Random/Peculiar Images

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I didn't see that in the local news! Do you have a link to the story? Looks like somewhere near Snow Hill, but I can't be sure.
The photos aren't from a news site. They were taken by railway staff and shard on social media.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
This is the oldest known photograph of my ancestors on my Dad's side of the family taken in the early 1880's. This picture was taken in Norfolk, England. Funnily enough, I'm the first person in our family tree to live in Norfolk since .. I'd love to find out if this house still stands and if so to visit it ..

aswiftfamilyphoto01.jpg

This little boy is my Great Great Grandfather, Henry. I looked identical to him at the same age, it's like looking at myself as a time traveller. I met his Daughter (my Great Grandmother) only once in the early 1980's. The elderly woman in the picture is my Great Great Great Great Grandmother.

Henry became a ship's captain as an adult and went on to marry Mary. When they were both old, Henry became ill and was bedridden. His family decided not to tell Mary about this out of fear of upsetting her because she was also ill and bedridden in a different room in their home. Family legend has it that at the same time Henry died, Mary, who hadn't been told, raised her arms from her bed and said "Henry, I'm coming for you." then she also died.

My Grandma had been the custodian of our family's historic pictures spanning the century and kept them in an ornate photograph album complete with loads of hand written notes. She'd promised to gift the album to my Dad one day and she did just that. Because nobody was home on the day she delivered the album, she decided to place it inside our gas BBQ with the lid closed in case it rained. The thing was, that summer in the mid 80's, me and my best mate would walk to my house from school and often switch the BBQ on without having any reason to lift the lid first. In fact, we deliberately wouldn't lift the lid so the BBQ could heat up quicker. For some strange reason that neither of us have ever been able to explain to this day, my best mate decided to lift the lid first on a whim that day and discovered my entire family history just sitting there about to be set on fire.

The album is now safely in my Dad's hands, he's also copied all of the pictures and notes onto discs for various family members. Myself and the Mrs don't have any kids to pass this album onto so the responsibility of safeguarding it to pass onto future family members will almost certainly be handed over to my Sister and her kids.

Who me

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
That’s amazing swifty I’m jealous mate we don’t have anything like that in my family.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
That’s amazing swifty I’m jealous mate we don’t have anything like that in my family.
I’m the keeper of our family pictures and for Christmas 2018 I scanned a number of them in and got them made into a book for my mum. She loved it.

Who me

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Brilliant I bet she was well chuffed.
My step-father burnt all the family photos before he died for some reason !!
My brothers and sister were not very happy about it but towards the end of his life he was not a well man.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
This image was taken at the Khara Desert, Isfahan Province, Iran. Very silent Khara sand dunes make the landscape spectacular and a great place for meditation or jogging in the desert. ...
Also getting lost and dying of thirst less than 50 yards from the road because all the dunes look the same.
(Similar nearly happened to Escet. Taught him a lesson!)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m about 200 yards from the cathedral as I write.
Really icy underfoot .
Most jealous.

Wish we could meet for a coffee.

I distinctly recall falling on my back while crossing an icy Prebends Bridge.

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
Can anyone identify these footprints we spotted a little while ago in the ditch outside our garden? Are they rabbit/hare something like that?

They are about 2.5 inches in length.

Footprints1.JPGFootprints2.JPG

Sgt Girth

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
As I am part Irish, I can state, with a fair degree of authority, that these are unmistakable leprechaun tracks.....if the footprints are still intact you might be able to follow them to a hidden stash of lucky charms!

Ogdred Weary

Cryptozoomologist
Reaction score
How about something stronger?
The Victoria Inn, Hallgarth Street. About 350 yards from the Cathedral. I took this in February 2019 when there was a strange spell of warm weather for about a week and people were going about in t-shirts.

View attachment 33672
I unironically love it when publicans decorate their premises with tat. There was a pub I went in as a teen and there was a continuous shelf running around most of the lounge dedicated to various porcelain pigs.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Brilliant I bet she was well chuffed.
My step-father burnt all the family photos before he died for some reason !!
My brothers and sister were not very happy about it but towards the end of his life he was not a well man.
I rescued a lot of old family pics from my mum who had a habit of chopping up pics to fit in frames rather than get a bigger frame or sticking gthem in albums with huge wodges of sellotape and then ripping them up when she decided to put them in another album.
I spent ages scanning them, like this one of my grandparents and my oldest uncle - must have been taken around 1915-16.
y5rtfgt.jpg

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
I rescued a lot of old family pics from my mum who had a habit of chopping up pics to fit in frames rather than get a bigger frame or sticking gthem in albums with huge wodges of sellotape and then ripping them up when she decided to put them in another album.
I spent ages scanning them, like this one of my grandparents and my oldest uncle - must have been taken around 1915-16.
View attachment 33676
The baby in the picture went onto serve in WW2 in the far east with the Chindits -we didn't find out until after he died. He was always a really quiet, gentle sort of person and the last person you would expect to serve in a unit like the Chindits - basically a bunch of hard bastards parachuted behind Japanese lines to cause trouble.
wbww2a.jpg

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score
I unironically love it when publicans decorate their premises with tat.
Yes, otherwise you might as well stay at home and get pissed. Feb 2019 was actually the last time I set foot in a pub, and if I knew then what I know now, I'd have had some massive benders in Jan/Feb/March 2020. And most of 2019 if I'm honest.

I also love it when landlords put those pictures up of dogs playing cards. I think you'd have to try very hard to get thrown out of a place like that.
And what about when they stuck bank notes from all around the world on the ceiling? That was usually Irish or Australian bars.
There's a pub in York with a human skeleton sitting on a bar stool.

A few years ago there was a photo in the paper of a ghost in a Durham pub. To me it just looked like a normal customer but the people involved swore he wasn't there when the photo was taken.
It was in the Dun Cow. This is the bar of the Dun Cow in Feb 2019, looks a bit bleaker that the Victoria but it was alright really. Salty pies though.

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 21.27.40JP.jpg