• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Raelians

Maybe you both should go topless more as well. Join in. Solidarity with the sisterhood.
I'm content to just watch from the sidelines.

I think the reason this was so low profile was down to hardly anyone taking the organisers up on their offer. No sidelines for you!

I've been reading some books on UFOs recently, and one of them included a picture of a hairy lad with a swastika necklace. I googled his name and when an image popped up of the same lad in a white suit, I realized that I had seen him before.

I had seen Rael on the Late Late Show when I was a kid; I remember being genuinely shocked at how silly the man sounded. The interview always stuck in my head. I'd recently thought of looking him up, but I didn't know his name. After making my discovery, I did another quick search and I found footage from one of his earlier appearances on the same show! Isn't the internet great?

This is one of the rare occurrences when Gay Byrne's swarminess is actually rather enjoyable. What a wally!

I met a very early Raelian in the 1970s, driving a 2CV. He gave me a lift, and we talked cosmology in French (at least I think we did- my french was pretty poor.) The Raelians were already full of nonsense back then.

They haven't gone away you know.

Raelian movement in Ireland: ‘Some think it’s a cult but it’s nothing like that’
Moya Henderson leads a religion which claims we are the ancestors of extra-terrestrials

about 11 hours ago
by Graham Clifford

“With the greatest of respect Claude, a lot of people would describe you as a nut,” – it’s a winter’s night in 1988 and Gay Byrne is in full flow.

Frenchman Claude Vorilhon, founder of the ‘UFO religion’ Raelianism, smiles as the Late Late Show host, and the studio audience titter.

The former sports-car journalist is telling the Irish nation that we all actually derive from extra-terrestrials, that they’ve taken him to their planet and that we’re to build an embassy on earth to welcome them back again.

Vorihon (or ‘Rael’ as he’s referred to), dressed in all white with a dark beard and a large pendant around his neck, doesn’t look like your average Late Lateguest of the grey 80s.

At its height the Raelian Movement had 200 members in Ireland but the figure today stands nearer 60
It's fair to say that few in the studio, or across the country, take him seriously.

But in a sittingroom in Artane a thirtysomething-year-old civil servant is intrigued by what she hears. She isn’t sniggering – on the contrary Moya Henderson wants to know more.

“He talked of how the bible was written in old Hebrew and then translated into Greek, Latin and other languages but that the word ‘God’ was mistranslated. The word in the original bible was ‘Elohim,” says Henderson, the head of the small Raelian Movement in Ireland.

She continues: “The Elohim means ‘those who came from the sky’ and it was they who made us and the world as we know it.”

Two days after that Late Late Show item she went to Liberty Hall for a public meeting where Rael was selling his book, speaking about his religion of peace, meditation and respect and hoping to sow the seeds of an Irish branch of his movement. ...

At its height the Raelian Movement had 200 members in Ireland but the figure today stands nearer 60. Internationally its is claimed the religion has 90,000 followers (though the actual figure is thought to be closer to 20,000) – the majority in Canada where the Raelian Movement is at its strongest. ...

And around Henderson’s neck is the Raelian symbol pendant – a Swastika encircled by the Star of David. ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...g-like-that-1.3575205?localLinksEnabled=false

Wait wait wait- we are the 'ancestors' of extraterrestrials? How does that work?

And around Henderson’s neck is the Raelian symbol pendant – a Swastika encircled by the Star of David.
Yeah, that symbol - it's deliberately provocative, I think.

Something similar occurs in Iain M. Banks's excellent novel The Algebraist. Ancient humans, kidnapped and taken thousands of light years away in antiquity, have formed an advanced civilisation that exists throughout the galaxy, and we are the poor relations. This fictional version of the universe has aliens (human and very non-human) on every rock and comet, all staunchly defending their territory.

An intriguing idea, except for the fact that the advanced alien humans seem entirely happy to allow us to wallow in shit down here.

back in the day Brigitte boisselier May have been able to talk me into the ufo cult , lol .

back in the day Brigitte boisselier May have been able to talk me into the ufo cult , lol .
She also has a Master's and two PhDs. A very smart cookie.

