Random/Peculiar Images

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Ahhhh, yes ... The summer solstice is upon us, and it's high time for warm-weather dogsledding across the lake ...

DogTeamOnIce-1906.jpg
Here's the real story ...

Startling photo shows what appears to be sled dogs walking on water

Danish Meteorological Institute (DMI) climate researcher Steffen M. Olsen captured this image in the northwest of Greenland as he and sled dogs traveled on top of sea ice flooded by surface melt water while he went to retrieve the research team's oceanographic moorings and weather station equipment. It appears that the dogs are walking on water. (Photo/Steffen M. Olsen and the Danish Meteorological Institute)

It may appear at first glance that this striking image shows sled dogs trotting nearly on top of the water's surface across northwest Greenland and the Arctic Ocean. That’s not exactly the case — but where that expansive sea of water now lies was once solid sea ice.

The dogs and Danish Meteorological Institute climate researcher Steffen M. Olsen, who captured this photo, are actually traveling across sea ice flooded by surface melt water — a melting which has not only created problems for researchers like Olsen, but also communities in Greenland that depend on the sea ice in its solid state.

The dogs and research team had to travel across the water, which scattered ice patches peeked through last Thursday, to complete the tough task of retrieving their oceanic moorings and weather station instruments on sea ice in this region of Greenland, Olsen’s colleague, Rasmus Tonboe, tweeted. Dog sledding was the chosen method of transport, as it's considered the most practical way to navigate the region this time of year, according to the researchers. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...ars-to-be-sled-dogs-walking-on-water/70008581

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
It's catastrophically bad isn't it.

What did they think would be it's sure fire selling point? They prepared for a lot of buyers.
The problem perhaps is that the houses (one assumes they're houses rather than apartments, which would be even worse) are big and opulent-looking and so presumably expensive. People who can afford a big posh house want space around them and they'll pay for it.

So a hundred closely-packed mansions won't sell where, say, fifty mansions with gardens might.

However, I'm basing my hypothesis on Western thinking. Turkish people might feel differently about the price of both opulence and space, in which case I could be wrong.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
I daren't look again but at the brief glimpse I saw I think it's Pete Doherty, ex-squeeze of Kate Moss, former singer with the Libertines and Babyshambles, long-time heroin addict, in the news years ago as a result of the death of a fellow party-goer (trying to phrase that within our libel laws. Feel free to edit if necessary.)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Is that an open border @Yithian ?

The falls are beautiful. Do you an idea about the water levels in the photo? Nice liitle cluster of people bottom right for scale.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Is that an open border @Yithian ?

The falls are beautiful. Do you an idea about the water levels in the photo? Nice liitle cluster of people bottom right for scale.
The only thing I know is that the current in the pool in the foreground is formidable and will drag you off rather than let you swim into another nation.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

Squirrel who managed to get his head stuck in a Dortmund (Germany) manhole cover.

And yes - much manpower and labor was invested in freeing the little scamp, who's recovering at the vet's ...

https://www.apnews.com/00904c83d7eb4304aa85421fdb023ea4
Bug eye Oranda at the Garden Centre Aquarium today. Rubbish phone pic through glass but you get the idea - didn't buy any, far too distracting.

View attachment 18266
Brilliant .. they look like they were designed by Gary Larson :wii:

.. and

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Another embroidery pattern that has been recommended to me. I couldn't stitch this because of the number of hands. Or rather the correct number of hands but.... I assume it's an excerpt from a larger picture.

1561321594760.png