• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Didn't take long:

Monks​

Location: SW1 (Greater London) - Jubilee Line, from Westminster to Stratford
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Early 2000s
Further Comments: Since the construction of the Jubilee Line, reports of phantom monks walking the tracks have begun to emerge. The sightings may be connected to the many graves which were disturbed while work was commencing.

https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/recent/index.php

This is a great one:

Footless Figure​

Location: Portsmouth (Hampshire) - Portsmouth & Southsea Train Station
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 31 January 2016, between 05:00h - 05:30h
Further Comments: Standing alone at the empty station, a commuter suddenly spotted a man wearing a 1940s suit standing at the opposite end of the platform. The slightly transparent figure did not have any facial features and, despite also lacking feet, started to walk towards the commuter, who fled in terror. The commuter refused to return to the site and subsequently used another station to travel.

https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/recent/index.php
Sounds a bit like that Ghost in the train Station (WW1) in Sapphire and Steel.

Have we had this one?

The Ghost of Haworth Station​

"On this occasion another railway volunteer was walking around the yard before departing to the sleeping coach for the night when he saw an unusual dim light through a window in the goods shed. Thinking it was rare to see anyone working at this late hour he went to investigate. As he entered the shed everything was quiet and still. There was a strange light coming from the corner….a soft light, almost as if it was from an oil lamp. Suddenly, the figure of a man emerged from the shadows and walked towards him, with a pole in his hand beckoning him to come closer. Our observer was frozen to the spot and then, as suddenly as it had appeared, the figure melted away in front of his astonished eyes."

http://bancroftsfromyorkshire.blogspot.com/2010/11/ghost-of-haworth-station.html

Have we had this one?

The Ghost of Haworth Station​

"On this occasion another railway volunteer was walking around the yard before departing to the sleeping coach for the night when he saw an unusual dim light through a window in the goods shed. Thinking it was rare to see anyone working at this late hour he went to investigate. As he entered the shed everything was quiet and still. There was a strange light coming from the corner….a soft light, almost as if it was from an oil lamp. Suddenly, the figure of a man emerged from the shadows and walked towards him, with a pole in his hand beckoning him to come closer. Our observer was frozen to the spot and then, as suddenly as it had appeared, the figure melted away in front of his astonished eyes."

http://bancroftsfromyorkshire.blogspot.com/2010/11/ghost-of-haworth-station.html
Time slip for both for the railway volunteer and man wit the pole.

Suddenly, the figure of a man emerged from the shadows and walked towards him, with a pole in his hand beckoning him to come closer.
A shunting pole/hook? They are substantial objects resembling mediaeval weapons, variously pikes or quarterstaffs.

Some trains still carry them. Railway staff discuss grabbing one for disarming an onboard terrorist with a knife or gun.

A shunting pole/hook? They are substantial objects resembling mediaeval weapons, variously pikes or quarterstaffs.

Some trains still carry them. Railway staff discuss grabbing one for disarming an onboard terrorist with a knife or gun.
Yes, would most likely have been a shunting pole:

1950s-historical-picture-railway-guard-coupling-or-shunting-connecting-F637HP.jpeg

Someone I used to know's just sent me this one:

'I work on the railway and was ready to leave my last train at the end of my shift, standing in the staff doorway in First Class.

There was a catering trolley beside me and my own work trolley on the floor in front. My bulky rucksack protruded into the limited space behind me.

When I'm in this position, sometimes the train Guard will be in the driver's cab on the approach to the station.

They'll dart out, slam the heavy cab door behind them, shove past my rucksack, call out 'Seeya later, Matey!', open the internal carriage door and rush off along the train to prepare for the stop/dispatch procedure.

I'll hear the cab door slam and turn round far enough to look briefly into the Guard's face and return the greeting, and the external carriage door will open and I'll jump off.

This time I stood beside the external door as normal, and heard the internal door slam and felt my rucksack move, and turned to say 'Laters!' but there was nobody behind me. The internal carriage door was closed.

I know the door sound and the rucksack movement very well. Didn't imagine any of it.'

I'd be asking for a pay rise.

Last edited:
Back