Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Does/did France have different copyright laws or did the Star Wars franchise say "yeah, that sounds good :twothumbs: "?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
They couldn't really complain after their Holiday Special.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
Random & Very Peculiar Moving Image Arriving . . .

Cinesavant.com posted a link to this gem: a French Star Wars Disco Ballet from 1977.

I hate Star Wars, so I loved this! The visuals are mad enough but the odd grunts or orgasmic sighs on the soundtrack are not quite what we expect from these strange encounters! :hapdan:
This clip reminds me that Michel Drucker has been on French television for donkey's years.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just discovered Henry Lamb's wonderful portrait of Lytton Strachey in elongated form--and I think it's wonderful:

T00118_10.jpg

Giles Lytton Strachey (1880-1932) was a critic and biographer who established a reputation with his book 'Eminent Victorians', published in 1918. He was one of the members of the so-called Bloomsbury Group, which included the writer Virginia Woolf and the painters Roger Fry, Vanessa Bell and Duncan Grant. Lamb painted a small portrait of Strachey in his studio in the Vale of Health, Hampstead in 1912, and then painted this grand larger version two years later. Strachey once said that he was unable to lift a match before breakfast and this portrait shows him in a typically languid pose.

Source:
https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/lamb-lytton-strachey-t00118

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Random & Very Peculiar Moving Image Arriving . . .

Cinesavant.com posted a link to this gem: a French Star Wars Disco Ballet from 1977.

I hate Star Wars, so I loved this! The visuals are mad enough but the odd grunts or orgasmic sighs on the soundtrack are not quite what we expect from these strange encounters! :hapdan:
THAT WAS FANTASTIC:cool:

And sent me down a youtube hole leading to this...not nearly as excellent but amusing enough

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Ever seen dark equines casting striped shadows?
28346-8b1397fbcfb433eba1bcccf4e3e94fbe.jpg
The illusion this image illustrates has been used for military counter-reconnaissance deception.

Laboratory simulation experiments with photographic imagery and models demonstrated that fabric pseudo-shadows designed to mimic midday shadows beneath (e.g.) fighter planes and laid out on (e.g.) an airfield tarmac were indistinguishable from actual aircraft to an observer flying overhead. The prominent shadows consistently tricked the airborne observers into believing they were seeing the solid 3D objects their imagination inserted into their perceptions of the scene.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
The illusion this image illustrates has been used for military counter-reconnaissance deception.

Laboratory simulation experiments with photographic imagery and models demonstrated that fabric pseudo-shadows designed to mimic midday shadows beneath (e.g.) fighter planes and laid out on (e.g.) an airfield tarmac were indistinguishable from actual aircraft to an observer flying overhead. The prominent shadows consistently tricked the airborne observers into believing they were seeing the solid 3D objects their imagination inserted into their perceptions of the scene.
Check out the claims of Jasper Maskelyne during World War II for example, FT issue 185.