• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Quitters: Members Who've Left The Forum

Ironic that Anonymous-6085 is distinguishable from all of the other Anonymous-es by having their own four digit PIN number.

Not-quite-so-Anonymous? :)

It's actually a good idea though... whilst perusing old threads I've come across quite a few where there have been several different people, all called Anonymous, chatting back and forth, with no idea who is who. At least this way, we can recognise that more than one person is conversing.

Although hopefully we don't have any more Anonymouses... Anonymousi... people who leave.

having caught up with the relevant thread, which i never ever read, it seems to have been a tricky time for our friend over last period, with a number of adverse factors in play ... issues with neighbours can get nasty quick and can make you feel theres no safety zone in your life and no peace to be found ...

having caught up with the relevant thread, which i never ever read, it seems to have been a tricky time for our friend over last period, with a number of adverse factors in play ... issues with neighbours can get nasty quick and can make you feel theres no safety zone in your life and no peace to be found ...

Yeah, and the sad thing is that the majority of us were supportive and offered useful advice. Unfortunately 'Anonymous' focussed on the one person making negative comments and took those words to heart from what I can gather.

Yeah, and the sad thing is that the majority of us were supportive and offered useful advice. Unfortunately 'Anonymous' focussed on the one person making negative comments and took those words to heart from what I can gather.

But even some of the useful advice was taken the wrong way. Whatever was going on in 'Anonymous' life was overwhelming him, I think, and causing him to find problems in just about everything, no matter how small. Anxiety and stress can do that, and by all accounts he had loads going on. We can only hope he finds some help from somewhere.

Who am I supposed to talk tennis with now?! Anyway, I don't want to start amateur psychoanalysis, but when you're not in a good place you do tend to employ emergency procedures and lockdowns in an attempt to manage the situation. I say we let "Anon" be, he's having a tough time.

Who am I supposed to talk tennis with now?! Anyway, I don't want to start amateur psychoanalysis, but when you're not in a good place you do tend to employ emergency procedures and lockdowns in an attempt to manage the situation. I say we let "Anon" be, he's having a tough time.

3532wx.jpg

Graylien, I was asleep when this resolved and I can't now respond to your reply to my PM.

In the event that you come back and read this thread, my response would have been:

Fair enough, good luck and farewell.

Last edited:
My worry is that there could be an underlying sentimentality from some posters (NOTE: not all, I'm not making sweeping generalisations) that they'd be sorry to see certain people go, but really wouldn't mind if others were 'removed'...
Well, we're lucky here in that every poster is above-average. But you said earlier that no-one is either more or less worthy of posting here. True. And that first qualifier means that no-one has the right to indulge in habitually posting content that has the effect of driving other members away. I'm sad to see anyone go, especially long-standing members like GA. Go ahead, call me sentimental - I'd rather be that than cynical.

But note the first six words of the last sentence but one: I'm sad to see anyone go. Alcopwn posted a lot of interesting content, but he (I feel fairly safe in ascribing gender in this particular case) couldn't restrain himself when it came to the subjects of religion or masculinity. Consequently, he felt the loving correction of the ban-hammer. I miss some of his stuff (but not other aspects of it) and the same time I understand why he had to be temporarily banned. The precedent of removing posting privileges (and it is a privilege, not a right) from toxic posters is there, is correct IMHO, and should be heeded by anyone who thinks the cap might fit.

Last edited:
It just seems such a shame. He was obviously going through some bad, bad stuff in the real world, and has probably burnt some bridges that didn't need to be burnt. Sad times all round. I'll miss him.

Yes, nicely put. I've seen ordinary people at their worst and I'll take almost any of the posters here over that lot. It's a pity, but sometimes you just feel the world is against you, and how would any of us cope with that?

Interesting that the person who thinks this Fortean board has become a farce has spent the last few days using it as a place to complain about neighbours and conduct a character assassination on a stranger who was trying to buy champagne.

Always sad to see someone leave, but, you know.....try and do it with some dignity.

I don't think we should judge a guy who's been around awhile and offered a lot on a couple of posts he made recently. Anyone who has had to put up with potentially violent neighbours knows how harrowing it can be. He also confessed to be suffering from an anxiety disorder.

The champagne women sounded like a dithering arse too.

I think if someone self-requests a termination of their account It just it needs to be locked for a period of a month and if the requester has not asked for it to be reactivated it needs to be binned.

I think if someone self-requests a termination of their account It just it needs to be locked for a period of a month and if the requester has not asked for it to be reactivated it needs to be binned.
Genuine question, not smart-arsery: if you're locked out of your account, how would you request reactivation if you haven't made separate note of how to contact the mods? Could a couple of automated emails be set up? Eg one to confirm the request, and another in 28 days' time (ish) to remind? These could also include an email address to use if the poster leaving has reconsidered on the way to the exit.

Genuine question, not smart-arsery: if you're locked out of your account, how would you request reactivation if you haven't made separate note of how to contact the mods? ...

Anyone and everyone can contact the staff via email by clicking on the "Contact us" link at the bottom of every forum page. Even unknown visitors and banned members can use this channel to contact us.

... I think if someone self-requests a termination of their account It just it needs to be locked for a period of a month and if the requester has not asked for it to be reactivated it needs to be binned.

There's no single way that recommends itself as a routine. In and of itself, account termination isn't a big issue. It can be implemented almost instantaneously. However, our habit is to double-check that this is the member's firm decision rather than a possibly transient impulse in the heat of the moment.

The more tricky issue concerns any content the member has posted. The only processing we can try and impose for abandoned postings consists of stripping any personally identifiable data from them.

From my brief experience being a mod here (albeit, it was mostly to bust spam), the one incredible thing that the mods do here is take account deletion on a case-by-case basis. I realize that that's a lot to ask in a general sense, but when a long-time poster asks for their account to be suspended/deleted, I've always noticed the compassion in which that's handled...and I appreciate that.

That's all. Not really adding much, but it's something I noticed early-on and I wanted to say that I appreciate that personal touch.

Anyone and everyone can contact the staff via email by clicking on the "Contact us" link at the bottom of every forum page. Even unknown visitors and banned members can use this channel to contact us.

That link will transport your concerns to the 1960s condo that is our alternative MOD HQ:

Mod HQ.jpg

As you can see, we're on top of the correspondence!

That link will transport your concerns to the 1960s condo that is our alternative MOD HQ:

View attachment 18702

As you can see, we're on top of the correspondence!
I so want to move in to that
Yith, is that a pic of Rynner for your avvie :D It is how i picture him, I wonder how he is doing, any chance the coppers cant nip over again?

I so want to move in to that
Yith, is that a pic of Rynner for your avvie :D It is how i picture him, I wonder how he is doing, any chance the coppers cant nip over again?

Alas, we've failed to track down Rynner.

Our best guess is that he's offline completely now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am blind, I only just noticed this, thank you, this I did not know, not that I plan on getting banned, but it is still useful, in case anyone asks :D

I admit to having a strop myself not so long back. I find the internet in general, and being able to post daftness here when I feel like it is definitely a huge part of that, a great help with my anxiety/depression issues. It just took one tiny teeny mod comment on a post of mine to set me off (I am not blaming the mod for any of this) which is why I still haven't turned the show when online option back on. Kind of like the virtual version of hiding by the CDs at a party.

Not sure what point I was going for (what's new) other than to say its really easy to have a massive, unintended, effect on someone when you don't know them or can even see them.

Thanks everyone.

Back