• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Racist My Little Pony Fans

I stated he was 'openly gay', which, on reflection, is a misleading oversimplification of the situation during his active neo-Nazi years. Crane doesn't seem to have had much of an issue with his own sexuality at all, and juggled both aspects of his life without that sense of tortured furtiveness that blights the lives of some. His denials have the air of being almost half-hearted, and I think that's because he knew he didn't have to try very hard, for several reasons: he was utterly idolised; he was nails - and no-one in their right mind wanted to risk having it out with him; the extreme right was simply much more in denial than he was.

There is a long BBC News article on Crane somewhere that I think mentions the pub meetings. But I've got a paper article in a box of old research stuff that I think even names the particular East End pub which was the venue. (Long time since I've been in those boxes - not sure I dare go back.)
According to Garry Bushell Crane never came out as gay in the late 70s/early 80s when the Skinhead revival was ay it's peak (1978-1982) and had a few girlfriends with his mach image but after leaving prison in 1984 things might have changed as he was refused a job as a steward at Pride festival 1986 and there is picture of him with a smaller younger Skinhead on that day.

You know my gripe but the Skinhead was that late 60s/early 70s years change depending on region but why did the Skinhead fashion morph into that horrid Glam Rock look The Boot Boy which lasted longer then the original Skin/Suede/Smooth look.
From smarter 3 button suits and clipped hair into that long haired, long collared flared trouser.

In short I don't know, why do fashions change? We morphed into the Boot boy look, double denim, wide jeans, but then those of us who were young enough (I was 20 in '78) went back to the original skin look.

In short I don't know, why do fashions change? We morphed into the Boot boy look, double denim, wide jeans, but then those of us who were young enough (I was 20 in '78) went back to the original skin look.
Very strange and I blame the Hippies for the start of the flare fashioned back in 1967 but looking at Northern photos the Suedehead look was still popular in 1973 with Scooter Scene but after that it went all out long hair and flares and same with the Northern Soul scene :(

Have you seen 'This Is England', Mouldy13? I love Shane Meadows' films.
These were astonishing films. I could put the name of a real person I knew to most of the main characters. How the writer and the actors were able to portray that era and "scene" so accurately, amazed me.

These were astonishing films. I could put the name of a real person I knew to most of the main characters. How the writer and the actors were able to portray that era and "scene" so accurately, amazed me.
I had a friendly mates argument about it as he said it was 'Rose Tinted Glasses' about as he said there was no Skins in his area and school but he was living in a middle class area and I said there was plenty of tribes in my school and area and that includes Mods, Punks, Metal heads and Goths in 1983.

I went to college with Shane who was still a skin in '90 .. a lot of those scenes are his memories of the early 80's scene.

I feel compelled to ask @Min Bannister, have there been times in your life when you have walked out of the door naked?
Not as such but there have been a few near-pyjama incidents and a couple of "I'll put a t-shirt under this zip top later and definitely before I leave the house" actual incidents. And I did once appear on parade in the army whilst still wearing my nightie on under my uniform. They didn't notice though so that was okay..

I went to college with Shane who was still a skin in '90 .. a lot of those scenes are his memories of the early 80's scene.
I thought that must have been the case. The acting from the main characters really nailed it though.

One day, no one will use the expression "openly gay" because there will be no remaining vestige of stigma, and people will have lost their prurient fascination with the sexuality of people whom they have no intention of shagging.

It is impossible to verify, but I suspect that the percentage of homosexuals (the aggregate of "open" and "closet") in any group of Nazis is roughly equivalent to the percentage of homosexuals in a cross section of wider society.

We seem to have moved a long way from the opening post about My Little Pony. Naziism and homosexuality are not Fortean in any real sense. However, the association between "Nazis" and a children's TV show/franchise about brightly coloured, benign, cartoon ponies certainly has that Fortean characteristic of being anomalous. It makes no obvious sense apart from the so-called "irony" of nasty bigots claiming to like something that is tackily wholesome.

