Random Australia

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I know I chipped in on the Exocet stuff but on sober reflection France is also an enemy of China.
But it's possible they could at some point sign a duplicitous pact if it suited them.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I
I know I chipped in on the Exocet stuff but on sober reflection France is also an enemy of China. I guess a way should be found to smooth over these issues and get the French involved in this alliance, they have a presence in the Pacific.
m not sure there is any 'pact' as such, as far as I am aware it's just a trade deal with a few extras thrown in, such as training and support.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Why France weren’t included I can only assume is because of the B word.

Just been reading the comments in Le Figaro.
There's obviously some indignation and posturing, as France's nose is well and truly out of joint, but also comments stating that every French industrial export project seems to be hugely delayed and well over budget, so it's hardly surprising when customer patience wears thin.
It's not really surprising that Australia baulked at pouring funds into a bottomless money-pit for old technology, when cooperation with the US and UK will provide a more cutting-edge product, better priced and within realistic timescales.
Australia had warned France that they may pull the plug on the deal years ago. I think that France needs to accept that the product they offered simply wasn't good enough.
Looks like the US is planning to throw France a few crumbs though to try to dampen down those Gallic tantrums.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
And we wouldn't? Perfidious Albion is a well-known phrase.
A phrase only used by Britain's enemies when they were particularly angry. Possibly true 3 centuries ago, but not so much these days.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
France already had a deal with Australia! They're annoyed!
Using VPN, we just watched the French news on TF1.
It featured a fairly long and detailed article about the submarine deal and it looks like France is finally accepting that they screwed up.
Australia has already paid hundreds of millions of Euros to France for a failing project with a slipping end date and the price constantly rising.
The French diesel-electric submarines would only have had an autonomy of 11 days, whereas the UK/US nuclear submarines will have an autonomy of 77 days and are far faster and more manoeuvrable.
It was clearly a no-brainer to cancel the failing project with France.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Had a quite strong earthquake just before. I was sitting here and everytjing was shaken quite violently and a large dictionary fell and just missed me.
I've been answering calls from family and friends. and at first the home phone wouldn't work but by the time I finished all the calls it was working again.
I had only said the other day that it was the same kind of weather years ago when we had the last tremor, but this was stronger.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Had a quite strong earthquake just before. I was sitting here and everytjing was shaken quite violently and a large dictionary fell and just missed me.
I've been answering calls from family and friends. and at first the home phone wouldn't work but by the time I finished all the calls it was working again.
I had only said the other day that it was the same kind of weather years ago when we had the last tremor, but this was stronger.

I heard about the earthquake on the news, it said nobody was injured, thankfully.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My daughter works with complaints for a local council
After the earthquake a woman rang and said she was scared. My daughter said everyone was.
The woman then asked what she was going to do about it?
She was asked what she wanted my daughter to do. She said she wanted her to take down her name and address and keep her updated.
One of the other girls had a man complain about the earthquake and say she wasn't doing her job properly.
They must think people who work for the council are some kind of gods.
I wonder if it was the same woman who rang to complain about spiders on her washing line and wanted the council to get rid of them.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
My daughter works with complaints for a local council
After the earthquake a woman rang and said she was scared. My daughter said everyone was.
The woman then asked what she was going to do about it?
She was asked what she wanted my daughter to do. She said she wanted her to take down her name and address and keep her updated.
One of the other girls had a man complain about the earthquake and say she wasn't doing her job properly.
They must think people who work for the council are some kind of gods.
I wonder if it was the same woman who rang to complain about spiders on her washing line and wanted the council to get rid of them.
ComfortableRemoteElephant-max-1mb.gif

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Ancient Koala eating eagle discovered.

"Scientists in Australia say they uncovered a fossil of a previously unknown species of eagle that lived in the country about 25 million years ago.

Dozens of bone fragments were uncovered by a dry lake in 2016 by researchers from Flinders University in Adelaide.

A new study says the skeletal remains were of the Archaehierax sylvestris, or ancient hawk of the forest.

Scientists believe the ancient raptor species survived by swooping on prey, including birds, possums and koalas.

They say the eagle had adapted to hunting and flying within forests, with short robust wings, long legs and a wide foot-span.

The discovery was made at an archaeological site in Lake Pinpa, a dried salt lake in the desert in south Australia."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-58720975

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I now feel quite ignorant.

I had no idea whatsoever so many kangaroos lived in Australia. I knew they weren't an endangered species, but I didn't realise they outnumbered humans.

You chaps down-under would be screwed if it came to a war.

FBBDIRDXoAE9uL7.jpeg.jpg

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

I had no idea whatsoever so many kangaroos lived in Australia. I knew they weren't an endangered species, but I didn't realise they outnumbered humans.

View attachment 46211

You do realise that when it comes to war, it will be Kangaroos and Australians against everyone else? First point of call - Cromer...

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score

View attachment 46211
Australians didn't do so well in the Great Emu War. I doubt they have the heart to go to war on the 'roos as well.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

View attachment 46211
They're ready and waiting for the day. We've lost to the emus once before and now the roos are just waiting for their chance to complete the quinella.
The humiliation will be complete when we're bettered by our own coat of arms.

skinny

aka Wuluwait, Boatman of the Dead
Reaction score

View attachment 46211
I see them every time I roll outside the metro area. Love just settling in a camping chair with a few coldies to watch them graze. Jeez, I am getting old. Anyway, its much more relaxing than watching locals graze. ugh.

skinny

aka Wuluwait, Boatman of the Dead
Reaction score
Anyone into old school cool oz and international rock of 70s/80s era will enjoy Donnie Sutherland's Sounds. Famous for on-screen weed smoking and boozing with the guests, this YT channel features the likes of very early Michael Hutchence, Robert Smith, and Paddy McAlon. Almost everyone is high, including the monkey.
https://www.youtube.com/user/welovedonnie/videos

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Anyone into old school cool oz and international rock of 70s/80s era will enjoy Donnie Sutherland's Sounds. Famous for on-screen weed smoking and boozing with the guests, this YT channel features the likes of very early Michael Hutchence, Robert Smith, and Paddy McAlon. Almost everyone is high, including the monkey.
https://www.youtube.com/user/welovedonnie/videos

Now there's someone I wasn't sure was still us, but he is. He was such a fixture of weekend t.v along with Molly on Countdown & Daryl & Ozzie.