• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Radio Interference

A

Anonymous

Has anyone noticied that when you stop at a red light the radio gets all static and you cant hear anything.No. Well next time you stop at a red light take more attention at your radio. They're trying to follow us and listen to us!!!!!

I don't suppose you're serious. Ever heard of EM-interference?

How easy is it to interfere with a radio signal? Sometimes just moving slightly on the far side of the room seems to do it. I occasionally wonder if it would be possible to actually cause interference by concentrating on it. Does anyone have any experience of doing this, voluntarily or otherwise?

Since your body produces radio waves, it should be theoretically possible to do it.

Xanatic says:

Since your body produces radio waves, it should be theoretically possible to do it.

That's interesting. What structure in the body produces radio waves? I thought that it required accelerating electrons and stuff.
Can they be picked up by a normal radio receiver?

Well, your body does have electrical currents. Your nerves have power running through them. I think you'd need quite a good receiver to get anything out of them though.

The human body definitely does affect FM reception (mine does, anyhow!), but I believe it's to do with capacitance and conductivity, rather than the body itself emitting radio waves.

In other words, your body interferes with the reception of the signal. My bedside radio is sometimes affected by whether my arm is stretched out one side of the bed or the other, but it's also affected by where the aerial (a simple legth of wire) is pinned up.

Rynner, you're correct. This effect is superbly exploited in the Theremin. (As heard on "good vibrations" by the Beach Boys, as well as on many dodgy 50's SciFi films.)

On the subject of radio interference, signal lights are controlled by big, voltage-sucking electrical and sometimes computer hardware. Next time you're at a light, look for the big silver (ok, over here they're silver) box attached to the poles holding the signals up. That could easily be your culprit.

Anything can really interfere with a signal. I can turn my stereo up and down my rocking in my chair. But what I mean with the body's own radio signals was the part that it should be able to be done by will. Though I doubt you would be able to hear any effect.

Anything can really interfere with a signal. I can turn my stereo up and down my rocking in my chair. But what I mean with the body's own radio signals was the part that it should be able to be done by will. Though I doubt you would be able to hear any effect.

So where in Good Vibrations do they use a theremin? And as for musical instruments you don't have to touch, there is a great Danish sketch you should see.

As to interference on radios when at traffic lights, as previously posted, large electrical sources can easily affect them. If it bothers you too much you can always try to find a better suppressor for the electrics to the radio itself, might help but probably not worth it.

We have this problem with radio mics and sometimes you just have to be careful were you place the receivers or you end up losing signals, esp. if there is a large power distrobution system between it or a dodgy taxi with high powered transmitters.

the body has certain mineral salts which in theory can act as radio recievers many modern walkmen rely on this
car radio's recievers are on the outside of the veichel
EM interference will not do this as the earlier tit suggested as EM effects on radio waves has been proven minimal to the point of unexistance during police tests for there radios

now pies are tasty so lets forget how great i am and remember about these gorgeous pastry products

no more arguing i am god....

wait its dog

Who are these peope tracking us, and who's the doing the huge amount of data analysis required?

Speaking as a freelance economist (read: unemployed data analyst) I think I should be told!

And another thing... (sorry, feel a rant coming on... need to lie down) :eek:

J.

Well, your body does have electrical currents. Your nerves have power running through them. I think you'd need quite a good receiver to get anything out of them though.

I can certainly vouch for the fact that our bodies do have electrical power (presumably; variable, direct and static currents?)

But, what about the unused power that is generated - does that just flow to the first earthing point, or does it get redirected and accumulated in some kind of reserved form - maybe linked to build up our overdrive - adrenalin?

Assuming that it somehow stores an excess of energy, like a battery, this presumably sets up our own magnetic field, the 'aura' that each of us are said to have.

I've noticed (as I still use my old FM Radio daily that the signal is always more-or-less constantly variable from one day to the next, having to reposition it elsewhere to pull in a clear enough signal, or sometimes no appreciative discerning signal at all - all down to radio or a host of other deflections, and other sources.

Probably, our bodies also get 'attacked,' or 'interfered' with by these outside forces/influences all the time, just that our senses (variable) are not so aware of it?

Walk back from your car till the key fob won't unlock/lock the doors,
now press the key blade to your head and press it again to do with
capacitance.

I was involved some years back with a problem were cars would not
unlock near certain places it was found that someone thought it a good
idea to put the key fob on 433mhz right in the most used part of a shared
military ham radio band better filters mostly cured it but allsorts of things
can happen.

Back