• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Radioactive Cat Poo

The annanova link didn't have info in it, so I think this might be the same story.

News Briefs for the Week of November 18, 2002

By Marcella Durand for The Daily Cat

* Department of Environmental Huh?

A state wildlife official was caught expressing his disdain for wildlife in a discussion about how to control stray cats. The group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) secretly taped biologist Doug Little, who works at the Department of Environmental Conservation (NYDEC) in Stonybrook, New York, giving advice straight out of the Dark Ages to a caller posing as a concerned citizen. Little advised the caller to drown an unwanted stray cat. "I would leave them in there [underwater] for five minutes, just to be sure," he said. "I would hate to pull it out then have to put it back." On October 29th, Little admitted to offering the advice (the call was made October 2nd), and even added, "You can trap and destroy them if they are not somebody's pet."

According to PETA, NYDEC has agreed to draft a policy strictly forbidding NYDEC representatives from promoting the use of drowning to control wildlife and cats, and that Little has been reprimanded. "We are very pleased that [NYDEC] is taking steps to prevent future cruelty," says Stephanie Boyles, PETA's wildlife biologist.

* Embarrassing Evidence Leads to Poo Penalty

Talk about being caught red-handed! When William Jenness decided to throw away his cat Mitzi's waste-which was radioactive after Mitzi had been treated with an injection of radioactive iodine for her hyperthyroidism-instead of flushing it down the toilet as his veterinarian told him to do, it set off alarms at his local incinerator in Rochester, Massachusetts. Workers then managed to backtrack the poop to Jenness, thanks to finding some mail with his name and address lying nearby.

The cost of the treatment and the fines for improperly disposing of radioactive feces total about $5,000, but Jenness says it was all worth it because Mitzi is doing well. This type of treatment for hyperthyroid kitties makes them radioactive for some weeks, so owners are strictly advised to limit petting time, to keep the cat away from children and pregnant women and to use gloves when (and here's the important part!) flushing the waste down the toilet. Apparently, Mitzi's poo was especially large and tough (but Jenness didn't mention whether it glowed in the dark). "I was afraid of my septic system being clogged," he says.

We have to admit we wonder whether the incriminating evidence was returned to Jenness. And where does radioactive poop end up after it's flushed?

http://www.catsplay.com/thedailycat/200 ... 11-18.html

When I had that treatment for my cat I was told to keep all the cat waste in a closed container for at least 30 days (I think it was that long. It may have been longer.), after which the radioacitveness(?) was so little as to be harmless, and it could be disposed of along with regular garbage. My cat is doing fine, and has been now for nearly ten years!

Back