Random/Peculiar Images

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
My great great Grandfather, John Moules as a little boy in the 1870's .. they don't look very rich so I wonder how they could even have afforded to have this photo taken back then. I looked uncannily like John as a little boy in the 70' .. also this old photo was taken in Norfolk, I'm the first in our family since back then to live in Norfolk.

I'd love to track down this house and visit it. I doubt it still exists but you never know ..

View attachment 20745

.. my great great great Grandmother Caroline is also in this picture, I'm told she lived to 102.
I have old family photos like that. Last time I posted them I was laughed out of'ere!

michael59

Ephemeral Spectre
I think it's awesome to have history on film. I don't know why you were laughed at. I would like to see your heritage in old film.

We were never a close family. I hardly know my family other than the immediate members. My mom's family moved here to Canada in the 50's and she met my dad, who was also from Scotland, on an elevator in the hotel they were staying in.

I do know that my brothers and I are the first generation born in Canada. I don't have any pictures that are older than the 50's and my great grandfather was John Logie Baird. Imagine trying to prove that without any background info or photos. lol

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Best post of the week!

Though "Panoramatic" leads to "Panoromantic" which leads to "14-yr-old gender-fluid" on Google anyway. Best leave it there! :oops:

Guess these were just plain Panoramic doggies trapped between the lenses, or something. :)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

DayOfDead-A.jpg
Day of the Dead: Giant skeleton 'crawls out' of Mexico street

A giant skeleton has "emerged" from a street in the Tlahuac neighbourhood of Mexico City.

Much to the delight of local children, the sculpture has been placed in the city street ahead of the Day of the Dead celebrations on 1 and 2 November.
SOURCE: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50219852

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
wildfirewedding.png

This may appear to be a staged photo taken in a studio setting. It isn't ...

It's an actual outdoor photo of a bride and groom whose long-planned wedding in California wine country was adversely affected by all the wildfires.

The photo is startling. A bride and groom posing in a smoky vineyard near Chateau St. Jean Vineyard in Kenwood, California, wearing face masks to protect them from wildfire smoke.

Curtis and Katie Ferland, a couple from Chicago, had been planning their destination wedding in Northern California wine country for a year.

When they arrived in California for the big event, they were inundated with news coverage of the Kincade Fire burning across Sonoma County. "The first thing we see on TV when we turn it on is flames everywhere," Curtis told ABC.

Chaos ensued. Wedding guests were evacuated from the Airbnb rooms they'd rented and the couple thought they would have to cancel their long-anticipated celebration.

“On the day of the wedding and the 24 hours before it, pretty much everything about their plans had to change. Everything about the wedding, all the events were going to occur outdoors and the smoke in the air was so strong that they moved everything inside except for the 20-minute ceremony," wedding photographer Karna Roa told AccuWeather.

Katie and Curtis Ferland pose in masks during their Sonoma County wedding. (Karna Roa / KMR Photography)
On the advice of their wedding coordinator, Curtis and Katie handed out masks to protect them from the thick smoke billowing from the wildfire burning just miles away.
FULL STORY: https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...rnia-wildfire-wedding-photo-goes-viral/611088

hunck

Justified & Ancient

Rare 'Ice eggs' found on beach in Finland

“The biggest of the eggs was about the size of a football,”

“You need the right air temperature (below zero, but only a bit), the right water temperature (near freezing point), a shallow and gently sloping sandy beach and calm waves, maybe a light swell,” he said.

“You also need something that acts as the core. The core begins to collect ice around it and the swell moves it along the beach, forward and back. A small ball surface gets wet, freezes and becomes bigger and bigger.”

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient