Random Australia

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Australia has, for the first time, changed the status of an animal from, extinct in the wild, to endangered, after a 30 year conservation effort.

"A small furry marsupial that roamed the grassy plains of Australia's Victoria state has been brought back from the brink of extinction, officials say.

Numbers of the Eastern Barred Bandicoot plummeted because of non-native foxes, habitat destruction and feral cats.

Now, after 30 years of conservation efforts, the number has jumped from just 150 animals to an estimated 1,500.

It is the first time Australia has changed the status of an animal from "extinct in the wild" to "endangered"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-58564835

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The UK is giving Australia nuclear submarines with help from the U.S.

Wow, what a present.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Wow, what a present.
What could possibly go wrong?!
d5ktqov-790f8ead-60b1-4535-bd85-4719b2444ffe.jpg

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Wow, what a present.

I don't think it's to be a free-gift.

We'll likely be providing the (considerable) training and expertise to operate and maintain them, but there'll likely be a price-tag for any physical elements required to construct the units themselves.

Still, this is the time to step up with regards to China, and the Aussies as a nation very seldom shirk their responsibilities. It would be better if they'd asked for the nukes to go with them, frankly.

I'm less convinced about the current facing of New Zealand and Canada, mind you.

Which is a shame.

Edit:

“The world is a jungle,” the former French ambassador to Washington, Gérard Araud, observed on Twitter. “France has just been reminded this bitter truth by the way the US and the UK have stabbed her in the back in Australia. C’est la vie.”

*He said with a dramatic shrug*.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
New Ozzy Man review: Lucky People ... NSFW swearing

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score

We'll likely be providing the (considerable) training and expertise to operate and maintain them, but there'll likely be a price-tag for any physical elements required to construct the units themselves.

Still, this is the time to step up with regards to China, and the Aussies as a nation very seldom shirk their responsibilities. It would be better if they'd asked for the nukes to go with them, frankly.

I'm less convinced about the current facing of New Zealand and Canada, mind you.

Which is a shame.

Edit:

“The world is a jungle,” the former French ambassador to Washington, Gérard Araud, observed on Twitter. “France has just been reminded this bitter truth by the way the US and the UK have stabbed her in the back in Australia. C’est la vie.”

On a radio phone-in today, a man who was an ex nuclear sub man phoned in. He said to qualify for his role, which I think was working on power level control or somesuch, was 6 years training. It’s not going to be quick fix operation.

Why France weren’t included I can only assume is because of the B word. New Zealand should’ve possibly been included in some way as it’s in their geographical zone.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Why France weren’t included I can only assume is because of the B word.
The Australians have had an issue with the French since the nuclear tests, as for the UK, there are lists of reasons we dont get on with the French, Napolean, US independence, exocet missiles etc...

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Which is a shame.

Edit:

There was nothing at all to stop the French from stepping up to the plate.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The Australians have had an issue with the French since the nuclear tests, as for the UK, there are lists of reasons we dont get on with the French, Napolean, US
There was nothing at all to stop the French from stepping up to the plate.

independence, exocet missiles etc...

Actually France already had a deal with Australia! They're annoyed!

But France has also reacted angrily to the new pact, because it means Australia will now abandon a $50bn (€31bn; £27bn) deal with it to build 12 submarines.

"It's really a stab in the back," France's Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told France Info radio. "We had established a relationship of trust with Australia, this trust has been betrayed."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-58582573

Last edited:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The Australians have had an issue with the French since the nuclear tests, as for the UK, there are lists of reasons we dont get on with the French, Napolean, US independence, exocet missiles etc...
Napoleon & US Independence were 200 + years ago! I think things have moved on a bit since then.. I’m not sure what the great Exocet issue was about.

Re nuclear tests, the UK conducted nuclear weapons tests in Australia from 1952 to 1963.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The main issue behind the cancellation of the French contract is being overlooked.

Australia has been dragging its feet in pursuing the so-called Attack-class submarine project intended to replace its Collins-class conventional (diesel-electric) fleet of attack submarines. The project began in 2007, and the French conventionally-powered design was finally chosen in 2016. These subs weren't expected to enter service until sometime in the 2030s.

In the mean time, Australia's assessment of its requirements has shifted, in large part because of the changes in the east Asian strategic context. Australia's operational submarine requirements are complicated by the relatively higher ranges and multiple sea conditions entailed in their naval missions. Australia has decided their requirements would be better served by upgrading capabilities from conventional diesel-electric subs to nuclear subs. In addition, their newest combat capabilities requirements call for weapons systems they wish to source from the USA.

