• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Random & Bizarre Thoughts: Something You Thought But Shouldn't Have (Adult Theme)

Stpauli9

Junior Acolyte
I have regularly thought over the following strange 'brain fart' or bizarre thought that occurred to me about late last year or so (2020), itself a very strange year.
I had read a BBC article that talked in all serious of a super-strong STD that had been detected in Leeds. Said STD had been resilient to the normal cures and doctors were advising caution.
My immediate thought was the following: 'That's the sort of thing that would happen in Leeds'.
Given I am Australian, have never been near Leeds (I've been to Manchester, though), what could possibly have triggered such a thought? Too much reading about different British cities? Is Leeds a cosmic punchline? (I am reminded that Warhammer 40,000's expanded universe has a lost planet called Birmingham). Or do random amusing things just dwell in the depths of the mind and fall into the mouth at the wrong moment?
No offence to any readers from Leeds.

I was watching a programme last night about the environment, and how man has effected it, what people are trying to do to rectify it etc...a thought came to me, that the environment seems to have got a lot worse since man stopped commercially hunting whales, and the whale populations of the world have increased massively, no I know this is (probably) a coincidence, but what if the key to saving the planet is saving the plankton, what if plankton is the most important thing on earth and because the whales are eating it all, the planet is suffering, just one of the thoughts that bounce around my brain.

I have regularly thought over the following strange 'brain fart' or bizarre thought that occurred to me about late last year or so (2020), itself a very strange year.
I had read a BBC article that talked in all serious of a super-strong STD that had been detected in Leeds. Said STD had been resilient to the normal cures and doctors were advising caution.
My immediate thought was the following: 'That's the sort of thing that would happen in Leeds'.
Given I am Australian, have never been near Leeds (I've been to Manchester, though), what could possibly have triggered such a thought? Too much reading about different British cities? Is Leeds a cosmic punchline? (I am reminded that Warhammer 40,000's expanded universe has a lost planet called Birmingham). Or do random amusing things just dwell in the depths of the mind and fall into the mouth at the wrong moment?

You may have heard the term 'Dirty Leeds" which was attributed to the Leeds United football team in the 1960's and carried on through the 1970's.

https://www.planetfootball.com/in-d...-the-self-fulfilling-prophecy-of-dirty-leeds/

As cities go, it's not too bad. It has its rough spots, but I've felt more unsafe in other places.

I was watching a programme last night about the environment, and how man has effected it, what people are trying to do to rectify it etc...a thought came to me, that the environment seems to have got a lot worse since man stopped commercially hunting whales, and the whale populations of the world have increased massively, no I know this is (probably) a coincidence, but what if the key to saving the planet is saving the plankton, what if plankton is the most important thing on earth and because the whales are eating it all, the planet is suffering, just one of the thoughts that bounce around my brain.
Correlation does not necessarily equal causation! :)

Have numbers increased "massively" only three countries fish commercially: Iceland, Japan and The Faroe Islands, I think. Many whales are killed by pollution, including noise pollution and some die in trawler nets. Even without these issues, I doubt whether whale numbers would be anything approaching their number before commercial whaling.

Micro plastic is a bigger threat to plankton than whales, who filter out krill and other creatures, rather than consuming all plankton.

That said:

nuke whales.jpg

Have numbers increased "massively" only three countries fish commercially: Iceland, Japan and The Faroe Islands, I think. Many whales are killed by pollution, including noise pollution and some die in trawler nets. Even without these issues, I doubt whether whale numbers would be anything approaching their number before commercial whaling.

Micro plastic is a bigger threat to plankton than whales, who filter out krill and other creatures, rather than consuming all plankton.

That said:

View attachment 46622
"Many humpback whale populations, previously devastated by commercial whaling, are making a comeback. ... The ban of commercial whaling in 1986 led to a strong recovery and now this population is thought to be around 93% of its original size.16 May 2020"

https://time.com/5837350/humpback-whales-recovery-hope-planet/

That said:

View attachment 46622
My best friend has a shirt that reads, "Nuke a godless, communist, gay baby seal for Christ". I really need one.

You may have heard the term 'Dirty Leeds" which was attributed to the Leeds United football team in the 1960's and carried on through the 1970's.

https://www.planetfootball.com/in-d...-the-self-fulfilling-prophecy-of-dirty-leeds/

As cities go, it's not too bad. It has its rough spots, but I've felt more unsafe in other places.
They were still 'dirty Leeds' about 20 years ago, I can remember watching Alan Smith getting sent off twice at St Mary's (Southampton FC) in the same season! Once for Leeds United and again for England...before the new Wembley was finished England played their matches at club stadiums.
The sight of anybody wearing any Leeds United paraphernalia makes me wince slightly. Everton fans cause the same reaction. Personal history with both teams (and their fans) over the years has made me dislike them more than our bitter rivals, Portsmouth. I used to live in the same town as Portsmouth's super fan so have witnessed Pompey's hatred towards Saints firsthand, they really, really hate us.

They were still 'dirty Leeds' about 20 years ago, I can remember watching Alan Smith getting sent off twice at St Mary's (Southampton FC) in the same season! Once for Leeds United and again for England...before the new Wembley was finished England played their matches at club stadiums.
The sight of anybody wearing any Leeds United paraphernalia makes me wince slightly. Everton fans cause the same reaction. Personal history with both teams (and their fans) over the years has made me dislike them more than our bitter rivals, Portsmouth. I used to live in the same town as Portsmouth's super fan so have witnessed Pompey's hatred towards Saints firsthand, they really, really hate us.
David Batty was one of the dirtiest Leeds Utd players ever, here is a podcast d called 'Dirty Leeds, part1, David Batty'

batty31.jpg

David Batty was one of the dirtiest Leeds Utd players ever, here is a podcast d called 'Dirty Leeds, part1, David Batty'

View attachment 46801

I think his spiritual replacement in the team must've been Lee Bowyer. I seem to remember Smith and Bowyer from the matches I witnessed around the end of the 90s/early noughties (or in Leeds case, early naughties )

One of my best friends is a Leeds girl. I doubt she'd disagree with your reaction to that news story. For what it's worth, I did spend one night out in Leeds, and I liked it well enough.

On a more depressingly note, on the subject of random thoughts I suppress; with a neurological disorder that's going to reduce my lifespan and probably going to make my future intolerable, when I hear of humans continually making the world worse, more unstable, and ignoring looming problems, or dismissing them with trite and small minded arguments even while others are trying to lead the way with solutions, I often think humanity has earned its demise, that there's not enough good to be worth saving. Perhaps it wouldn't be a loss. Until I remember there are children who want a future and know nothing of the failure of intellect that has led us to where we are.

I suffer from OCD, I used to suffer from it really badly, it ruled my life. These days it's largely under control, some people think it's just having your book case filed alphabetically or your cutlery just so, but it was a huge factor in the break up of my first marriage. My first wife, not a bad or even callous woman just couldn't understand the nature of the intrusive thoughts I had, she thought they were "daft" and "stupid".

Some examples, when I dropped the kids off at school I HAD to count the school railings as I walked away from the school, only away never on arrival. There were 64 of them I knew this, but increasingly I'd have to go back and check just in case i got it wrong. if I didn't my wife and child would die. this wasn't just a feeling it was absolute knowledge.

When we went on holiday, in the hotel going downstairs I HAD to keep my hand on the handrail going up or down stairs all the way either up or down, if i didn't the plane would crash on our return trip.

Over the years this got to the point where I was literally not functioning at all. a sympathetic doctor and psychiatric help improved the situation no end. I now hold down a good job and am happily married to a lovely woman who knows and accepts me warts and all.

I often think humanity has earned its demise, that there's not enough good to be worth saving. Perhaps it wouldn't be a loss. Until I remember there are children who want a future and know nothing of the failure of intellect that has led us to where we are.
You've summed up my feelings exactly!

I suffer from OCD, I used to suffer from it really badly, it ruled my life. These days it's largely under control, some people think it's just having your book case filed alphabetically or your cutlery just so, but it was a huge factor in the break up of my first marriage. My first wife, not a bad or even callous woman just couldn't understand the nature of the intrusive thoughts I had, she thought they were "daft" and "stupid".

Some examples, when I dropped the kids off at school I HAD to count the school railings as I walked away from the school, only away never on arrival. There were 64 of them I knew this, but increasingly I'd have to go back and check just in case i got it wrong. if I didn't my wife and child would die. this wasn't just a feeling it was absolute knowledge.

When we went on holiday, in the hotel going downstairs I HAD to keep my hand on the handrail going up or down stairs all the way either up or down, if i didn't the plane would crash on our return trip.

Over the years this got to the point where I was literally not functioning at all. a sympathetic doctor and psychiatric help improved the situation no end. I now hold down a good job and am happily married to a lovely woman who knows and accepts me warts and all.
Well done, that must have been a lot to overcome.

@Mouldy13
I'm glad things worked out for you in the end and thankyou for explaining about what a debilitating condition OCD can be and that it's not just a need to have everything in order. It's of a different magnitude altogether.

I had a very untidy mother who blamed everyone but herself on the state of her house. I hated being in a situation I could do nothing about (in spite of efforts to help) so to cope I just made sure there was an order to my own stuff.

It now drives me to distraction if anyone moves my CD's, books, sewing/craft stuff or doesn't pile the washing up on the draining board in the 'right' place. As for hanging out the washing without colour matching the pegs ... well heinious crime! But I don't expect anything really bad to happen other than my own distress so I don't impose it on other people. If someone offers to do the washing up, hang out the washing or browses my books I just have to 'suck it up'. Besides as the rest of my house isn't particulary tidy (too much stuff) I don't feel I've a leg to stand on.

However I have a friend who excuses her need for 'order' on OCD when it's clearly nothing of the sort. It's just a need to be in 'control' but taken to a whole house level and more and even then it would be ok if she kept it to herself but she wears it like a permit to impose on other people. Bloody hell you daren't nip off to the loo when she comes to visit or you'll come out to find she's wiping down the work surfaces, watering your house plants or nipped out to the garden to dead head the roses or something.

I've recently discovered from a mutual friend that she's been as exasperated with her over the years as I have but also just like me let her get away with it as 'she has OCD and is only trying to be helpful, she's really got a heart of gold' blah blah blah. Meantime we'd both found out what OCD really is and that there is a tendancy to use the label inappropriately as Mouldy 13's post illustrates.

Back