Random/Peculiar Images

Frideswide

Princess (PeteByrdie Certificated)
Did I not possibly watch a documentary, few years back, about someone who was instrumental in those, nascent, contemporary conclusions about fossils being unearthed in England.

Was he not also prominently religious and this all changed his faith, so much... it sent him into a consequential depression...
Are you thinking of Vice-Admiral Robert Fitzroy? He was Darwin's Captain on the Beagle. And I /think/ he is the chap of the Shipping Forecast area....

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Are you thinking of Vice-Admiral Robert Fitzroy? He was Darwin's Captain on the Beagle. And I /think/ he is the chap of the Shipping Forecast area....
He also invented the modern 'weather forecast'. Although public mockery of the idea was one factor in his suicide.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
You have absolutely got to be kidding...
View attachment 12871
That is a photo of a croc named Krys - aka "The Savannah King". The beast was killed with a single shot in 1957 or 1958 (accounts vary) in Queensland.

Krys is not listed among the largest recorded crocodiles because nothing was reasonably recorded. There was no official measurement, and physical evidence and original photos obtained in the 1950's were lost in a flood in the 1970's.

As a result, Krys represents a very famous but officially disputed crocodile kill.

The surviving photo you posted is itself a source of cynical suspicion because it's obviously exploiting forced perspective to make the croc carcass look larger relative to the humans in the picture.

For example, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltwater_crocodile#cite_note-163
https://ourplnt.com/worlds-5-largest-crocodiles-ever-recorded/

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Kids and crocodiles... eh...
I'm not convinced this croc has visited a taxidermist...
Context is everything, and one should consider the different timeframes reflected in the photos you've posted.

The earliest ones are Victorian-era photo cards - custom images, photographed in a studio, and often surreal by design.

The last two you posted appear to be 20th century press or publicity photos illustrating 'live action' in a 'real world' setting. The penultimate one I'd estimate to be from the 1930's, or maybe the 1920's. The most recent one is older, and might date back to the first decade of the 20th century.

Comfortably Numb

Numbingly Comfortable
Simply another glorious old Random,/Peculiar vintage photo, which was highlighted on an *entirely unrelated* Google search, (disturbing about how much a computer now, 'knows you')?

It's attributed as, 'Halloween' (no further info) - anyone familiar with this snapshot in time?

Unless it can be evidenced otherwise, I wonder if this perhaps, 'First Day at School in Cromer'...

20181113_31659139.jpg

Bad Bungle

Devoted Cultist
Simply another glorious old Random,/Peculiar vintage photo, which was highlighted on an *entirely unrelated* Google search, (disturbing about how much a computer now, 'knows you')?

It's attributed as, 'Halloween' (no further info) - anyone familiar with this snapshot in time?

Unless it can be evidenced otherwise, I wonder if this perhaps, 'First Day at School in Cromer'...

View attachment 12946
I assume you've got 'Haunted Air' by Ossian Brown (A Collection of Anonymous Hallowe'en Photographs America c 1875-1955). This picture isn't in it but the book would make a luvvely Xmas present.