Random/Peculiar Images

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
I didn't know who he was until Star Trek New Generation. He was a really handsome man in his day.

I have a friend who's in her 70's and she is practically obsessed with him. lol
I first encountered Patrick Stewart in the BBC series I, Claudius, which was an adaptation of the Robert Graves novel of the same name. The series was made in the mid-1970s but I recall seeing it in the early 1980s. He was quite dishy in his role as Sejanus.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
it does look like a balloon to me, the way it's ribbed (ooooer) and gently curved.
The only, reasonably-certain things seem to be that it is American - Shorpy always is - Washington D. C. in this case - and it is dated 1936.

The double-doors are strongly suggestive of a lock-up garage setting, so automobile associations come naturally. Gas was plentiful at this period, so it's not the time or place to be experimenting with alternative fuels. Does he have ear-pieces?

It would take iron lungs to inflate the thing, for sure! :dunno:

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
This is a bit random and faintly peculiar : I took a photo from the top of WhiteLeaf (chalk cross) overlooking Princes Risborough last year. My eye caught some figures standing in a field and I zoomed in with my crappy camera. There were still there today - any ideas what they are ?

Whiteleaf01.jpg Whiteleaf02.jpg
Whiteleaf03.jpg

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
It's Alain Delon - so I'd say it must be from a fillum about a priest.

(Les Dawson appears to be in it to - reprising his Ada.)

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
This is a bit random and faintly peculiar : I took a photo from the top of WhiteLeaf (chalk cross) overlooking Princes Risborough last year. My eye caught some figures standing in a field and I zoomed in with my crappy camera. There were still there today - any ideas what they are ?
I think it's just four young trees. Very oddly and geometrically positioned, mind.

The subject is between two different areas of housing separated by fields, viewable from the hill, and to the left of a right angled hedgeline (not visible in the capture below) that butts into a larger irregular shaped field . Using those factors I got to here:

Four odd trees copy.jpg

You can see the odd rectangle of what I'm pretty sure are trees in the upper left quadrant.

Using Street View you can just about see them from the Longwick Road - and although, as I say, I'm pretty sure they are trees - when viewed in the middle distance of a relatively poor quality image they do look oddly like large figures.

(Theoretically, you might get an uninterrupted view looking south east from a point on the Lower Icknield Way, but the hedge is too high at the right place for Street View to be of any use.)

Last edited:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think it's just four young trees. Very oddly and geometrically positioned, mind.

The subject is between two different areas of housing separated by fields, viewable from the hill, and to the left of a right angled hedgeline that butts into a larger irregular shaped field (not visible in the capture below). Using those factors I got to here:

View attachment 28156

You can see the odd rectangle of what I'm pretty sure are trees in the upper left quadrant.

Using Street View you can just about see them from the Longwick Road - and although, as I say, I'm pretty sure they are trees - when viewed in the middle distance of a relatively poor quality image they do look oddly like large figures.

(Theoretically, you might get an uninterrupted view looking south east from a point on the Lower Icknield Way, but the hedge is too high at the right place for Street View to be of any use.)
Great work, Spookdaddy. I spent a while using Google but didn't have your success. That is certainly a very odd place to plant four trees!

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
Great work, Spookdaddy. I spent a while using Google but didn't have your success. That is certainly a very odd place to plant four trees!
Yes, quite odd. The one possibility that does come to mind is that they've been deliberately placed by landowners to mark out an area to be avoided while ploughing; possibly the foundations of an old building (although you'd probably expect more surface evidence in that case), underground water courses close to the surface, old wells...that kind of thing.

Last edited:

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Outstanding work @Spookdaddy, I didn't think to use Google map. Possibly there are marks on the landscape, difficult to know what is modern. I shall go for a closer look.

Whiteleaf04.jpg

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Outstanding work @Spookdaddy, I didn't think to use Google map. Possibly there are marks on the landscape, difficult to know what is modern. I shall go for a closer look.

View attachment 28161
Its a very odd way to have trees. And comparing nearby shadows they must be quite small. And yet can be seen by eye at some distance. As mentioned above you'd be able to see marks on the map if it was an old building. I wonder if it something like stumps from a removed pylon or such, perhaps with trees growing around them?

You'll have to go back an investigate in person. !