• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Raining Stones (Stone Falls; Stone Showers)

ariahacapah

Junior Acolyte
Hi, looking at the 'This Day' section on the site reminded me of this...

In the late 70's when I was a small kid it rained stones in Wigan where I lived. It wasn't a downpour but the stones dropped every 2 or 3 seconds, they were the stones you used to find in graveyards, the green arble like stones.

I've never found any reference to this anywhere!!

AriahAcapah said:
Hi, looking at the 'This Day' section on the site reminded me of this...

In the late 70's when I was a small kid it rained stones in Wigan where I lived. It wasn't a downpour but the stones dropped every 2 or 3 seconds, they were the stones you used to find in graveyards, the green arble like stones.

I've never found any reference to this anywhere!!

Can you give us more details please! did you happen to see it occur?

AriahAcapah said:

hmm every 2 or 3 seconds, could someone have been throwing them by the handfull?

There was a story of pennies being rained down upon a town/building years back and I wondered if it wasnt someone very high up in a hot air balloon, or maybe a slingshot from a distance?

I don't think it likely that the stones were thrown as they covered such a large area - I seem to remember them bouncing off rooftops too. I don't think the incident happened for very long, perhaps a few minutes, and afterwards these green little stones were littered all over the road - I'm not sure how localised it was as I don't remember going beyond my own street to investigate (I was very young and it just seemed like one of those things).

I was curious to see if anybody had ever heard of this incident

Two possibilities come to my mind.

1. Could one of the volcanoes have been erupting on Iceland?

2. Storms with an upward draft (tornado/hurricane) can pick up small stones and drop them hundreds of miles away.

Just some thoughts.

Small meteorites surviving through the atmosphere?

an explosion would throw debris up in the air, "raining" it down

RAIN OF STONES REPORTED

It was reliably reported by several persons that a rain of stones fell from a clear blue sky on Carlin Street in the town of Chamberlain on August 17th. The stones fell principally on the house of Mrs. Margaret White, damaging the roof extensively and ruining two gutters and a downspout valued at approximately $25. Mrs. White, a widow, lives there with her three-year-old daughter, Carrieta.

Mrs. White could not be reached for comment.

Poor Mrs. White! I'm sure the insurance company just said it was an "act of God" and she was out her $25. BTW, Ummagumma, what's the source on that? When was that story from? $25 isn't a lot of money...

Um...

Margaret White was Carrie's mother. You know, THAT Carrie, of Stephen King's book. hee hee.

This webpage provides an extensive listing of reported incidents of mysterious stone falls and stone showers. It also includes incidents in which the stones were apparently flung rather than simply falling from the sky. Some incidents are contextualized with respect to ghosts or poltergeist activity.
It's Raining Stones!

Original newspaper and magazine reports, and other sources of anomalous showers, rains or falls of stones out of nowhere, and similar showers of other objects. ...
http://www.soul-guidance.com/houseofthesun/showersstones.html

This webpage is a subsidiary part of a broader survey of such phenomena:

Anomalous Showers of Stones, Water and Other Objects
http://www.soul-guidance.com/houseofthesun/showers.html

A possibly earlier (2014) version of this broader survey report can be downloaded as a PDF file:

http://www.soul-guidance.com/houseofthesun/pdf/Anomalous Showers 14.pdf

Back