• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rabbits (General; Miscellaneous)

A

Anonymous

Rabits?

remarkable animal... not native to Uk tho and on Time Team they said that in Saxon times they required speciel care to survive in the English winter ie warens... So whats thier normal range?... is say Denmark too cold? or is the weather so much warmer nowdays? I understand they originated in Spain?...what stoped them going into Greater Europe before?...

Re: Rabits?

sidecar_jon said:
I understand they originated in Spain?...what stoped them going into Greater Europe before?...

.......... wolves ?

As for rabbits, wherever they originated they would have fallen foul of wolves, but presumably a benign Mediterranean climate would have helped enable them to offset their losses.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK, rabbits originated in central/southern Europe and have since been introduced pretty much everywhere as they were seen as an easy food source and, of course, they breed like rabbits!

Jane.

originally from north-western Africa, Spain and Portugal but now widespread across much of Europe. Also introduced to many countries and islands, including Australia, New Zealand and Chile .... Rabbits were first introduced into Britain by the Normans and they were kept in large, enclosed warrens for their fur and meat. They have gnawing teeth and so used to be classed as rodents, but rabbits and hares have been re-classified into a group of their own, lagomorpha.
- http://www.yptenc.org.uk/docs/factsheets/animal_facts/rabbit.html

The rabbit did not arrive in Britain naturally. Rabbits were originally from North West Africa and Spain. In the late 12th century rabbits were introduced to Britain to produce meat and fur, but of course some escaped and started breeding in the wild.

One thing that rabbits are very good at is breeding. A pair of rabbits, in one year, will produce 30 young rabbits. If in the next year each of these 30 young rabbits finds a mate and has young then, at the end of two years, there could be 900 rabbits. If the rabbits are left alone to keep breeding then, at the end of 4 years, you could have 810,000 rabbits.
- http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/oldsite.nsf/LUPrintDocsByKey/INFD-52NKVG

sidecar_jon said:
what stoped them going into Greater Europe before?...
Tighter border controls. Unfortunately, rabbits are ineligible for passports though now we’re in the EU things have loosened considerably. This is good news for rabbits as they can now take advantage of cheaper cigarettes and booze.

sidecar_jon said:
I understand they originated in Spain?...what stoped them going into Greater Europe before?...
The Pyrenees?

Windwhistler said:
It was probably an accident. I've done it before myself, although in my case none of the bunnies got sucked up into the blades. Here in the States, rabbits nest in the open, in little depressions in the ground. They're actual nests, like bird's nests, but very well hidden, and easy to overlook when mowing.

That's because your 'rabbits' are actually hares. They always nest above ground.

Inverurie Jones said:
That's because your 'rabbits' are actually hares. They always nest above ground.

Hare today, gone tomorrow.

*I'll get my coat*

I'd always thought that rabbits were introduced to Britain by the Romans. Oh well...

They've caused havoc in all the places where British colonisers took them. I do believe that they helped to wipe out several Australian creatures - no, I'm thinking of the cat.

Rabbits suscpetibility to mixomystosis is very unfortunate. When I was a kid, I lived near a 'campus university' which was full of rabbits. Every summer the local kids' rabbits would catch mixo, and everyone would blame the university - the thought was that they culled the rabbits on their land using mixo, and that it spread by accident to the local pet rabbits. Hogwash, most likely. There was also a rumour that 'a white van' drove around our village, kidnapping cats so they could be experimented on. Ah, there's nothing like the stupid rumours country bumpkins think up when confronted by education...

Also, a friend of mine said that the phrase 'to let the cat out of the bag' dates from WW2 when market traders, because meat was scarce, caught cats and without their heads or tails could pass them off as rabbits. When the purchaser found out that it wasn't a rabbit at all, 'the cat was let out of the bag'. I would have thought it was a much older origin than WW2, though.:err:

Dansette said:
Also, a friend of mine said that the phrase 'to let the cat out of the bag' dates from WW2 when market traders, because meat was scarce, caught cats and without their heads or tails could pass them off as rabbits. When the purchaser found out that it wasn't a rabbit at all, 'the cat was let out of the bag'. I would have thought it was a much older origin than WW2, though.:err:

As far as I'm aware, it is far older than that. The idea was that market traders would stuff a cat, thrashing about, into a bag, and sell it to the unwary as a piglet. Quite how the dupe would fail to notice the meowing noise, I don't know, so mabe your, headless, tailless, rabbit-impersonator cats are the answer after all. On the other hand, the version I was aware of also took into consideration the saying "Never buy a pig in a poke". A poke is a small bag, and one would assume that it would be a bad idea to buy a pig in a bag, lest it turned out to be a cat, once you had let it out of the bag, into the pig-pen. However, I can't back that up with anything but pig-headed assertion. Oooff....

As for rabbits...the smell of an opened up rabbit is just about enough to empty your stomach. I can't understand anyone eating one unless they really had to...:cross eye

Re: Re: Rabits?

Dark Detective said:
Tighter border controls. Unfortunately, rabbits are ineligible for passports though now we’re in the EU things have loosened considerably. This is good news for rabbits as they can now take advantage of cheaper cigarettes and booze.

