Random/Peculiar Images

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
This photo isn't simply a surrealistic fantasy item - it's a concept illustration.

AirbusBirdOfPreyIllo.jpg
Airbus unveils new 'bird of prey' concept plane

European manufacturer Airbus has created a concept aircraft inspired by the natural features of eagles, hawks and other aerial predators.

The "Bird of Prey" concept was unveiled by Liam Fox, UK Secretary of State for International Trade, at the Royal International Air Tattoo air show on Friday.

Fox tweeted his support for the project alongside a video of the "Bird of Prey," which has a set of feathers on the tail and each wing tip. ...

The theoretical design is for a hybrid-electric, turbo-propeller aircraft, according to a statement on the Airbus website.

"Inspired by efficient mechanics of a bird, it has wing and tail structures that mimic those of a bird of prey, while featuring individually controlled feathers that provide active flight control," the statement reads.

The aircraft would be capable of carrying up to 80 passengers and would burn 30%-50% less fuel than comparable aircraft in operation today.

While the aircraft won't be built, the aim of the project is to motivate the next generation of aeronautical engineers, according to Martin Aston, a senior manager at Airbus.

"Our 'Bird of Prey' is designed to be an inspiration to young people and create a 'wow' factor that will help them consider an exciting career in the crucially-important aerospace sector," Aston said in the statement.
SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airbus-bird-of-prey-concept-scli-intl/index.html

hunck

Justified & Ancient
View attachment 19195

If anyone can identify the whys & wherefores without searching I'll be awarding points, & points mean prizes.
The holiday for 2 in Skegness goes unclaimed. It's an anti flu measure for office workers, from the US during the 1918 epidemic. I don't imagine too many people used one though..

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Whale+SeaLion.jpg
This is what it looks like when a sea lion gets in the way of a whale taking a big gulp o' plankton ...

A rare photograph shows a sea lion trapped in the mouth of a humpback whale

This sea lion found itself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Chase Dekker has been photographing wildlife for nearly a decade but has never captured a shot like this. He was on a routine whale-watching boat trip last week in Monterey Bay, California, when he noticed a sea lion stuck on the nose of humpback whale.

He immediately started photographing. ...

The results were incredible, as Dekker was able to capture the moment when the sea lion fell into the whale's mouth. ...

Don't worry, that sea lion managed to escape to open waters, though it was probably a little shaken up.

Humpback whales are filter-feeding animals who have no interest in consuming sea lions. In fact, that whale's esophagus is only about the size of a grapefruit or small melon, making it impossible to swallow such a creature. ...

Because the two animals are often feeding together, it makes sense that a whale accidentally catches a sea lion now and then, but up to this point, no one is known to have captured the moment. ...
SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/30/us/sea-lion-humpback-whale-trnd/index.html

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman

EnolaGaia

Staff member
The 1913 Capetown To Cairo Expedition, headed by Captain Raleigh Kelsey, was sponsored by The (Daily) Telegraph.

It didn't go well ...

This 2013 centennial article summarizes the disaster(s) that prevented the expedition from riding their motorcar more than a third of the way to Cairo.

The African expedition doomed for disaster
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/10174069/The-African-expedition-doomed-for-disaster.html

This article mentions their taking a gramophone with them, but there's no mention of the Bleating Lamb record.

See Also:
http://capetocairo2011.blogspot.com/2011/05/first-group-to-drive-by-car-cape-to.html

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Rifles and pistols...

February 1952: Rifles and pistols are slung on the shoulders and pockets of planters lining up in a bar. (Photo by Howard Sochurek/The LIFE Picture Collection via Getty Images/Getty Images)--likely Malaya.

gettyimages-50862749-2048x2048.jpg

Get any trouble from the bandits up this way?
No, quiet... very quiet most evenings...

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Rifles and pistols...

February 1952: Rifles and pistols are slung on the shoulders and pockets of planters lining up in a bar. (Photo by Howard Sochurek/The LIFE Picture Collection via Getty Images/Getty Images)--likely Malaya.

View attachment 19395

Where? South Africa?

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Rifles and pistols...

View attachment 19395

Large nose on the chap on the right..

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
February 1952: Rifles and pistols are slung on the shoulders and pockets of planters lining up in a bar.

It would be very quiet if the chap with the rifle had his way, because he’s carrying an extremely unusual weapon: the “silenced” De Lisle carbine. This was a Lee Enfield Mk. III* converted to .45 ACP and fitted with an integral sound moderator.

A rare weapon, and not my first choice for the circumstances in which these fellows found themselves.

maximus otter

Last edited: