• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

R.I.P. Derek Acorah

Yup .. he was in a coma apparently .. I haven't read about the cause of death or why he was in a coma yet.

Just reading about this now. Regardless of what you may think about him and his t.v antics, I had the pleasure of corresponding with him on a number of occasions over the years and always found him a true gentleman.

Just reading about this now. Regardless of what you may think about him and his t.v antics, I had the pleasure of corresponding with him on a number of occasions over the years and always found him a true gentleman.

Do you feel comfortable sharing the nature of this correspondence?

Good to hear, our own Eddie Mallet (Spit Spectral) in this pic is gutted, they were fond of each other although I never met Derek ..

aeddieandderek.jpg

I'm happy to accept that he was more of a gentleman (and entertaining actor) than a psychic.

Do you feel comfortable sharing the nature of this correspondence?

Absolutely. It was by email.
I have a hobby of contacting celebrities, hoping to receive a response from them.
Sometimes, naturally, I've hear nothing in return, however by being polite and by asking a non intrusive question or two, I often do get a response.
It was like this with Derek.
When I first discovered Most Haunted, there were very few shows of a paranormal nature on Australian tv. I sent Derek an email, a happy birthday Twitter message to Yvonne Fielding as well as an email to Ciaran O'Keefe. All three replied to me.
Derek's email was the friendliest, so I replied with a few more general questions about football and asking if he'd had any plans to tour Down Under.
A couple of times again I emailed him and he replied once more and again to me on Twitter remembering our previous emails.
As mentioned, always a gent and always gracious with his time considering how many messages he must have recieved each day.
I liked him and whilst I know he was the laughing stock of the psychic world ( see the website Bad Psychics ) I can't help but admire him for making a good career out of something he obviously enjoyed.

Most Haunted star Derek Acora has passed away aged 69 after a short illness. Thought I would post it on here as he has been mentioned a few times. Will he return from the ether to communicate with us I wonder? ( tongue firmly in cheek here).

... considering how many messages he must have recieved each day.
But messages from where?

His brand of nonsense isn't the most odious charlatanism associated with mediums (media?) I suppose. He entertained, and if he was a decent guy (I don't know otherwise), perhaps that's the important thing. Anyway, he became a part of our popular culture.

Rest peacefully, Derek Acorah!

I went to one of his shows, his persona was somewhere between used car salesmen, and old school stand-up comedian working the clubs (without the jokes). He could certainly work the audience, even though he had as many misses as hits.

Wonder if he'll be back in touch to let us know if it's all true?

A fairly ridiculous man, and all the obvious jokes have been made, but for those who cannot stand mediums he was the ultimate whipping boy, totally unconvincing and dragging his profession down with him. For that reason I suspect he will be missed by the sceptics.

We were once offered a chance to quiz him on here, but it came to nothing, alas. Maybe after he clocked the questions. RIP anyway. And he probably will, with his success rate.

Mr Zebra and I saw Derek Acorah in Felixstowe on two occasions., back in t'day. Doing some sort of show at the seafront theatre there.

Can't really remember much about the show now, mind you.

I met a couple of people who knew Mr Acorah well before his tv stardom, and both said he was a genuinely nice chap, who did have psychic abilities. They both said that his tv persona did not reflect his real personality or his real abilities. Whatever you may have thought of him, he was probably no less genuine than all the "reality" "stars" that have ever been on the tellybox. I enjoyed his performances when he first started appearing, whether faked or not. It was the antics of the other members of the casts of these shows which stopped me watching latterly. RIP Derek- you went well before your time.

Saw derek in York many moons ago.He really struggled with the audience.Not heckling more like we have paid our money get on with it.Apprently he was better after the show private readings etc.?

Derek: "Ooo Evvy, Could we go upstairs, d'you think? I feel there's a presence up there that wants to make contact.Oo can we Evvy?"

Evvy:...

Derek: "Evvy, now Karl's not here, I feel he wants us to hold hands. Can we, Evvy?"

Evvy: "Can we, fook. KAARL!!"

Back