• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Quitters: Members Who've Left The Forum

Maybe I'm oblivious (or maybe I'm so shitty I wouldn't notice), but I see very little on this site that's shittier or ruder than any other similar place, or indeed real life for that matter.

We all get more sensitive to perceived rudeness from time to time, but overall, this is a very friendly site, and it would be a great shame to lose any long-standing member of this board (even the ones I hardly ever agree with, which certainly isn't the case with Anonymous-6085, by the way!).

Last edited by a moderator:
just put the offending people on ignore, there are a few posters who disagreed with me and I put them on ignore, not because they disagreed with me but because they where rude about it, and made the Cardinal error of not being funny or interesting either.

Absolutely. However, remember that if someone'e being obnoxious they've automatically lost the argument so everyone can see what an arse they are.

@henry
on the other hand, you know ... maybe a cull ?

What are you? a Wraith?

This place is better, in some respects, than my real life, how sad is that?

With you on that. I've made good friends on'ere over the years, some of whom I've even met! ;) and I've been to weddings and outings and things with them. Uncon was good for putting names to faces or whichever way round it is.

In fact there have been actual FTMB weddings, where the happy couple met through chatting on the site. How about that then eh! Eh!

We're also had various FTMB Lotharios who've busily bonked their way through swathes of the more willing posters, over which shenanigans a veil must be drawn.

So yup, could write a book.

I would very much appreciate it if you could permanently delete my account and permanently delete all my past posts.
Very saddened to read that. I value your presence here.
No one is "more" or "less" worthy to be here than anyone else
Sure. And the trouble is this might be taken as carte blanche not to change behaviours which help create a toxic atmosphere and drive away other people who are equally worthy of being here. There are a number of voices speaking up now who had otherwise just quietly gone on sabbatical, and the forums were much the poorer for their absence. There are other names who have gone for good. It's not a healthy trend.

There's a grim irony in insisting that all viewpoints should be heard and that no-one should be forced to moderate the way they express themselves. Sooner rather than later it is only one sort of voice that is heard at all...

raises the question, who owns the posts once theyre published, can all posts for a particular user be zeroed

The trouble is, it is the anonimity <cant spell that, that can be the problem in some cases

raises the question, who owns the posts once theyre published, can all posts for a particular user be zeroed

No, not any more.

What we are legally required to offer--and can now do--is wipe a user's profile so that the record of their i.p. addesses while interacting with the board will be erased and all existing posts will be assigned to a non-searchable Anonymous account.

Although, strictly speaking, now we are hosted as part of the Charles Fort Institute (Peace be upon them) in a U.S. legal jurisdiction (God bless The Land of the Free), we don't technically have to adhere to this--or rather legal action against us for failing to meet these requirements is unlikely to result in our being legally forced to meet them.

I see all posts, deleted or not, and the single (long-term) member who insisted that his posts be removed, and resorted to letters to the Fortean Times' publishers to effect this, buggered up a good number of threads.

And, unfortunately, I can't name and shame him.

Last edited:
Sure. And the trouble is this might be taken as carte blanche not to change behaviours which help create a toxic atmosphere and drive away other people who are equally worthy of being here. There are a number of voices speaking up now who had otherwise just quietly gone on sabbatical, and the forums were much the poorer for their absence. There are other names who have gone for good. It's not a healthy trend.

There's a grim irony in insisting that all viewpoints should be heard and that no-one should be forced to moderate the way they express themselves. Sooner rather than later it is only one sort of voice that is heard at all...

My worry is that there could be an underlying sentimentality from some posters (NOTE: not all, I'm not making sweeping generalisations) that they'd be sorry to see certain people go, but really wouldn't mind if others were 'removed'...

on the other hand, you know ... maybe a cull ?

... which brings me neatly onto this. Please, tell me you were joking here, and that you aren't seriously suggesting that some posters should be removed from the forum because you don't agree with their viewpoints?

That would be an extremely slippery slope.

Ignore lists make many forums tolerable. They do have their downsides though. Some software hides the ignored so well as to make threads hard to follow, and have even led to unfortunate misunderstandings. I'd like to see some kind of marker between visible posts, indicating some buffoon commented in there. But it's worth a bit of confusion to be able to just let the twits flap their yaps to no effect, at least in the case of the ones ignoring them.

TOTAL UNLIKE
WTF is your problem? I have politely requsted that my account be deleted and I have politely explained the reasons why.

But for some random reason you have decided to act like an insenstive twat.

Fk you and Fk the horse you rode in on. Why on Earth you are a Moderator is completely beyond me.