LMFAO

the smell of an opened up rabbit is just about enough to empty your stomach
Dont eat it while you still remember the smell.:rolleyes:

If you want smell try standing in the mountain of steaming stinking guts while dismantling a cow. Plastic rainproof clothes are mandatory.
Burgers loose their appeal for a few hours (or is that days) afterwards.

Dansette - I had forgotten mixie. Bio warefare against bunnies. It seems crazy now, could you imagine it being proposed today?

Amphi:

Was it an urban legend that spread everywhere about mixymotosis as a chemical weapon against rabbits? I wonder why... apparently flies carry it, so the biowarfare idea sound prehistoric! It's 'bad air'.:rolleyes:

Maybe it's because mixy is such a nasty illness. One of my rabbits died of it and it was so horrible to watch. He had milky, running eyes and shivered all the time, and I can still remember to this day watching him struggle on the vet's table when we left the room, crying because we knew that by the time we got into our car to go home, Starski would be dead. So maybe someone thought that such a horrible disease could be caused by their most hated entity at the time - for the locals in a backward village it was the new university which was built right next to them.

Who else has been accused in rumour of trying to wipe out rabbits with disease?

Hi Dansette

Its no UL see http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Rabbits/intervet.html

Originally, myxomatosis was imported from Brazil (where it was first discovered in the 1930's) to Australia in 1950. This was to control the massive populations of rabbits that sub-continent. In Brazil, the Cotton Tailed rabbit (Sylvilagus) is affected by the disease to a minor degree as only tiny lumps are produced by this self limiting disease. However, in Australia the disease was devastating and markedly reduced the rabbit population.

The disease was transmitted from Australia by a French Physician, Dr A Delille, who wished to control the rabbit population on his country estate near Paris. The disease rapidly spread into the wild population in France and then was brought, entirely by accident, from France in 1953. There is no evidence that the disease was intentionally brought into Britain but there is no doubt that some farmers moved the disease around using diseased rabbits to control the population of the rabbits locally

A natural disease spread deliberately is bio warefare.

Sorry about your pets. If you ever get another (or one for any kids) they can be vaccinated now.

Oh no! My poooooor old rabbit! Yes, I was impressed to learn that they can now be vaccinated.

But Starski - what a crap name! '& Hutch' - :heh:

And I found this on Snopes about cats in Chinese restaurants. I wonder if this is related to the 'cats sold as rabbits' story?

Dansette said:
Amphi:

Was it an urban legend that spread everywhere about mixymotosis as a chemical weapon against rabbits? I wonder why... apparently flies carry it, so the biowarfare idea sound prehistoric! It's 'bad air'.:rolleyes:

It's fleas that carry it.

Inverurie Jones said:
It's fleas that carry it.

possibly originally,but the reason pet rabbits need vaccinating now is pet rabbits that not only live in hutches but sometimes indoors or in sheds too,nowhere near wild rabbits,are catching it now. I think mosquitos are blamed but I'm not sure. They are catching it somehow! Myxamatosis was introduced by the Government purposfully into this country from Africa to control the rabbit population.

(I think rabbits appeared in Britain in the 12th century?)

Apparently, you can die of 'rabbit starvation'!.
The Hudson Bay Company has records of trappers dieing from eating only rabbit.
I thought this was an UL, but then read it in my mate's SAS survival handbook - so it must be true!:D
It said that your body uses it's own vitamins and mineral to digest the flesh and they are then excreted. Vitamin deficiency and weakness occur, eventually leading to death-by-scoffing-rabbit...

rabits also eat thier own poo!...to get max goodness out of it!

Marion said:
possibly originally,but the reason pet rabbits need vaccinating now is pet rabbits that not only live in hutches but sometimes indoors or in sheds too,nowhere near wild rabbits,are catching it now. I think mosquitos are blamed but I'm not sure. They are catching it somehow! Myxamatosis was introduced by the Government purposfully into this country from Africa to control the rabbit population.

The fleas that carry it are the same type that cats get (the vet told us all this when we got the Beast) so pet rabbits often get it as a result of attention paid to them by passing cats.
We don't have many mosquitoes up here.

I remember a story about a butcher who had a sign in his window "watership down" you have seen the movie now eat the cast.Made me laugh.:rolleyes:

FAT GERMAN RABBITS TO FEED POOR
Monster Bunnies For North Korea

By David Crossland

An east German pensioner who breeds rabbits the size of dogs has been asked by North Korea to help set up a big bunny farm to alleviate food shortages in the communist country. Now journalists and rabbit gourmets from around the world are thumping at his door.

It all started when Karl Szmolinsky won a prize for breeding Germany's largest rabbit, a friendly-looking 10.5 kilogram "German Gray Giant" called Robert, in February 2006.

Images of the chubby monster went around the world and reached the reclusive communist state of North Korea, a country of 23 million which according to the United Nations Food Programme suffers widespread food shortages and where many people "struggle to feed themselves on a diet critically deficient in protein, fats and micronutrients."

