Random/Peculiar Images

rynner2

Great Old One
I've got a lot of photos. We could try randomly dipping into them - give me a number between say 5 and 5000, and I'll see if that no. is in the filename of one of my pics. If it is, I'll post it here. Unless this gets much more interesting than I expect, I'll just look at what's on my hard drive now, and not the stuff backed up elsewhere.

Who's first? :cool:

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
I Still haven't sorted through all the recovered pics from a backup crash 18 months back. The number thing might be a bit risky given some of the stuff on my drive! Let me see when I get a moment though.

rynner2

Great Old One
132 please Rynner ..
Perhaps I should have tested this idea first - I turned up over 80 pics before I gave up, many of which didn't have 132 in the filename, or anything like it!

I've now changed the search parameters and am trying again...

That's better! 9 results; The nearest is 0132.jpg, but it's a rather boring pic of a hole in the ground!

IMG_0132.jpg

Attachments

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
but it's a rather boring pic of a hole in the ground!

speaking as an archaeologist that's some great stratigraphy happening there! it could do with some tidying up but it does make me want to process it :)

*goes all nostalgic*

edit to add: and 42 please!

rynner2

Great Old One
speaking as an archaeologist that's some great stratigraphy happening there! it could do with some tidying up but it does make me want to process it :)

*goes all nostalgic*

edit to add: and 42 please!
The hole appeared in Swanpool car park a few years ago, but I never did find out why. I knew there had once been a mine there, and I wondered if there'd been some subsidence, but I never saw anything in the local news about it.

Anyhow, the famous number 42....

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
View attachment 110

Er, fnarr.

Westminster Bridge, London, England.
It just goes to show how far our culture has drifted from its antediluvian innocence that people don't record the exact times this illusion happens so they can flock to Westminster Bridge to perform fertility rites. Pity, really. I might join in.

rynner2

Great Old One
It just goes to show how far our culture has drifted from its antediluvian innocence that people don't record the exact times this illusion happens so they can flock to Westminster Bridge to perform fertility rites. Pity, really. I might join in.
Westminster bridge runs almost exactly E-W, so the sun would have been to the south, and near noon. I can't be arsed to measure the elevation of the sun, but that would give the time of year (or two possibilities, anyway).

Or the EXIF info on the digital image would tell you exactly!

[The metadata tags defined in the Exif standard cover a broad spectrum:
  • Date and time information. Digital cameras will record the current date and time and save this in the metadata.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format ]

Ha! That's an excellent observation...you're absolutely right :)

Perhaps future generations will figure out this was the idea all along, and make documentaries outlining various subtly divergent theories. For example, that the disc-like shape of the mysterious dials on the nearby tower reveals the area as a temple to Biggben, the all-powerful priapic sun-God.

Westminster bridge runs almost exactly E-W, so the sun would have been to the south, and near noon. I can't be arsed to measure the elevation of the sun, but that would give the time of year (or two possibilities, anyway).

No metadata, as it's not the original camera file, I'm afraid.

I should make it clear that it's not my image either, so can take no credit for noticing this remarkable phenomena.

Edit: I have three dates on which the rude sillhouettes have been photographed: January 22nd / October 30th 2008, and Feb 25th / December 31st 2012. I would guess they'd be visible on any sunny day at some time or other, the dimensions and angle varying according the the position of the sun.

Turns out it's a famous tourist attraction now, unsurprisingly.

Last edited:

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide

[The metadata tags defined in the Exif standard cover a broad spectrum:
  • Date and time information. Digital cameras will record the current date and time and save this in the metadata.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format ]
Ummm, are you giving me this information in the hope I'll start orgiastic fertility rites on Westminster Bridge? If so, good on ya! I'll get right on it. You're all invited. Bring as few clothes and as much scotch as you can manage.

Ha! That's an excellent observation...you're absolutely right :)

Perhaps future generations will figure out this was the idea all along, and make documentaries outlining various subtly divergent theories. For example, that the disc-like shape of the mysterious dials on the nearby tower reveals the area as a temple to Biggben, the all-powerful priapic sun-God.
Oh, I so hope so!:D

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
We have a similarly fabulous shop reasonably near us - land-based rather than a chandlers though. It's family run and they encourage you to wander about and realise that you need something.

rynner2

Great Old One
I thought shuttering of some sort?
Yes. More specifically, as I said above:
"That's a wooden mould for making the reinforced concrete pillars that support the central span of the new Jubilee bridge in Hayle!

As all students of my Bridge website would know!
http://haylenewbridge.weebly.com/index.html "

Ha Ha! That'll be more work for the spiders and crawlers, and maybe even some new visitors to the website! ;)