• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
In the early to mid 90's I was invited by a new age traveler friend to visit and stay at Hatfield Court near Leominster in Hertfordshire. It was owned by a famous aging hippy called Jeremy Sandford who wrote Cathy Come Home and other anti-establishment material. He ran the place like a commune, each room painted different colours as healing rooms, open sex and drugs, sweat lodges ... that sort of stuff.

The deal was it was polite that staying there for free meant we all had to muck in with gardening, cooking, cleaning etc.

One day we were on kitchen detail. I caught Mick (my friend) grinning. He told me there was a mad group using the dining room called Iraelians (I distinctly remember him using the letter I before Raelians). We spied on them and they were sat in a circle with a single small radio in the middle tuned into static (or white noise if you prefer). Some of them were talking to this radio. Mick said he's seen them before and that they'd previously claimed they were being talked back to by Aliens.

They were all very nice people and a couple even tried talking me and Mick into travelling with the group to Brazil where they were planning on building a runway for UFO's .. already aware of Heavens Gate and The Jonestown Massacre, Charlie Manson's family etc, we both politely declined.

(sorry if there's already a Raelian thread, I couldn't find one so please move this post to the correct place if there is)

Heaven's Gate topped themselves in March 1997, so maybe a little later?

It does all blur together after a while.

Good story, it sounds like you did well to keep a straight face around them.

They've always struck me as total nutjobs :/

My youngest son was named Rael; I didn't find out about this lot until afterwards! Still like the name, though my son didn't; he's changed it now :(

OneWingedBird said:
Heaven's Gate topped themselves in March 1997, so maybe a little later?

It does all blur together after a while.

Good story, it sounds like you did well to keep a straight face around them.

To be completely honest, we were all "experimenting with substances" at the time so I've more than probably got the year wrong!.

They were very friendly though. I only remembered them after seeing them on the national news years later saying to the media that they had cloned the first human (that hasn't yet materialised) ..

When we arrived at Hatfield Court it was pretty much like the opening shots arriving at The Rocky Horry Picture Show mansion .. dark rainy night, vines crawling up the walls etc ... I remember a bloke that looked like a cross between John Lennon and Charlie Chuck, all in black leather and spider thin legs. Naked kids running around and dogs playing in every room. Jeremy Sandford in his rainbow waistcoat playing the accordian (which he did every year at Glastonbury festival's green fields before he died) with people dancing, topless pictures of his wife Phillipa in frames on the walls (she was an ex page 3 model) .. I'm all grown up now though ;)

AnacondaEq said:
Mythopoeika said:
Ronson8 said:

The topless ladies are enough for me to want to join... :D

I'de think twice.

Their 'manifesto' for 'sexual rights for children' links them to certain paedo rings such as the defunct PIE http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26352378

Some seriously sick people out there.

Oh dear, I didn't know about that...pretty dodgy!

Anyway...I'm a dyed-in-the-wool atheist, so joining a weird cult is the last thing I'd consider doing, naked ladies notwithstanding.

Mythopoeika said:
AnacondaEq said:
Mythopoeika said:
Ronson8 said:

The topless ladies are enough for me to want to join... :D

I'de think twice.

Their 'manifesto' for 'sexual rights for children' links them to certain paedo rings such as the defunct PIE http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26352378

Some seriously sick people out there.

Oh dear, I didn't know about that...pretty dodgy!

Anyway...I'm a dyed-in-the-wool atheist, so joining a weird cult is the last thing I'd consider doing, naked ladies notwithstanding.

Maybe this lot'd be more up your street?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6xeLuxXMRg

Why do people keep looking around at the world and coming to the conclusion that what would really make things better is another religion? Sweet Raptor Jesus!

PeteByrdie said:
Why do people keep looking around at the world and coming to the conclusion that what would really make things better is another religion? Sweet Raptor Jesus!

I have founded the First Church of Richard Dawkins The Cnciliator.

ramonmercado said:
Swifty said:
Can I join and do we get free Kool-Aid ?

http://www.koolaid.com/

No, multi-fruit juice. To be taken before the Teapot around Uranus ceremony.

Wikipedia's entry on Kool Aid has it that it was actually a product called Flavor Aid that was used for the Jonestown Massacre .. I wonder how Kool Aid's sales were damaged (on a side note) at that time because of this? ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kool_Aid

... and, AnacondaEq, your earlier post about Raelians having a "manifesto" of "sexual rights for children" .... and the naked kids running about when I was at the Hatfield Court commune and the Raelians being there at the same time .. :shock:

Back