Random Australia

skinny

Antediluvian
I had thought to suffix the title with a ~ness, but it might seem to narrow the scope...

So hear the locals express themselves for your entertitilation. Please ennnnAjoy....

THE ....

Australian!!!

skinny

Antediluvian
Sorry. That was a yuppie hipster indulgence. You meant to pay attention to this in stead.
And that...

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
A man and his goat (Garry) .. in Austrlialandsville .. NSFW .. a bit of swearing

Swifty

Is this in any way accurate skinny ? .. obviously it's a spoof and stuff ..

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I'm fond of Aussies, have a great respect for the Australian armed forces and am no fan of political correctness, but what the **** was going on here, cobbers?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-...ag-flown-over-australian-army-vehicle/9859618

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 21.19.41.png

I don't even mind the 'dressing up like Nazis for a joke' angle (mock them, remove their power), but these guys are in the field on active duty--how the hell did this pass muster?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
...what the **** was going on here, cobbers?
Yeah: Months of boredom interspersed with hours of abject terror. Living in filth in 110 degree heat while carrying 50 lbs. of kit. Crap food, bath-temperature water. Call in air strikes, machine gun people or hit them with a few thirty-sevens from the Grenade Machine Gun, but for ****’s sake don’t offend any of our shrinking violet maiden aunts back in Oz.

l also note that the officer in charge of the Australian Army has banned the wearing or display of emblems such as the Punisher skull, pirate flags and the Spartan Lambda symbol.

That move will strike something into the hearts of civilization’s enemies, though l don’t think it’ll be fear.

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Yeah: Months of boredom interspersed with hours of abject terror. Living in filth in 110 degree heat while carrying 50 lbs. of kit. Crap food, bath-temperature water. Call in air strikes, machine gun people or hit them with a few thirty-sevens from the Grenade Machine Gun, but for ****’s sake don’t offend any of our shrinking violet maiden aunts back in Oz.

l also note that the officer in charge of the Australian Army has banned the wearing or display of emblems such as the Punisher skull, pirate flags and the Spartan Lambda symbol.

That move will strike something into the hearts of civilization’s enemies, though l don’t think it’ll be fear.

maximus otter
Dude, Nazis.

Proper Nazis: the S.S., gas chambers, occupying mainland Europe.

The Australians fought against the Nazis--they're the bad guys.

I'm not offended, I think they're wankers because the Nazis were scum and the Australians were and are not.

This isn't 'Allo 'Allo, they're fighting on a battlefield for their nation.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Dude, Nazis.

Proper Nazis: the S.S., gas chambers, occupying mainland Europe.

The Australians fought against the Nazis--they're the bad guys.

I'm not offended, I think they're wankers because the Nazis were scum and the Australians were and are not.

This isn't 'Allo 'Allo, they're fighting on a battlefield for their nation.

Yeah my lot who fought the Nazis and Japanese, are all dead now but they wouldn't have been impressed. German insignia is one thing, Nazi insignia is something else. They knew the difference between soldiers who fought for Germany and the fanatics who signed up for the Nazi party.

They were professionals even if they didn't start out like that.

There's "gallows humor" that a lot of stressful professions have, but if you are a professional it's kept under wraps.

this is interesting:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-11/afghan-assignment-embedded-with-the-troops/4063890

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting

maximus otter
How's the script going?

skinny

Antediluvian
Most of the folks who haven't posted on this thread will not get this.

skinny

Antediluvian
These men have direct and extended family in this band. Feels like my own family and my own band. I am on bass.

Swifty

He doesn't actually vomit on the dead fish, he misses unfortunately ..

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Skinny's Dog Act vid led me to this:
An amazing & moving story, from hideous childhood, institutional abuse, alcoholism, addiction, anger & violence, homelessness, living in a rainforest, to turning his life round, cleaning up, getting back into education & gaining a PhD, becoming a university lecturer. His sister who went through some of the same things, also features.

He's very insightful as to what he's been through. Brought a tear to my eye in places.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Swifty

let this be real omg please PLEASE!!!! let this be real!!!!!!!
It seems to be legit :) .. looks like they've also rolled him over into the emergency position, I'd use that pic as my phone's screensaver if I was him.

Last edited:

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
I'm intrigued to see a word in this recent press-clipping (from the RIP thread) that is pure Lallans Scots language (and NOT contemporary English) appears to be used in standard 'Strine Inglish....I refer to stouch/stoush/stoushie.

Is this universally-accepted in formal written contexts across Australia?

2019-02-14 15.08.39.png

Kingsize Wombat

Abominable Snowman
I'm intrigued to see a word in this recent press-clipping (from the RIP thread) that is pure Lallans Scots language (and NOT contemporary English) appears to be used in standard 'Strine Inglish....I refer to stouch/stoush/stoushie.

Is this universally-accepted in formal written contexts across Australia?
Most definitely "Yes". It is often used in a political context. These are the results from a Google search of the news:

Capture.PNG

It hadn't even occurred to me that it was anything but common English.