Yes, that is what she meant, she cant like your post as she doesnt want you to leave

Not sure if it is the same here as never done it, but if you put someone on ignore the post is not seen but does it allow you to click and peek at it?

WTF is your problem? I have politely requsted that my account be deleted and I have politely explained the reasons why.

Fk you and Fk the horse you rode in on. Why on Earth you are a Moderator is completely beyond me.
I think she's saying that, like many of us (myself included), she values your postings and your presence on the board. People don't want to see you leave, so they're looking for away to address the problems you've experienced here.

Yes, that is what she meant, she cant like your post as she doesnt want you to leave

Not sure if it is the same here as never done it, but if you put someone on ignore the post is not seen but does it allow you to click and peek at it?

Yep. You get the option on each thread to view posts from ignored users.

I think she's saying that, like many of us (myself included), she values your postings and your presence on the board. People don't want to see you leave, so they're looking for away to address the problems you've experienced here.
To be honest, I find her comment unnecessary and offensive.

You yourself are someone I have the greatest of respect for.

But I'm done with the ridiculous farce this forum has become.

I think legally speaking, I don't have a leg to stand on.

My posts legally belong to the administrators of the forum. And I have no copyright over them whatsover.

But my personal preference would be that they are deleted entirely. From an IT point of view, this is surely relatively easy to acheive?

i think that might be the ethical position, it sounds like not technically straightforward though

just put the offending people on ignore, there are a few posters who disagreed with me and I put them on ignore, not because they disagreed with me but because they where rude about it, and made the Cardinal error of not being funny or interesting either.

This board is like life, a few obnoxious people can make you throw your arms up in despair, making it easy to miss the good honest people who are quietly making the world a better place with their humour, wisdom and wonderfulness, their are some lovely men, women and snails on this board, it would be a shame to lose them.
To be honest, I'm perfectly happy with Reddit. I don't need the utter farce this board has recently become.

... But my personal preference would be that they are deleted entirely. From an IT point of view, this is surely relatively easy to acheive?

From a purely functional perspective - yes, it's easy. I can eradicate all traces of you and your contributions (postings) in less time than I can recurrently ask you to take a break and chill, but ...

No - I'm not going to do it.

Previous flouncers have wrought considerable carnage within the forums by deleting posts before heading out the door. In some cases, entire threads have disappeared or been junked owing to such carnage. This latest edition of the forum is configured to prevent that sort of destructive mischief.

Deciding to leave these forums comes under the heading of your business.

Maintaining the forum content all members (ongoing and past) have contributed comes under the heading of our (the staff's) business.

Last edited:
From a purely functional perspective - yes, it's easy. I can eradicate all traces of you and your contributions (postings) in less time than I can recurrently ask you to take a break and chill, but ...

No - I'm not going to do it.

Previous flouncers have wrought considerable carnage within the forums by deleting posts before heading out the door. In some cases, entire threads have disappeared or been junked owing to such carnage. This latest edition of the forum is configured to prevent that sort of destructive mischief.

Deciding to leave these forums comes under the heading of your business.

Maintaining the forum content all members (ongoing and past) have contributed comes under the heading of our (the staff's) business.
I'm not flouncing. I'm simply politely requesting that you delete all my posts.

Please be assured that I'm not going to suddenly reactivate my account in a couple of weeks and demand that you suddenly reactivate my account and reinstate all my posts.

I'm through with this place.

I don't think that deleting my posts will cause entire threads to be "junked".

I was hoping this would be resolved quickly and amicably. I appreciate it involves the mods doing some extra work, and I sincerely apologise for the time this will take you.

But if I have to go down the legal route to ensure my posts are deleted, then rest assured that I will do so.

Lastly, I don't hugely appreciate your rudeness.

As people have said, it's a response to the idea we might lose you. In the same spirit as Yith's version some hours earlier.

If you would like to PM me a lead I can look at what is causing you concern?

Frides :)

.. I don't need the utter farce this board has recently become.
This is precisely what I was trying to address. We've heard this of late, I've acknowledged there's an issue, and I am in a position to do something about it. However, that means people actually telling me what they think is going wrong. PM me by all means. Or if you are currently disengaged from it, email me on [email protected]. I will listen, and I will reply.

Interesting that the person who thinks this Fortean board has become a farce has spent the last few days using it as a place to complain about neighbours and conduct a character assassination on a stranger who was trying to buy champagne.

Always sad to see someone leave, but, you know.....try and do it with some dignity.

Back