• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Random Australia

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
arvo and wotcha have taken root in this house.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Although a Brit, I have adopted the Aussie phrase 'no worries' myself.
I first heard it from an Aussie I worked with. He was the most laid-back guy I ever worked with. He wore sunglasses all year round, too.
'No worries' is a broad spectrum term that can be applied to most situations. ''Can I borrow your car mate?'' ''Sure, no worries.''
''Fuck, I've just been fired, but no worries, I'll get another job next week.'' It's highly adaptable and most useful.
Our youngest son had the bad habit of leaving his sunglasses on his head, indoors and at night. That is until my wife says to him one evening ''Why do you have your sunglasses on your head at night?'' and my answer to that was ''Because it's always sunny in Doucheville.'' He no longer wears his sunglasses at night.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
'No worries' is a broad spectrum term that can be applied to most situations. ''Can I borrow your car mate?'' ''Sure, no worries.''
''Fuck, I've just been fired, but no worries, I'll get another job next week.'' It's highly adaptable and most useful.
Our youngest son had the bad habit of leaving his sunglasses on his head, indoors and at night. That is until my wife says to him one evening ''Why do you have your sunglasses on your head at night?'' and my answer to that was ''Because it's always sunny in Doucheville.'' He no longer wears his sunglasses at night.
The Aussie I knew had a good reason for wearing dark glasses all day, every day. He'd done a bit of welding when younger, without wearing the appropriate goggles. Damaged his retinas permanently.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The Aussie I knew had a good reason for wearing dark glasses all day, every day. He'd done a bit of welding when younger, without wearing the appropriate goggles. Damaged his retinas permanently.
Yikes, that's got to be as bad as staring at the sun.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
While I am aware "arvo" as being used in Australia, I had always thought "watcha" as being a particularly British term....
oh! I included it because I was told off for being "too australian" by a dick at work!

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Does the name "goondrinker" require an explanation here?
Only for the uninitiated, that is those who've never played 'Goon of Fortune'. Perhaps this instructional video shall do the traditional game more justice than I ever could (and remember, Fruity Lexia makes ya sexier)!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Many years ago one of my colleagues copped off with an Aussie bird. They repaired to his boudoir and started the Whoopee! Machine.

My pal thought he was upholding the reputation of the ***** Police as he engaged her spiritedly from the rear. Right up to the point where she looked back at him over her shoulder, and uttered the words that left him pushing string:

Have ya slimed yit?

maximus otter

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Many years ago one of my colleagues copped off with an Aussie bird. They repaired to his boudoir and started the Whoopee! Machine.

My pal thought he was upholding the reputation of the ***** Police as he engaged her spiritedly from the rear. Right up to the point where she looked back at him over her shoulder, and uttered the words that left him pushing string:

Have ya slimed yit?

maximus otter
"pushing sting" lol .. quality

skinny

TIT
Reaction score
Postponing the laughs momentarily to highlight an important new film for our social upbringing in this racist nation Australia.
Go on, Goodesy!

skinny

TIT
Reaction score
34 years ago...

today.

Not much has chchchchchanged.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I vaguely remember this series

Way back when Doctor Who's TARDIS was only just taking off, an Australian TV series was exploring the science fiction genre.

The Stranger was Australia's first locally-produced science fiction television show and one of the first Australian series to be sold overseas. It was immediately popular after it first aired on the ABC on April 5, 1964, but has since faded into obscurity.

While Doctor Who developed a cult following over the following decades, The Stranger sat untouched in the ABC's film archives. But thanks to a team of dedicated film archivists, the series will have a new life after being remastered for ABC iview. The first episode was launched for streaming on Wednesday afternoon and can be streamed on ABC iview now.

RetroFocus co-founder Jon Steiner said bringing the show back to TV screens had been a dream of his and his team's for about two years. He and fellow RetroFocus co-founder Helen Meany thought it was an interesting show, and wanted to see if it would still resonate with modern viewers. They each used their own children as test audiences. Although the footage was grainy black and white, and the pace a little different than what they were used to, they gave the series an enthusiastic thumbs-up. ...

The series is about a mysterious man who is discovered unconscious on the steps of the Walsh family home one rainy night. This man, played by Ron Haddrick, says he cannot remember his name or how he came to be there, but is able to speak German and French. He gives himself the name Adam, is hired as a teacher at the school Mr Walsh is headmaster of and befriends the Walsh children Bernie and Jean and their schoolfriend Peter. The trio soon discovers Adam is an alien and intergalactic hijinks ensue. ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-02/abc-iview-to-stream-the-stranger-australian-dr-who/11870424