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack-class_submarine
... for an overview of the situation leading up to this change in direction.

This isn't simply pulling a switcheroo on the purchase of the same kind of sub. It's changing the acquisition requirements to purchase a different (nuclear) type of sub with expanded weapons systems.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Napoleon & US Independence were 200 + years ago! I think things have moved on a bit since then.. I’m not sure what the great Exocet issue was about.

Re nuclear tests, the UK conducted nuclear weapons tests in Australia from 1952 to 1963.
All I know is that the Australians I know really dislike the French over their nuclear testing, not sure why they dont hold the same attitude toward the British for their testing

skinny

aka Wuluwait, Boatman of the Dead
Reaction score
All I know is that the Australians I know really dislike the French over their nuclear testing, not sure why they dont hold the same attitude toward the British for their testing
I do. The buggers nuked the homelands of several indigenous clans in northern SA and blew their dreamings to hell and caused myriad health problems. I studied the legacy at uni and apparently there are still pounds of plutonium dusting up out there in the dead zone which the Brits refuse to clean up. And our own government welcomed the testing program. I don’t dislike the Brits, but this issue soured my attitude to their historical impact throughout Australian history. Vulgar brutality and ignorance. Which is still endemic in Oz culture today. So much for the lucky country.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It is lonely at the top.

For the annual United Nations member nations meeting in New York next week, Boris Johnson and Biden will face an upset France who will loose 65 billion dollars in old style diesel submarine sales as Australia goes with American and British nuclear submarines.

Then there is the EU who feel that France was done wrong and feel there is no support from Boris and Biden.

But Australia is happy !

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Which is a shame.

Edit:

All part of a new defence pact announce yesterday between the U.S, the U.K & Australia.

From Twitter:
On Wednesday, US President Joe Biden announced a new defence pact between the US, UK and Australia, known as AUKUS, to share advanced technologies, according to The Sydney Morning Herald. Politico reports that the agreement will help the three countries share expertise in artificial intelligence, cyber underwater systems and long-range capabilities as well as result in Australia obtaining an American-made “conventionally armed” nuclear powered submarine.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The world is going what ?

France removed their ambassadors from the U.S. and Australia.

This reminds me of the old fashioned pistol duel for honor, or the glove face slap before a sword duel.

Do I see children in the sandbox having a fight !

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Youngest said that as she was driving home along the freeway last night there was a part that had barriers at he side as there was some sort of work being done.
The road was busy in all the lanes and a truck in front which slowed but she couldn't see anything.
When she got a bit further there was a dead kangaroo on the road and she hadn't any choice but to go over the top due to the traffic.
She said that she felt so bad having to do that but I said that at least she hadn't killed it .

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
All part of a new defence pact announce yesterday between the U.S, the U.K & Australia.

From Twitter:
On Wednesday, US President Joe Biden announced a new defence pact between the US, UK and Australia, known as AUKUS, to share advanced technologies, according to The Sydney Morning Herald. Politico reports that the agreement will help the three countries share expertise in artificial intelligence, cyber underwater systems and long-range capabilities as well as result in Australia obtaining an American-made “conventionally armed” nuclear powered submarine.

“Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion.”

General Norman Schwartzkopf.

maximus otter

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
France helped both sides during the war:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17256975

Why Britain can't trust France, perhaps? What happened to the Entente Cordiale?

"...allowed the Falklands-bound British fleet to use French port facilities in West Africa, as well as providing London with detailed information about planes and weaponry his country had sold to Buenos Aires."

- Scarcely makes up for:

"...the [Dassault] team's leader, Herve Colin, admitted carrying out one particular test that proved invaluable to Argentinian forces.

"The verification process involves determining if the missile launcher was functioning correctly or not. Three of the launchers failed. We located the source of the problem and that was it. The rest was simple."

...it is now clear that, thanks to tests [the French Dassault team] carried out, the Argentinians were able to fire Exocets at British forces from three previously faulty missile launchers."

- killing 32 British servicemen.

I can't do better than quote verbatim this from Sir John Nott:

"Britain's Defence Secretary at the time [of the Falklands War], Sir John Nott, [said]," If you're asking me: 'Are the French duplicitous people?' the answer is: 'Of course they are, and they always have been.'"

maximus otter