Random/Peculiar Images

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Hmmm.....I'm doubtful - looks a bit Photoshopped - it has a 'drawn round' appearance, the part touching the water is suspiciously straight & wouldn't there be some disturbance in the water in front of it if when leaping from the water? - there isn't any..

I suspect it's been extracted from another picture & inserted.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I wondered the same thing at first ... The main thing that made me skeptical was the crisp horizontal cut-off at the bottom / base of the jumping manta ray. However, on closer inspection I could see there's a wave or swell immediately in front of the ray and occluding its point of emergence from the water.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I wondered the same thing at first ... The main thing that made me skeptical was the crisp horizontal cut-off at the bottom / base of the jumping manta ray. However, on closer inspection I could see there's a wave or swell immediately in front of the ray and occluding its point of emergence from the water.

You have better eyesight than me! I'd expect more of a major disturbance in the water..

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
The surfer's father (the photographer) said he took that picture using 'burst mode' - i.e., the camera took several snaps in quick succession. I'd like to see the entire set of frames / shots.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a small boat wrapped around a tree during an outbreak of unusually severe storms and tornados in Alabama.

BoatWrappedAroundTree.jpg

MUST-SEE: Boat found wrapped around tree following severe storms in Central Alabama

“That’s a boat y’all.”

The Central Alabama Electric Cooperative workers who took this picture in Dallas County needn’t say more. As utility crews worked to assess damage in the Central Alabama following severe storms Wednesday afternoon, they happened upon this incredible sight. ...

SOURCE: https://www.cbs42.com/weather/sever...e-following-severe-storms-in-central-alabama/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
OwlOnLens.jpg

See Anything Tasty? A Snack Would Really Hit The Spot ...
Wildlife photographer’s wife snaps amazing photo of one of world’s largest owls as it landed on his camera lens

A wildlife photographer has joked that his wife beat him at his own game - as she captured this amazing photo of one of the world’s largest owls perched on his camera lens.

Keith Kirk, 64, had to stay very still as the European eagle owl - one of the world’s largest species of owl - came in to land on his camera lens, as he peered through the viewfinder.

Both Keith and his wife Caroline, 60, were literally “watching the birdie” - but it was Caroline who captured the amazing moment on camera, in Castle Douglas, Scotland. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/wildlife-photographer-owl-camera-image-b1818585.html

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
View attachment 36936
See Anything Tasty? A Snack Would Really Hit The Spot ...
Wildlife photographer’s wife snaps amazing photo of one of world’s largest owls as it landed on his camera lens

A wildlife photographer has joked that his wife beat him at his own game - as she captured this amazing photo of one of the world’s largest owls perched on his camera lens.

Jussssssssst out of shot.

Keith Kirk, 64, had to stay very still as the European eagle owl - one of the world’s largest species of owl - came in to land on his camera lens, as he peered through the viewfinder.

Both Keith and his wife Caroline, 60, were literally “watching the birdie” - but it was Caroline who captured the amazing moment on camera, in Castle Douglas, Scotland. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/wildlife-photographer-owl-camera-image-b1818585.html

Jusssssssssssst out of shot.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
He lost his drivers license...

View attachment 37029
Assuming this is genuine, you do wonder what goes through a driver's mind when they do something like that (and van and trucks loaded to an absurdly dangerous degree etc.). Is the driver born stupid or was stupidity something they acquired on the way?

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
They always used to advise people to tie a rag to any projecting load. He had a flag, so presumably felt he was in the clear! :truce:

If this had been in the USA there'd have to be a warning flag on both ends of the flagpole. A bright-colored warning flag is required on any / all portions of the oversized load that protrude beyond the edges of the carrying vehicle.

Gizmos Mama

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Are those stacked images? There was something on the Gadget Show about this a couple of weeks ago.
Yes. About 625 or so. I used a free software called Deep Sky Stacker. The total exposure time was 1 hr, 3.5 min, but the longest exposure was only 15 seconds.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
A British Army AH-64 Apache aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth.

I'm hesitant about this :/ but isn't it TWO of them? I think that the Apache has just the one rotor. If it's an optical illusion caused by the rotation speed then that is an astonishing amount of vertical variation.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
He lost his drivers license...

View attachment 37029
Today on my bike ride I spotted a 6' long piece of yellow pipe insulation lying beside the cycle path.

I love that stuff so I went back that way to collect it, and had to figure out how to carry it.

Eventually dug out my emergency duffle bag to stuff it in but had first been tempted to tie it along the length of the bike so it stuck out like a figurehead. I'd've been stopped and fined and ended up on this page with my face ineptly blanked out.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm hesitant about this :/ but isn't it TWO of them? I think that the Apache has just the one rotor. ...

There are two helicopters parked in single file. The rear one (obscured by the Apache) has side extensions above its rear (tricycle) landing gear, so I suspect it's a Merlin.