Random/Peculiar Images

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
1640725247581.png

Twitter cleaning done. Reduced following from 315 to 259. This picture is from 9gag ...

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
These are my last, but it's been fun and I love the paintings.

Image 1: Weird ghost man with a hatchet whose lower body is missing.

Image 2: Lighthouse windows are like a screaming face.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Our suburban garden is regular wildlife haven - deer, woodpeckers, badgers, foxes and more - but these are new for us. We've only seen them once, not long before Christmas - hopefully they didn't end up in anybody's Christmas meal.

IMG_4100 copy.jpg
IMG_4098 copy.jpg

WeeScottishLassie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Can anyone identify this painting?

Stravinsky, Orpheus, US Philips-Davis LP sleeve.jpg

It could have been commissioned for the record-sleeve, though it is not credited. It appears only on the US Mercury issue of the UK Philips recording.

It avoids the usual drama of the Orpheus story. Eurydice smiles serenely, as she is led into the Kingdom of the Shades, while Orpheus, watching from the sky, appears armed with a bow rather than his usual lyre. On closer inspection, the "bow" is reflected in the cloud, to frame him within a symbolic lyre-shaped window, echoed by the descending blue shapes on the right, carried on a stream of light. These must be the musical notes, disturbing the sleep of the dead.

Reverse image-searches just throw up the scans of this sleeve on discogs and archive.org. I am tending towards the view that it was created especially for the record, in the late sixties with a whiff of flower-power in the air . . . :dunno:

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
He looks a bit like Frankenstein's monster. lol

That was De Niro!

I know and he looks terrible in that photo. He looks like the Frankenstein monster.

View attachment 50017
View attachment 50018
Um... I didn't want to say anything at first, assuming we all took this as a little joke, but just to be sure: we all know that the cocaine photo is not De Niro (who did once play the monster) but Al Pacino, sometimes known as the poor man's De Niro. Right?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
What is the figure to the right of the middle top white dot?

I take that to be Orpheus himself, peering down into Hades! :thought:

I think the large silhouetted figure on the right edge is another zombie-like shade, whose heart appears to be newly infused with life by the music?

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score
I take that to be Orpheus himself, peering down into Hades! :thought:

I think the large silhouetted figure on the right edge is another zombie-like shade, whose heart appears to be newly infused with life by the music?

*nodding* works for me.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Um... I didn't want to say anything at first, assuming we all took this as a little joke, but just to be sure: we all know that the cocaine photo is not De Niro (who did once play the monster) but Al Pacino, sometimes known as the poor man's De Niro. Right?

I doubt Pacino is known as the poor man's De Niro anymore after the last three decades of their careers.

michael59

Justified & Incandecent
Reaction score
I always got those 2 mixed up.

I also used to mix up Dustin Hoffman with Al Pacino.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone identify this painting?
... I am tending towards the view that it was created especially for the record, in the late sixties with a whiff of flower-power in the air . . . :dunno:

I don't think it's a painting by a single artist. There's a mixture of styles and textures, with some bits suggestive of illustrators active at the time. The lower right corner reeks of Powers, Gaughan, or any of a number of illustrators.

The flat 2D Art Nouveau styling was a widespread fad in 1967, but only some figures in this work exhibit it and no two in exactly the same way. The leftmost figure suggests (e.g.) Leo / Diane Dillon or Goodfellow. The downward-looking figure at the top suggests Dillons or Charles Moll (or lots of others), and there's a faint outline of a bare leg and foot that appears to be a classic-style drawing.

On close inspection some of the disparate bits have bordering edges suggestive of pieces pasted into / onto the work.

I suspect it's a collage with overpainting.

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I always got those 2 mixed up.

I also used to mix up Dustin Hoffman with Al Pacino.
It's like the old Saturday Night Live sketch where Ricardo Montalban, Fernando Lamas, and Cesar Romero went out together and got so drunk they forgot which of them was which.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
a collage with overpainting.

I think it is all-of-a-piece, whatever the techniques involved.

What I had taken to be the hand of Orpheus on his lyre, magnified, could be interpreted as a phallus, ejecting a stream of charged particles, arcing* around the space. As a piece of ad-hoc commercial art, it is certainly weird and impressive, though not unique in the period! :)

*The antenna on Eurydice's head may stimulate this all-encompassing, sexual-electric circuit, though it does not complete it.

In one sense, it is certainly a collage or chronological conceit, since the artist is evoking the fate of the slain Orpheus, whose detached, singing-head floated with his lyre to Lesbos.

Last edited: