Random/Peculiar Images

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
My Grandad worked for Rolls Royce to help develop the merlin engine with his best mate for the spitfire .. his best mate's name is my Dad's first name and also my middle name.
One of the best sounds ever is that of a Merlin, especially when it's in a Spitfire or Mustanf flying low and fast - always a highlight of any airshow I went to.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
One of the best sounds ever is that of a Merlin, especially when it's in a Spitfire or Mustanf flying low and fast - always a highlight of any airshow I went to.
There's one on display in the Manchester Science Museum. Sadly it will never be heard again.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Last one, I promise.

A Spitfire dipping its iconic wing when overflying HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales while docked at HM Naval Base Portsmouth.

ELGa1umXYAAQqRJ.jpeg

Source:
https://twitter.com/testpilotjim

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
Reaction score
My Dad used to take us for picnics at the end of RAF Waddington runway just to watch the Vulcan taking off and feel it's noise.
I went to the Last Laugh Lightning Show at RAF Binbrook - 9 x Lightnings took off one after the other, went into a vertical climb and came round in formation - still makes me grin when I watch it :)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
Not a jacket. It's part of the saddle.
It looks like they saddled the horse over its rug...or else it's a vera vera fancy saddle cloth...On a closer look - I recognise no saddle, just a rug that's been reversed

Which would explain why his boots aren't in irons (stirrups), and why I can't see a girth or surcingle...and his martingale, or breastplate isn't attached either...Curious.

Why is he sitting on the reins?

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
The jacket looks real. Is it actually part of the statue?
no, everything visible is metal on a stone plinth. Apart for the two traffic cones of course :)

We have several rather fine equestrian statues. No clue who the humans are mind you. My favourite is this one with the moving tail :) I don't have any proof that it moves nowadays though....

https://www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSE01386

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
It looks like they saddled the horse over its rug...or else it's a vera vera fancy saddle cloth...On a closer look - I recognise no saddle, just a rug that's been reversed

Which would explain why his boots aren't in irons (stirrups), and why I can't see a girth or surcingle...and his martingale, or breastplate isn't attached either...Curious.

Why is he sitting on the reins?
It's a military horse saddle with an integrated cloth and armour.