Random/Peculiar Images

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Glory Hole Falls, Arizona. I know what you're thinking (perverts)! ...
Just for the record, here's a summary of the phrase's etymology and history ....
glory hole (n.)

1825, "drawer or box where things are heaped together in a disorderly manner." The first element probably is a variant of Scottish glaur "to make muddy, dirty, defile" (Middle English glorien, mid-15c.), which is perhaps from Old Norse leir "mud." Hence, in nautical use, "a small room between decks," and, in mining, "large opening or pit." Meaning "opening through which the interior of a furnace may be seen and reached" (originally in glassblowing) is from 1849, probably from glory (n.), which had developed a sense of "circle or ring of light" by 1690s. Sexual (originally homosexual) sense from 1940s.
SOURCE: https://www.etymonline.com/word/glory hole

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Gravesend, 1895, the last time the Thames froze.

Horrible place now, sadly, but what a magnificent name for a place.

View attachment 22371

Also, seasonally:

Because of the insensitivity of Victorian photographic plates, exposure times were often measured in minutes rather than fractions of a second. That’s why you usually only see pictures of beached, stranded or grounded vessels. (It’s also why portrait studios had clamps to hold the subjects’ heads steady).

maximus otter

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
'How to Make Applehead Dolls for Pleasure and Profit', self-published book by Drena Dotson, 1962.

View attachment 22249
Has a more sinister looking woman ever stalked the earth?

Even her name, Drena Dotson, sounds like its an alias which she's made up in a hurry while being asked by a police inspector where she was last Tuesday between 11pm and 3am.

skinny

Ásatrúarfélagið
Makes ya think, so it does. I'm up on the mountain a lot currently while the moon's away. Thursday I was up there when the ol half moon arose all brown from smoke after midnight. Magic in the sky all about. I hate waiting for the summer sun to fuck off. Completely overstay's itself in January.

michael59

Ephemeral Spectre
I hope this is the correct thread for posting this. I posted a GIF in Cat's & People, what are they like because I thought it was really cute. I was checking my alerts this morning and there were likes for it so I looked at it again and saw something that I thought was a little bit bizarre.

It's about the way the squirrel appears "magically" on screen? Why do you think that it was portrayed like this? How or why would the squirrel just appear like that?

giphy.gif