Random Stuff From Your Neck O' The Woods

Peripart

Antediluvian
They're the electric reclining/leg-elevating armchairs: dangerously comfortable for late-night screenings.
They've got those at Star City (Birmingham) and they're very nice, although this so-called "Gold Class" seating costs rather more than the standard screens. Well worth it for the right film - you can even rest your alcoholic drink in the built-in cup holders!

hunck

Justified & Ancient
They're the electric reclining/leg-elevating armchairs: dangerously comfortable for late-night screenings.
Those electric recliners featured in Strange Deaths a while back when a man got his head stuck under the footrest when looking for the mobile phone he'd dropped, so be warned - they're a death trap.

There's one Odeon which always features in the pre-film ads round my way, where you can order & eat a 'luxury meal prepared by top chefs' whilst watching the film. I've never been tempted to try it. Eating a 'luxury meal' in the dark whilst paying attention to a film doesn't sound a good idea.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
From my neck of the woods about 3 years ago .. nothing surprises me in Cromer anymore, fucking John and Norma Major strolled past us one evening with security!. Here's an Indian dance scene from a movie called House Full 3 from about 4 years ago on our pier. Here's them all dancing about ..

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
From our local rag The Western Gazette:

"Warehouse workers received a shock when they recently opened a package with some unexpected contents. Staff at a warehouse in Wellington received what they thought was an ordinary delivery of place mats on Wednesday, October 24.

But when the crew opened the shipment container, they spotted a Gray's Chinese gecko crawling around inside.

The concerned workers contacted RSPCA which is now looking after the lizard."

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/lizard-travels-10000-miles-ends-2193336

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Now here's a thing: the other week I came down to brekkie as per and when I opened the fridge I noticed a scatter of what turned out to be small stones on the floor in front of the freezer. I did the sensible thing and checked the dog (well, you never know), the ceiling, the walls and so on...nothing to explain or suggest said stones. Mrs Coal similarly baffled.

Here they are:

Attachments

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I've just woken up in the mountains near Yeoncheon, about ten minutes by road from the DMZ (fortified border with North Korea). By a fluke of poor timing, last night was unexpectedly cold (sort of under canvas), but I slept like a bear. I swear it was autumn yesterday afternoon and winter when I woke this morning.

It's pleasantly bleak:

SmartSelect_20181118-113653_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20181118-113810_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Now here's a thing: the other week I came down to brekkie as per and when I opened the fridge I noticed a scatter of what turned out to be small stones on the floor in front of the freezer. I did the sensible thing and checked the dog (well, you never know), the ceiling, the walls and so on...nothing to explain or suggest said stones. