Random/Peculiar Images

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think this massive stash of weapons was destined for use in Middle Eastern wedding celebrations.

WeaponsSeized-USSMonterey-2105.jpg
The weapons seizure so big it covered the rear deck of a 567-foot US warship

A joint US Navy and Coast Guard team seized thousands of illicit weapons last week after stopping a small ship in the North Arabian Sea ...

The cruiser USS Monterey stopped the stateless dhow on May 6 during a routine operation to verify its registry ...

A US Coast Guard Advanced Interdiction Team deployed on the Navy ship then boarded the dhow and found the weapons stash. ...

The massive arms haul covered much of the rear flight deck of the 567-foot (173-meter) US warship after it was transferred over in what the Navy said was a two-day operation.

"The cache of weapons included dozens of advanced Russian-made anti-tank guided missiles, thousands of Chinese Type 56 assault rifles, and hundreds of PKM machine guns, sniper rifles and rocket-propelled grenade launchers. Other weapon components included advanced optical sights," the Navy statement said. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/10/midd...apons-arabian-sea-intl-hnk-scli-ml/index.html

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A century ago American submarines sailed the Pacific. When's the last time you saw a submarine under full sail? Wait - what? ....
USN-Sub-R-14-Sailing.jpg

R-14 — under acting command of Lieutenant Alexander Dean Douglas – ran out of usable fuel and lost radio communications in May 1921 while on a surface search mission for the seagoing tug Conestoga about 100 nmi (120 mi; 190 km) southeast of the island of Hawaii. Since the submarine's electric motors did not have enough battery power to propel her to Hawaii, the ship's engineering officer Roy Trent Gallemore came up with a novel solution to their problem. Lieutenant Gallemore decided they could try to sail the boat to the port of Hilo, Hawaii. He therefore ordered a foresail made of eight hammocks hung from a top boom made of pipe bunk frames lashed firmly together, all tied to the vertical kingpost of the torpedo loading crane forward of the submarine's superstructure. Seeing that this gave R-14 a speed of about 1 kn (1.2 mph; 1.9 km/h), as well as rudder control, he ordered a mainsail made of six blankets, hung from the sturdy radio mast (top sail in photo). This added .5 kn (0.58 mph; 0.93 km/h) to the speed. He then ordered a mizzen made of eight blankets hung from another top boom made of bunk frames, all tied to the vertically placed boom of the torpedo loading crane. This sail added another .5 kn (0.58 mph; 0.93 km/h). Around 12:30 pm on 12 May, Gallemore was able to begin charging the boat's batteries. After 64 hours under sail at slightly varying speeds, R-14 entered Hilo Harbor under battery propulsion on the morning of 15 May 1921. ...
FULL STORY: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_R-14_(SS-91)

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Have to say that 'sophisticated' images of people smoking look like the opposite to me. They come across as dumbos.

That's just me, of course. Even at 14 when most of my friends were taking it up to appear grown-up I was thinking 'Suckers!'

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
_118508001_mediaitem118507999.jpg

This photo may not seem strange, until you find out it is from inside a Russian prison.

"The Russian prison service Gufsin has posted photos of red British phone boxes and a mural of Big Ben - all the creations of Siberian prisoners.

The phone boxes are real - so that inmates can stay in touch with friends and relatives, Gufsin said.

Russian-UK relations are distinctly chilly, but London's allure goes far."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57117638