Random/Peculiar Images

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
On the way back from the gym yesterday morning I saw some weird contraption type thing attached to the post of the pedestrian crossing, some sort of detector I guess... quite large box held shut with two sturdy padlocks, attached around the post with heavy (canvas) straps that fastened down with to more padlocks, pole going up from it to above the lights with some sort of doohickey on top.

Everyone loved a good weird infrastructure object, unfortunately I didn't have my phone on me at the time.

Popped down about half an hour ago to get a picture... b*stard thing has gone!

Vardoger

Bring the Beat Back!
With my sceptical trousers on, that looks more like crocodile or alligator, only the language looks a bit Russian & as far as I know, there are none in Russia. It's not Atlantic Herring though let's face it. Chernobyl Herring maybe..
Tigerfish has been mentioned on FunnyJunk. Goliath tiger fish?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
On the way back from the gym yesterday morning I saw some weird contraption type thing attached to the post of the pedestrian crossing, some sort of detector I guess... quite large box held shut with two sturdy padlocks, attached around the post with heavy (canvas) straps that fastened down with to more padlocks, pole going up from it to above the lights with some sort of doohickey on top. ...
There was a recent news item (I don't recall the country / region) about an automated system for identifying people crossing against the pedestrian signals. In that case the system was installed and serving as the basis for handing out jaywalking citations.

Perhaps the temporarily positioned contraption was a detection instrument being used to collect data on similar pedestrian misbehaviors / violations.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
OneWingedBird.

Ahhh, but how do we know it was there in the first place ? In fact, are you sure yourself ?

I mean, it wasn't there when you returned.

And this is a Fortean site.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
There was a recent news item (I don't recall the country / region) about an automated system for identifying people crossing against the pedestrian signals. In that case the system was installed and serving as the basis for handing out jaywalking citations.

Perhaps the temporarily positioned contraption was a detection instrument being used to collect data on similar pedestrian misbehaviors / violations.
We don't really have those laws over here.

Yet.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Yes, I know, but ...

The mystery device OWB encountered might be a clue to data collection underway (e.g., to assess how much jaywalking there is out there to be criminalized).

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
We had one of those boxes attached to a lamp post outside work a while ago - as it's a secure location it triggered a mild panic....

Turned-out to be a box to monitor traffic levels, but the council hadn't let us know they were installing it.
I'd rather hoped it might be to detect buggers running the red lights at the crossing which they do quite regularly.

GerdaWordyer

Abominable Snowman
A cynic says that a competition is just free publicity, ensuring the complicity of local media. The name has been decided already and cunning twerps will submit the most obvious names.

Then they are saddled with free membership as a prize! :party: :win: :sherlock::doh:
Off topic. I didn't know Twerp was a term used in the UK. Icky Twerp was a beloved kid's show host here in the early 60's era of local kid show hosts.

Attachments

EnolaGaia

Staff member

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Thanks for clearing that up gents, I was hoping to do the same through the link I posted (that didn't work) so much appreciated.