Random Stuff From Your Neck O' The Woods

titch

Justified & Ancient
I read today they're hoping to be in by christmas. Didn't say which year though. It's gone up pretty bloody quick don't you think?
It's gone up really quickly, some of the machines being used where jaw dropping, any body who says even now we couldn't build the pyramids should have seen them in action.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
The BBC are filming some Christmas themed drama scenes on our pier and surrounding area today .. someone reckons it's something to do with Dr Who .. either way, the pier's being set dressed as a Christmas fair at the moment .. loads of panavision trucks about and some filming in one of the arcades by the looks of things ..

https://enjoycromermore.co.uk/news/christmas-production-draws-bbc-film-crew-to-cromer-1-5719040

afair01.jpg
afair02.jpg
afair03.jpg
afair04.jpg
afair05.jpg
afair06.jpg

Local shops are being asked to chuck some Christmas decs in their windows .. if you can be arsed to get there, it's £80 a day to be an extra today and tomorrow, 2pm to 12 .. they're filming tonight and the lights are being rigged up at the moment ..

Last edited:

Swifty

Chance for you to make a bit of dosh before starting a new job?
I was already on it a couple or so months ago with the casting director but thanks for the encouragement .. I might be able to do something tomorrow for it.

edit: For want of anything better to do today, I've just been down and covertly filmed some stuff being filmed, what with the kid being propped up by poles and holding a prop bag of chips that have been glued together to suggest they're spilling out of the packet in a freeze frame type pose, two stuffed seagulls hanging above him in a ready to swoop pose and another kid actor leaning and pinching a chip in real time, I expect they're going for some sort of Guy Ritchie Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels type camera trickery.

Someone we know told me the filming's for an Allan Partridge Christmas Special, the Mrs says no it isn't .. her boss is also a serving BBC cameraman, he says its just one of those short films the BBC do to promote themselves. I'll pop back down later to watch all the other extras standing motionless with cameras zipping around them no doubt.

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
You have to laugh.

As of today, the current president of South Korea is Moon Jae-in. I quite like the chap, but what follows gives me pause:

His predecessor, Park Geun-hye is serving twenty-four years in prison for corruption, having been impeached and prematurely removed from office.

Her predecessor, Lee Myung-ban, has today be sentenced to fifteen years from bribery, embezzlement and abuse of power while in office.

His predecessor, Roh, Moo-hyun, is dead, having committed suicide by throwing himself off a mountain in the midst of a bribery scandal that saw members of his personal staff and family arrested.

His predecessor, Kim Dae-jung, won the Nobel Peace Prize and was generally deemed a good egg.

His predecessor, Kim Young-sam, somehow managed to keep his hand out of the cash register (his son, unfortunately, didn't) and even went on to have both of his predecessors arrested and indicted on charges of corruption and treason (military coups)--alas he later decided to pardon them before leaving office.

Thus ends the first lecture in Korean politics. I trust the general picture has been vivid.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
My dad had to phone sky useing his mobile phone to find out if there was a fult with the line it turned that The Internet and the phone lines were down.they went down at yesterday at 7 in the evening and and come back at 6 today this evening and it effected all of London.
I knew the net went down at 7 because I was on line at and my mum just got home.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Looks good, Japanese? I haven't had good sushi in aeons.
Yes.

We didn't intend to have sushi, but my daughter was absolutely insistent that she wanted fish, rice and noodles and so we went there and she had that while we had sushi.

Oddly, some of the cheap, non-fish stuff was unusually good: fried aubergine with pickled onion, seared scallops and takoyaki were pleasant additions to the salmon, tuna etc.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I was having a walk in my area, wandering with no particular direction in mind, when blow me down but I saw this enormous walled village.

Old buildings in general are a bit of a rarity here, and while some walled villages still exist, far more have been destroyed to make way for the kind of tall buildings you see behind. I had no clue this one was here.

Later, I walked up the hill and found a pool in a mountain stream full of big newts or salamanders. There must have been at least ten of them.

James_H

Is that part of 'the old city'?
There's a big old slum area of Hong Kong that is walled off for some reason.

Edit: Kowloon Walled City. They demolished it!
Yep, I used to live near the park they turned it into after knocking it down. It used to be a fascinating area – for some reason there was a loophole that made it exempt from the law. So it was a hive of prostitution, gangsters, unregulated dentistry and ... fishball factories. With only two wells for water.

The walled villages actually predate 'Hong Kong', the British colony, and belong to clans indigenous to the area (punti people – most Hong Kongers are the descendants of immigrants from Guangzhou [aka 'Canton'], and brought the Cantonese language with them). They are mainly in the new territories, with none on Hong Kong island.

This particular example is called Tsang Tai Uk - The Tsang's Big House, after the Tsang clan who presumably own it.

The area I live in was once rife with them, but that mainly lives on in the place names. It seems like if you go a bit further north there are dozens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walled_villages_of_Hong_Kong

gattino

Justified & Ancient
Probably posted elsewhere here or on the forums but here are the crowds out in Liverpool yesterday to see the Giants (again...3rd time they've been here in 6 years), Gigantic marionettes.

I myself have just joined the rest of the city at the Nuremberg Scallies to catch a momentary glimpse of a wooden idol being paraded through the streets. It was like being in the Wicker Man. If I could find a door I'd have gotten my tits out and writhed rythmically against it.

James_H

Probably posted elsewhere here or on the forums but here are the crowds out in Liverpool yesterday to see the Giants (again...3rd time they've been here in 6 years), Gigantic marionettes.

I myself have just joined the rest of the city at the Nuremberg Scallies to catch a momentary glimpse of a wooden idol being paraded through the streets. It was like being in the Wicker Man. If I could find a door I'd have gotten my tits out and writhed rythmically against it.
Wow, I've only been to Liverpool once and I can't remember it, but it looks like Barcelona or something in that picture. What's that amazing building in the background?

Swifty

The 1980s just rang. They want their joke back.
It's the seventh day, God's just finished making Earth and takes Jesus for a fly over it ..

God puts his fingers through the clouds and says "Jesus my son, this is my new ocean which I have called The Pacific." .. "That's great dad, how can you tell?" .."Because I can feel the water trickling through my fingers."

God puts his fingers through the clouds again and says "Jesus my son, this my new range of mountains that I have called The Andes." .."Great dad but how can you tell?" .. "Because I can feel the mountain tops brushing against my fingers."

God again puts his fingers through the clouds and says "Jesus my son, this is a new city I've made called Liverpool." .. "Amazing dad but how can you tell?" .."Because some bastard's just stolen my watch."

gattino

Justified & Ancient
Just saw some more online photos of the crowds at the puppet thing..its quite extraordinary seeing what a crowd looks like from the outside as you have no concept of its scale from within it. It was just "very busy" but it really does look like mourners at the funeral of some deified leader.

The second picture was taken the next day so presumably a largely different throng of humanity.Includingme, near the traffic lights in the middle. If you can spot me you can claim your fiver.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I wanted to go but was working, grrr. A friend works in a building where the giants walked by and videoed its face moving past the office windows!