• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

R.I.P. Derek Acorah

In contrast, this is a lovely tribute. Yours for only £2.90: The Derek Acorah mask.

Derek-Acorah.jpg

According to the feedback, though, the sizing is a bit hit-and-miss. Apparently small and large are fine, but you can't trust the medium.

....Regardless of what you may think about him and his t.v antics, I had the pleasure of corresponding with him on a number of occasions over the years and always found him a true gentleman.

Yes, I've met a couple of people who worked with him - by both accounts a top bloke, and I've heard it said elsewhere too.

A bit taken aback by how cold and dismissive Yvette's minimalist "tribute" to him was…

In his excellent book Will Storr Vs the Supernatural, the author claims that while visiting the set of Most Haunted he managed to filch a filming schedule from the TV company’s on-set PR rep.

While surreptitiously scanning the schedule in the bad light of a portaloo:

…I scan down the crumpled page. With a start, I notice that Derek has 'happenings' scheduled in advance: 'Yvette and Derek explain local folklore and have a happening'; ‘Yvette and Derek at St Nicholas Church - further happenings’…

Yvette Fielding was cofounder of Antix Productions, along with her husband, who also directed the shows. It’s improbable, to an aeronautically enabled pig level, that she wouldn’t have had access to schedules, and very possible that she was even involved in writing up those schedules. If Storr is telling the truth (and there’s no real reason the believe otherwise) then the statement…

…Yvette explained why Derek was sacked from the hit show. She said: “We tell people everything is real, then it turns out he was a fake, so he had to go.”

…is disingenuous to a level at which most normal people's pants would catch fire.

Last edited:
Yes, I've met a couple of people who worked with him - by both accounts a top bloke, and I've heard it said elsewhere too.

In his excellent book Will Storr Vs the Supernatural, the author claims that while visiting the set of Most Haunted he managed to filch a filming schedule from the TV company’s on-set PR rep.

While surreptitiously scanning the schedule in the bad light of a portaloo:

Yvette Fielding was cofounder of Antix Productions, along with her husband, who also directed the shows. It’s improbable, to an aeronautically enabled pig level, that she wouldn’t have had access to schedules, and very possible that she was even involved in writing up those schedules. If Storr is telling the truth (and there’s no real reason the believe otherwise) then the statement…

…is disingenuous to a level at which most normal people's pants would catch fire.
It's possible Derek Acorah promised the producers happenings beforehand.

My wife's mother rented her house to a couple who, after some issues, moved out. She kept saying what nice people they were. "Yeah," sez I, "who have 965 pounds of your money. Right now."

It's possible Derek Acorah promised the producers happenings beforehand.

If that were the case then I have a problem believing that the persons being lied to would not be partaking in the dishonesty involved in that lie to an equivalent degree.

Most Haunted was staged entertainment - with a bit of spontaneity thrown in for good measure; Fielding's treatment of Acorah - and her implication that he presented some kind of dishonesty which was unrepresented elsewhere in the show - was mean-spirited (no pun intended) and self-serving.

An event crew company I sometimes use once came straight to a job for me in Manchester from setting up gear for a filming of Most Haunted. Part of that gear was - according to them - an elaborate stage prop which had been made by a set company in London. It was placed in a room in the venue so that it could be 'discovered' by the team during filming.

Entertainment - maybe, if that's your thing. Serious documentary material - absolute bobbins.

Last edited:
If that were the case then I have a problem believing that the persons being lied to would not be partaking in the dishonesty involved in that lie to an equivalent degree.

Most Haunted was staged entertainment - with a bit of spontaneity thrown in for good measure; Fielding's treatment of Acorah - and her implication that he presented some kind of dishonesty which was unrepresented elsewhere in the show - was mean-spirited (no pun intended) and self-serving.

An event crew company I sometimes use once came straight to a job for me in Manchester from setting up gear for a filming of Most Haunted. Part of that gear was an elaborate stage prop which had been made by a set company in London. It was placed in a room in the venue so that it could be 'discovered' by the team during filming.

Entertainment - maybe, if that's your thing. Serious documentary material - absolute bobbins.
This is information which should be included in a book or documentary about the show.

An event crew company I sometimes use once came straight to a job for me in Manchester from setting up gear for a filming of Most Haunted. Part of that gear was - according to them - an elaborate stage prop which had been made by a set company in London. It was placed in a room in the venue so that it could be 'discovered' by the team during filming.

Exactly spook. That's what the show was meant to be, entertaining - and it was too.

But as a serious investigation into the paranormal, the show was on a par with Scooby Doo.

I came across a self styled medium who runs his own you tube channel a few years back. It was in a branch of Next of all places.

I heard him telling the cashier girls that he was the Briteins

Exactly spook. That's what the show was meant to be, entertaining - and it was too.

But as a serious investigation into the paranormal, the show was on a par with Scooby Doo.

I came across a self styled medium who runs his own you tube channel a few years back. It was in a branch of Next of all places.

I heard him telling the cashier girls that he was the Briteins

Sorry. I'm working from home on like the worlds smallest laptop, :D

I'll post later - 6 weeks later according to the news :(

Did they tell you what the prop was?

Did they tell you what the prop was?

As far as I can recall, I think it was a wooden chair with restraints attached to it - and I seem to remember that the location they'd been at was an old hospital. Sorry, can't be more specific than that - it was a few years ago.

As far as I can recall, I think it was a wooden chair with restraints attached to it - and I seem to remember that the location they'd been at was an old hospital. Sorry, can't be more specific than that - it was a few years ago.
Thanks .. and that's the final nail in the coffin of credibility as far as MH is concerned for me (although I agree they're entertaining performances) ... our ghost group were offered cash a while back to 'perform' a séance in a Norwich theatre, a couple of hundred quid between the three of us for an hour 'work' tops but we all agreed we're not entertainers and doing that would be a joke (would we even get paid if nothing supernatural happened or, more likely, would we be expected to 'camp it up' for a paying audience?) .. fuck that ..

It's still possible and, in my opinion, likely that MH have sometimes captured stuff they can't explain by sheer law of average alone but 'giving it a little help along the way' gives the rest of us a bad name amongst true believers.

We've done a couple of film invests that by no stretch of the eager imagination produced anything at all that could even be misinterpreted as paranormal, we don't even bother editing those videos to post on youtube. I've come to believe that a Least Haunted approach could still be interesting to viewers who would like to just watch what we do and how we go about it, pre warned that nothing thrilling is about to be presented .. sort of like watching a dull but otherwise informative video of someone sitting at the side of a canal explaining the equipment and techniques they're going to use to hopefully catch a fish .. and then not catching a fish but that wasn't always the deal breaker .. or a metal detectorist only finding a few bits of junk but you get to watch the methods ..

We put a token bit of spooky music on at the beginning of our vids, a few suggestive token dutch angles camera work (spooky looking building we're about to enter? .. position your camera low on the ground looking up at it instead of head height so it sort of looks bigger) and that's where our arty bullshit ends.

Back