Random Stuff From Your Neck O' The Woods

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Went to London Zoo the other day. Hadn't been there in years. I was surprised that in the lemur enclosure, the lemurs are actually in it with you, just above your head, & not behind bars. In hot weather they get given ice lollies by the keepers.
Lemurs are pretty friendly. Even in the wild, they will be curious and approach people.

Went to London Zoo the other day. Hadn't been there in years. I was surprised that in the lemur enclosure, the lemurs are actually in it with you, just above your head, & not behind bars. In hot weather they get given ice lollies by the keepers.
I bet you stole the ice lollies off them.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I have a good London Zoo story.

We often went up to London to see the attractions as kids as my father worked on the railway and train travel was free for us. Although I don't remember anything else of the trip, it still sticks in my mind that they had a baby elephant at the zoo and I signed up to 'weigh' him or her. This involved a giant set of scales with the (surprisingly placid) elephant standing on one side and children being added one by one to the other. I'm sure it spoils the story, but I can't remember how many kids it weighed.

Anyway, fast-forward several years to school when we were asked to gather any and all certificates of noteworthy achievement to include in some kind of C.V. folder for the future (never used, of course). For some reason, I was feeling poorly and went to bed early, so my dad gathered up all my paperwork (he's super organised) and put it into the clear-page folder we had been issued. I was well enough to go to school the next day, but didn't actually check my folder and just handed it to the teacher (it was some kind of 'personal development' period that was despised by all). Anyway, the teacher began flicking through it while I sat down, but I was promptly summoned back to his desk. The open folder was swiveled around to display a pink and white certificate with a cartoon animal at the top and the words (in some kind of bubble font): 'I weighed an elephant at London Zoo, 1984!'

Slightly embarrassing.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I have a good London Zoo story.

We often went up to London to see the attractions as kids as my father worked on the railway and train travel was free for us. Although I don't remember anything else of the trip, it still sticks in my mind that they had a baby elephant and I signed up to weigh him or her. This involved a giant set of scales with the (surprisingly placid) elephant standing on one side and children being added one by one to the other. I'm sure it spoils the story, but I can't remember how many kids it weighed.

Anyway, fast-forward several years to school when we were asked to gather any or all certificates of noteworthy achievement to include in some kind of C.V. folder for the future (never used, of course). For some reason, I was feeling poorly and went to bed early, so my dad gathered up all my paperwork (he's super organised) and put it into the clear-page folder we had been issued. I was well enough to go to school the next day, but didn't actually check my folder and just handed it to the teacher (it was some kind of 'personal development' period that was despised by all). Anyway, the teacher began flicking through while I sat down, but I was promptly summoned back to his desk. The open folder was swiveled around to display a pink and white certificate with a cartoon animal at the top and the words (in some kind of bubble font): and the words 'I weighed an elephant at London Zoo 1984!'

Slightly embarrassing.
My Sister's a primary school teacher so sometimes sends me daft certificates meant for kids, the last one was for being a big brave boy and doing the right thing after I came out of hospital. We've still got it up in one our kitchen cupboards :)

I'm not sure how this can be legal but a 59 year old woman stall owner has been banned from singing at car boot sales in our area .. mental .. the Mrs remembers her (I don't), she says "she was a bit annoying." o_O

http://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/n...olk-songs-at-norfolk-car-boot-sales-1-5601623

Well, if other people are annoyed by her singing and the organisers of the sales decide to ban her from singing then I can't see how it could be illegal. People go to these sales to browse and buy stuff not for musical entertainment. It can be frustrating to hear a limited repertoire being played over and over again and I can imagine it's hell for other stallholders.

If it really was only one person who was annoyed the surely all of the other stallholders would let the organisers know that they support her.

Swifty

Well, if other people are annoyed by her singing and the organisers of the sales decide to ban her from singing then I can't see how it could be illegal. People go to these sales to browse and buy stuff not for musical entertainment. It can be frustrating to hear a limited repertoire being played over and over again and I can imagine it's hell for other stallholders.

If it really was only one person who was annoyed the surely all of the other stallholders would let the organisers know that they support her.
Apparently she was playing on the wall outside Cromer church today I've just been told. I reckon there's more to this story than just music objections.

I spotted these alarming plastic children adorning the window display of a popular high street Chemists: a tribute to 'Village of the Damned' or 'The Autons'...or perhaps both? :eek:

The poster actually reads, in full, 'feel fearless' - summat to do with some skincare product.

midwich2_FTMB.png

Very 1970's / hauntological, apart from the skinny trousers (highly impractical for running and climbing and playing, surely?) As you can see, the one in the middle has malfunctioned.

Last edited:
For some reason they seem to have diversified into selling kiddies' clobber - a natural next step from nappies and sun hats for babies, I suppose. I think they're the descendants of those crudely painted boys and girls with guide dogs or legs in braces that we used to see outside shops in the UK in the good old days of Polio and the like.

Last edited:

Swifty

I'm not sure how this can be legal but a 59 year old woman stall owner has been banned from singing at car boot sales in our area .. mental .. the Mrs remembers her (I don't), she says "she was a bit annoying." o_O

http://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/n...olk-songs-at-norfolk-car-boot-sales-1-5601623

.. and our rebel granny has herself her own poster this morning :)

(I've been collecting unusual EDP posters, our local shops saves me any that I ask for, the last one reads 'GIANT BIRD LOOSE IN NORTH NORFOLK' which if I'm being cruel is essentially the same story here)

acromerwoman.jpg

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
The ones sitting down appear to have an aggressive body language. Interesting.
The sitting mannequins have one-piece arms (as opposed to the detachable wrist / hand end pieces on the standing one). Such one-piece arms make it more difficult to dress a mannequin's upper torso (e.g., with the shirts in the photo), so the hands are commonly configured to avoid snags and hang-ups.

Swifty

Holy shit, that's the funniest thing I've seen in a while. Yeah, I should get out more, but now I wonder if drugs were more powerful 55 years ago.
Never underestimate the true power of the original US surf movement .. and yes, the drugs were.

.. only ThE cRaMPs were worthy to do a later cover version

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Over the border in Shenzhen, I saw this impeccably tasteful public sculpture. Note square dancing grannies and hire bike in background.

Also in ShenZhen, this poor old camel giving photos ops at the 'Window Of The World' miniature world theme park.

"You say potato, and nobody says potarto…"
That's what I'd've thought, but who am I to argue wit da Goishwins? According to internet transcriptions of the lyric it's 'potahto'. Which no one says either.

"I'll take oysters and give up the ersters".