Photo Gallery: Giant Bunnies to Help Feed North Korea

Click on a picture to launch the image gallery (4 Photos)
Szmolinsky, 67, from the eastern town of Eberswalde near Berlin, recalls how the North Korean embassy approached his regional breeding federation and enquired whether it might be willing to sell some rabbits to set up a breeding farm in North Korea. He was the natural choice for the job.

Each of his rabbits produces around seven kilograms of meat, says Szmolinsky, who was so keen to help alleviate hunger in the impoverished country that he made the North Koreans a special price -- €80 per rabbit instead of the usual €200 to €250.

"They'll be used to help feed the population," Szmolinsky told SPIEGEL ONLINE. "I've sent them 12 rabbits so far, they're in a petting zoo for now. I'll be travelling to North Korea in April to advise them on how to set up a breeding farm. A delegation was here and I've already given them a book of tips."

Greedy Rabbits

Szmolinsky knows what he's talking about. He has been breeding rabbits for 47 years. The 12 bunnies he sent can produce 60 babies a year -- if the North Koreans find enough food to feed them properly. "I feed them everything -- grain, carrots, a lot of vegetables. At the moment they're getting kale," said Szmolinsky.

NEWSLETTER
Sign up for Spiegel Online's daily newsletter and get the best of Der Spiegel's and Spiegel Online's international coverage in your In- Box everyday.

"One rabbit provides a filling meal for eight people. There are a variety of recipes such as rabbit leg or rabbit roulade. No one buys rabbit fur anymore though, I just throw that in the bin," says Szmolinsky with chilling dispassion.

He breeds between 60 and 80 rabbits per year and manages to stay emotionally detached enough to send the furry, innocent-looking, huge-eared creatures to slaughter. Asked if he has any pet bunnies he could never part with, he said: "You can't hang on to them, if you did you wouldn't be able to breed them."

Szmolinsky's North Korean connection has attracted media attention from around the world, and he seems to be getting tired of it. "I'm getting ambushed by camera crews," he said, adding that he was booked up with interview appointments for days. "There's a Japanese crew flying in from Paris later."

Potential Chinese buyers have also expressed an interest. Szmolinsky doesn't know how many more rabbits he will be sending to North Korea and said he definitely wouldn't be increasing his own production to satisfy growing demand from Asia.

"I'm not increasing production and I'm not taking any more orders after this. They cost a lot to feed," he said.

Article Link

Ancient El Niños triggered Baja bunny booms
Date:
June 4, 2015
Source:
University of Utah
Summary:
At times during the past 10,000 years, cottontails and hares reproduced like rabbits and their numbers surged when the El Niño weather pattern drenched the Pacific Coast with rain, according to an analysis of 3,463 bunny bones.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/06/150604084612.htm

Feral Bunnies Are Taking Over Las Vegas
They've overrun yards, state parks, and even a mental health facility—and no one knows what to do with them.

By Cara Giaimo FEBRUARY 01, 2017

In early 2015, Dave Schweiger, a longtime Las Vegas resident, came home from work to find his teenage daughter sitting on the lawn, surrounded by six bunnies. These weren’t the dun-colored jackrabbits of the Nevada desert: they were bonafide domestic bunnies, sleek and multipatterned, with cute ears and fuzzy coats. The Schweigers, who are animal lovers, were unfazed. They started buying extra carrots on their weekly trip to Costco.

But six bunnies doesn’t stay six bunnies for long. Within two months, there were 24 living under the Schweiger’s shed. When, with the help of a local rescue center, Dave caught them and took them to the vet to get neutered, he found out several of his new friends were pregnant again. “In another month, we would have had over 50,” he says. If they hadn’t taken action, the Schweigers’ yard might have turned into a common, but little-known Sin City feature: the bunny refugee camp.

image.jpg

Rabbits dart through the mental health facility at night. BEYONDEARTHLY/IMGUR
The yards, parks and lots of Vegas are home to thousands of feral rabbits. Known as “bunny dump sites” to the legions of volunteers that care for their residents, they’re strange places, more tragic than adorable, where the human heart clashes with the limited resources of the state. Released by overwhelmed pet-owners and left to breed, the rabbits now overwhelm any attempt at government control, digging up public property, chewing on pipes, and ending up dead in the sewers. To survive, they depend entirely on the kindness of self-identified “bunny-lovers”—volunteers faced with an impossible task.

Schweiger works near one of the more legendary dump sites, a state-run mental health facility in the center-west of the city. It’s home to hundreds, if not thousands, of rabbits—although if you didn’t already know that, you might not find out. “You go out to the field and you don’t see any,” Schweiger says. “I start throwing out hay, romaine lettuce, and carrots, and they just come out of everywhere.”

Schweiger runs an awareness-building website called Las-Vegas-Bunnies.com, and often meets other concerned citizens at this particular site to feed and check on the rabbits. In a video from his most recent visit, scores of excited bunnies traipse over the dead grass and under the picnic tables as volunteers strew bits of lettuce across the ground. ...

http://www.atlasobscura.com/article...2_2_2017)&mc_cid=7a0699ac5b&mc_eid=2cf1df25b9

Cwazy Wabbits!

Sounds like what happened in Australia in the 1950s may be brewing there. I hope they find a more humane solution that myxomatosis.

Back