Random/Peculiar Images

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

EnolaGaia

Staff member

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...

pandacracker

Ephemeral Spectre
I've seen this before. Seemed to me that nobody would want to live there because there's nothing but identical houses. No gardens or parking spots, for a start.
It's catastrophically bad isn't it.

What did they think would be it's sure fire selling point? They prepared for a lot of buyers.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Ahhhh, yes ... The summer solstice is upon us, and it's high time for warm-weather dogsledding across the lake ...

DogTeamOnIce-1906.jpg
Here's the real story ...

Startling photo shows what appears to be sled dogs walking on water

Danish Meteorological Institute (DMI) climate researcher Steffen M. Olsen captured this image in the northwest of Greenland as he and sled dogs traveled on top of sea ice flooded by surface melt water while he went to retrieve the research team's oceanographic moorings and weather station equipment. It appears that the dogs are walking on water. (Photo/Steffen M. Olsen and the Danish Meteorological Institute)

It may appear at first glance that this striking image shows sled dogs trotting nearly on top of the water's surface across northwest Greenland and the Arctic Ocean. That’s not exactly the case — but where that expansive sea of water now lies was once solid sea ice.

The dogs and Danish Meteorological Institute climate researcher Steffen M. Olsen, who captured this photo, are actually traveling across sea ice flooded by surface melt water — a melting which has not only created problems for researchers like Olsen, but also communities in Greenland that depend on the sea ice in its solid state.

The dogs and research team had to travel across the water, which scattered ice patches peeked through last Thursday, to complete the tough task of retrieving their oceanic moorings and weather station instruments on sea ice in this region of Greenland, Olsen’s colleague, Rasmus Tonboe, tweeted. Dog sledding was the chosen method of transport, as it's considered the most practical way to navigate the region this time of year, according to the researchers. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...ars-to-be-sled-dogs-walking-on-water/70008581

escargot

Beloved of Ra
It's catastrophically bad isn't it.

What did they think would be it's sure fire selling point? They prepared for a lot of buyers.
The problem perhaps is that the houses (one assumes they're houses rather than apartments, which would be even worse) are big and opulent-looking and so presumably expensive. People who can afford a big posh house want space around them and they'll pay for it.

So a hundred closely-packed mansions won't sell where, say, fifty mansions with gardens might.

However, I'm basing my hypothesis on Western thinking. Turkish people might feel differently about the price of both opulence and space, in which case I could be wrong.