to other things and quite healthy too.

I'm lucky that most don't notice I'm afk so I'm not accused of flouncing.:p

As for Rynner he has, in my last few months, been way over the top in nastiness and I hope a holiday does him some good as well. I've respected him for years and defended him a fair few times and was getting dismayed by his manner here.

The FTMB mods are still head and shoulders above all the mods I've encountered elsewhere even if you don't agree with them. If you doubt me go to an average football or game site and see how easy it is to get instabanned.

If you are feeling angry just take a break or use the ignore - just don't advertise that you are doing it.

Last edited:
And I like what Yith just said (though lately he's been bearing the brunt spectacularly - too much real life for me - I'll be more apparent by the end of this week.)

Whatever happened to the legendary Mighty Emperor? He was such a big deal here for a long time, and now he's completely absent. I hope if he left for good that he's doing ok - if somebody has more on his story that isn't fit for a public thread feel free to PM me.

This may well be because I am accessing the forum through an Android phone rather than via a Laptop or PC.

But I have gone through the various menus, and I can't find an option to delete my account.

This may perhaps be an issue with my Android phone, or perhaps it is an issue with the forum software itself.

I would like my account to be deleted and I would like all my previous posts to be deleted. I am sick and tired of the utterly obnoxious way certain members have treated me recently.

If I want to discuss UFOs, or ghosts, or Mothman, then there are a plethora of Reddit threads where people know how to act appropriately to each other.

I apologise if this takes up any extra admin time. But I would very much appreciate it if you could permanently delete my account and permanently delete all my past posts.

Thanking you in advance for your time,

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to learn recent irritations here on this forum, added to the ongoing series of hassles that have plagued you, has led to this.

Why not simply take a break?

Deleting your account can, of course, be done. However, it can't be undone.

Disposition of posts you've made during your tenure to date is a matter for the staff to decide, as per the Terms & Conditions.

This may well be because I am accessing the forum through an Android phone rather than via a Laptop or PC.

But I have gone through the various menus, and I can't find an option to delete my account.

This may perhaps be an issue with my Android phone, or perhaps it is an issue with the forum software itself.

I would like my account to be deleted and I would like all my previous posts to be deleted. I am sick and tired of the utterly obnoxious way certain members have treated me recently.

If I want to discuss UFOs, or ghosts, or Mothman, then there are a plethora of Reddit threads where people know how to act appropriately to each other.

I apologise if this takes up any extra admin time. But I would very much appreciate it if you could permanently delete my account and permanently delete all my past posts.

UNLIKE.

Anonymous-6085, I am tied up with work, but I'll message you tonight.

Edit: Check your inbox, mate.

I know how you are feeling and have taken a few breaks and those breaks are getting more frequent. I used to come here as a bit of a break from the shittiness of the world but that shittiness has certainly set up shop here.

The shittiness has become endemic in the wider Fortean community - have a look at many Fort-related groups and you'll see similar arsiness. It's tempting to speculate that wider sociological issues eventually find an out on forums such as this, and the sociology of the two main nations of which the membership is comprised is as screwed up as anyone can remember.

The question then becomes how we deal with this. I'm not aiming this at anyone here, but we often get reports objecting to what someone has said from people who then rant about freedom of speech. "Why don't the staff do something?" followed by "The staff are fascist bullies for doing something!"

If you look back, we have actually, for seventeen years followed a pretty consistent course, whilst the Fortean macrocosm around it has fluctuated wildly. We deal with things the same way we have fthroughout, bar the odd tweak. As I've said before, we do get it wrong sometimes: we're human, after all, but we do learn and that in turn means we're willing to listen before stuff goes critical, and losing veteran, knowledgeable and above all popular posters is worrying.

So - that there's a problem is self-evident. Let's take this opportunity to discuss what it is, ideas about how we get through it, and what to do to prevent it happening again. As it's primarily about people feeling compelled to leave, we'll keep it within this thread.

Let's hear your ideas and we'll keep it constructive, please. I don't want smart-arsery, I want open and respectful discussion.

I'm being a pioneer, the first to reply to Stu's question :parapet:

Okay, so... what is the problem exactly?

By its very nature this is a discussion forum, which means different people will have different points-of-view and certainly should not be made to feel they are only allowed to say things that others will agree with. (As long as they aren't out-and-out personal attacks, which I don't think happens here?)

There have been times where someone has said something which I (as I'm a rather sensitive soul) have taken as an affront. Sometimes I've replied back, other times I've just moved on from it and just decided not to engage any further. I understand, though, that it's not always easy to do that. (I will admit to several times telling Mr Zebra what someone has said in reply to me, and being rather upset about it, but Mr Zebra has helped me see that either (a) it wasn't perhaps what I initially took it to be, or (b) just forget about it and move on).

But.

While we have to reduce (if not stop altogether) people leaving for reasons such as what has led to this discussion (whatever specifically that is), we need to be careful that any 'changes' that are implemented do not force others out by way of stifling their ability to voice their opinion (within reason of course).

That would surely be equally tragic - and I hope that you'd all agree on that. (No one is "more" or "less" worthy to be here than anyone else).

It's about striking a balance, I guess... but I see it as a fine line.

While we have to reduce (if not stop altogether) people leaving for reasons such as what has led to this discussion (whatever specifically that is), we need to be careful that any 'changes' that are implemented do not force others out by way of stifling their ability to voice their opinion (within reason of course)...t's about striking a balance, I guess... but I see it as a fine line.
Absolutely - it's gossamer thin. Very easy to occasionally misjudge, even with years of experience. We can't always get it right, and nobody can expect us to do more than our reasonable best.
That would surely be equally tragic - and I hope that you'd all agree on that. (No one is "more" or "less" worthy to be here than anyone else).
Perfectly so.

Thank you.

To be honest I have only seen a little sharpness from some, but that may just be my perception, we all have our own, but all in all this is a great site and you do a great job. It is difficult to help if you don't see what needs doing. Sorry :shy:

My solution is just to 'ignore' anyone who annoys me. What you can't see can't hurt you.

I doubt anyone is reading this, for example.

I dunno, Carlos. there have been times when I had so many people on ignore that I was missing a significant amount of content and I still had to leave. There's a point in which you have to ask if a place is right for you, and in my case, it clearly wasn't.

I'm here so infrequently these days, especially though the week, that whatever has been going on there has gone over my head.

You wouldn't be the first person here to feel like quitting for good, even if you do end up changing your mind in a year or so. :(

Take a break and see if it helps. Certainly do block people just because you feel like it, some shit is just not worth getting your blood pressure up over.

Blocked some bugger on Facebook yesterday for a first attempt at trolling me. Not bothered about the why's and wherefores of that anymore, just can't be arsed coming in from work to read some flavours of shit.

ignore list is the key, i only use for crazies and obscurants rather than attention-seekers and trolls, somehow i seem to miss most of the spats regardless ... must be a hundred people on my dick-list, surely the longest on the board

TOTAL UNLIKE

just put the offending people on ignore, there are a few posters who disagreed with me and I put them on ignore, not because they disagreed with me but because they where rude about it, and made the Cardinal error of not being funny or interesting either.

This board is like life, a few obnoxious people can make you throw your arms up in despair, making it easy to miss the good honest people who are quietly making the world a better place with their humour, wisdom and wonderfulness, their are some lovely men, women and snails on this board, it would be a shame to lose them.

Back