Personally, I will be glad when irony starts to take a back seat in our society again. It has become all pervasive: an excuse for lazy thinking and bad behaviour, an easy rationalisation for causing offence, and the basis of a prevalent attitude that nothing really matters enough to care about. Irony should be the seasoning in the dish of life, not a substitute for the protein.

Personally, I will be glad when irony starts to take a back seat in our society again. It has become all pervasive: an excuse for lazy thinking and bad behaviour, an easy rationalisation for causing offence, and the basis of a prevalent attitude that nothing really matters enough to care about. Irony should be the seasoning in the dish of life, not a substitute for the protein.

Irony is a worthy tool when it is employed to deconstruct.

The simulated ignorance of the faux-naif can be used to lay bare hypocrisy, illogicality and venality at a single stroke; it tacitly asks 'Would you buy this?', 'Would you say that' or 'Would you think thus?', and then silently mutters, 'Of course you bloody wouldn't.'

It's the rhetorical equivalent of warning, 'Don't insult our intelligence with this nonsense.'

Simply being a twat and then saying 'Oh, but it was ironic' is simply being a twat.

I used to do the National Scooter Rallies in the 1980s after the Mod Revival and The Scooter Scene was fun right up to 1989 and bands like Screwdriver was still popular alongside Ska, Northern Soul and Psychobilly.

Most of Psychobilly wouldn't have anything to do with Screwdriver.

Last edited:
One day, no one will use the expression "openly gay" because there will be no remaining vestige of stigma, and people will have lost their prurient fascination with the sexuality of people whom they have no intention of shagging...

We can hope. But, even in such an ideal future, it would be decidedly odd - in fact, nothing much less than an act of historical whitewashing - not to acknowledge such a situation within the context of particular political, religious or social environments; namely, those that vilified homosexuality. Which is how it was used in the context of this discussion.

One day, no one will use the expression "openly gay" because there will be no remaining vestige of stigma, and people will have lost their prurient fascination with the sexuality of people whom they have no intention of shagging.

I thought it was pretty common that those that get uptight about homosexuality think about what it would be like ALOT.

One of the great things about the last couple of decades is that we can stop getting uptight about this crap.

There seems to be a Neo-Nazi subset of any hobby:

nazi furry.jpg

Im disturbed by folk of all political slants liking a cartoon aimed at 4 year old girls, to be frank.

Im disturbed by 4 year old girls, when they give me that grim judging look; "We know you, you dont wear pink and you arent into unicorns" look...

I thought it was pretty common that those that get uptight about homosexuality think about what it would be like ALOT.

One of the great things about the last couple of decades is that we can stop getting uptight about this crap.
Being the age I am younger people seem to assume I'd have a problem with homosexuality - I don't. Even my friend Karen (half my age) was hesitant about revealing her lesbianism to me when she got engaged to her friend Amy.

The thing that people don't realise is that prejudice is an individual thing. While there was prejudice against gay people - institutionalised prejudice - it was never universal prejudice. There always were people like my Dad who felt what went on in bed between adults was their own business and nobody else's.

Being the age I am younger people seem to assume I'd have a problem with homosexuality - I don't. Even my friend Karen (half my age) was hesitant about revealing her lesbianism to me when she got engaged to her friend Amy.

The thing that people don't realise is that prejudice is an individual thing. While there was prejudice against gay people - institutionalised prejudice - it was never universal prejudice. There always were people like my Dad who felt what went on in bed between adults was their own business and nobody else's.
Good for your dad :)

My own late father was actually a big enough man to change his mind about homosexuality over the course of his life, he was born in 1937 and realised his prejudices weren't rational sometime around the mid 80s.

Most of Psychobilly wouldn't have anything to do with Screwdriver.
Completely agree and most of the Screwdriver and Oi fans in truth had nothing to do with the Scooter Scene but bandwagon it as used them as music festival to kick off with like the Great Yarmouth rally in 1985 when Scooter less Nazi Skins kicked off with Desmond Dekker but were chased of by scooter crews.
From the late 70s to mid 80s Skins caused a awful lot of trouble at gigs be Punk, 2Tone, Oi and the Scooter Scene sadly.

Back