She also has a Master's and two PhDs. A very smart cookie.
I met Rael and Brigitte once, should have some photos somewhere. I bought a couple of their books and I noticed one had a sticky label on the cover, further investigation showed it be covering the swastika logo, so there seems to have been a bit of embarrassment for themselves.

I met Rael and Brigitte once, should have some photos somewhere. I bought a couple of their books and I noticed one had a sticky label on the cover, further investigation showed it be covering the swastika logo, so there seems to have been a bit of embarrassment for themselves.
I think their attempts to rehabilitate the swastika (back to the benign symbol it once was) have faltered along the way. Too much of an uphill struggle.

I think their attempts to rehabilitate the swastika (back to the benign symbol it once was) have faltered along the way. Too much of an uphill struggle.

Look what happened to Kula Shaker.

A few years ago I was a volunteer at the Zermatt music festival.

I got chatting to another volunteer, a Swiss woman who looked and dressed a bit like an actress who once made a living with her craft but now only lives on her anecdotes.

She was wearing a pendant that caught my eye and asked her about it. She explained she was a Raelian and what the symbols meant, continuing to say:

"We believe... no, we KNOW..." thinks for a bit then nods, "Yes, we KNOW. that humans are descended from extraterrestrials"

Sex slaves, cloned babies & naked alien worship… inside ‘UFO cult’ led by prophet Rael

To his devoted followers he is a messenger from the “true creators” of humankind, the alien race of Elohim, who was sent as a prophet after being abducted by a UFO in the mountains of France in 1973.

But to others Claude Vorilhon - who calls himself Raël - is a “dangerous” cult leader and “sex maniac” who uses his power to bed women and claims to be behind the world’s first cloned baby.

alien-prophet-netflix-877307105.jpg

In mass “sensual meditation” sessions the followers of Raelism, which was set up in 1974, are encouraged to strip naked and pleasure themselves and men persuade female partners to have sex with other group members, in order to become more ‘fulfilled’.

The French group has also been accused of encouraging child sexual abuse through its doctrines, after two Raelians raped an 11-year-old girl in Avignon, allegedly with her mother’s permission.

At its height, the religious sect claimed to have 60,000 members and there are still thriving factions in Canada, Africa and Japan, where the 78-year-old leader currently lives.

Now many who still follow Rael - who claims to have dined with Jesus, Moses and Mohammed during a second abduction - have defended his teachings in a new Netflix documentary, available from today.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/25775786/rael-alien-prophet-cult-netflix-ufo-sex-naked/

maximus otter

Sex slaves, cloned babies & naked alien worship… inside ‘UFO cult’ led by prophet Rael

To his devoted followers he is a messenger from the “true creators” of humankind, the alien race of Elohim, who was sent as a prophet after being abducted by a UFO in the mountains of France in 1973.

But to others Claude Vorilhon - who calls himself Raël - is a “dangerous” cult leader and “sex maniac” who uses his power to bed women and claims to be behind the world’s first cloned baby.

alien-prophet-netflix-877307105.jpg

In mass “sensual meditation” sessions the followers of Raelism, which was set up in 1974, are encouraged to strip naked and pleasure themselves and men persuade female partners to have sex with other group members, in order to become more ‘fulfilled’.

The French group has also been accused of encouraging child sexual abuse through its doctrines, after two Raelians raped an 11-year-old girl in Avignon, allegedly with her mother’s permission.

At its height, the religious sect claimed to have 60,000 members and there are still thriving factions in Canada, Africa and Japan, where the 78-year-old leader currently lives.

Now many who still follow Rael - who claims to have dined with Jesus, Moses and Mohammed during a second abduction - have defended his teachings in a new Netflix documentary, available from today.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/25775786/rael-alien-prophet-cult-netflix-ufo-sex-naked/

maximus otter

The Netflix doc is worth watching but they could probably have told the story in 3 episodes rather than 4. 7/10.

Back