Random/Peculiar Images

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
A little background to this one. The Scottish Daily Record has a section called Kind Hearts where readers can thank people who've done them a good turn, or dedicate a charity donation to a deceased loved one... you know the kind of thing, a little heartwarming feature that restores your faith in human kindness.

Here is today's Kind Hearts section:

20210111_174306_compress79.jpg

MartyMcFly

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
How about something stronger?
The Victoria Inn, Hallgarth Street. About 350 yards from the Cathedral. I took this in February 2019 when there was a strange spell of warm weather for about a week and people were going about in t-shirts.

View attachment 33672
Strangely enough (or not), the last time I was in Durham was February 2020. I visited those two pubs as well (along with a few others).

The Victoria is a gem, as is the Dun Cow. I like the sliding door into the bar, but weirdly rarely go in the bar and end up where your photo is taken.

My other favourite pub in the city is the Colpitts on the other side of town, magnificent place, especially if you get in the snug by the fire.

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score
Strangely enough (or not), the last time I was in Durham was February 2020. I visited those two pubs as well (along with a few others).

The Victoria is a gem, as is the Dun Cow. I like the sliding door into the bar, but weirdly rarely go in the bar and end up where your photo is taken.

My other favourite pub in the city is the Colpitts on the other side of town, magnificent place, especially if you get in the snug by the fire.
People I’ve taken into the front of the Dun Cow have all been shocked at how small that room is. ‘Cosy’ is one way of putting it. Can’t work with any kind of social distancing.

MartyMcFly

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
People I’ve taken into the front of the Dun Cow have all been shocked at how small that room is. ‘Cosy’ is one way of putting it. Can’t work with any kind of social distancing.
Indeed. Most of the pubs in Durham aren't really set up for social distancing, especially the nicest ones.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a Jackalope?
The jackalope is a mythical animal of North American folklore described as a jackrabbit with antelope horns. The word jackalope is a portmanteau of jackrabbit and antelope. Many jackalope taxidermy mounts, including the original, are made with deer antlers. Wikipedia
Wolpertinger-said-to-live-in-Germany.jpg

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Travelers Rest on Claypath still there? That used to be my regular haunt.

MartyMcFly

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Travelers Rest on Claypath still there? That used to be my regular haunt.
Think it shut around 20 years ago, became a restaurant and then not sure what happened since then, a shame.

Always liked the Woodman at the top of Claypath, think it's still open but not been in years.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've been backing up pictures all afternoon on to a Seagate hard drive and here are a few of my favourites from my travels a decade ago...

The monkeys on a bike are in Siam Reap/Angkor Wat (it's possible I posted one before); the boat with my bike on it is Ayutthaya in Thailand and I think the temple is in Sukhotai.

IMG_3438 copy.JPG
IMG_3431 copy.jpg
IMG_4081 copy.jpg
IMG_4346 copy.jpg

Last edited: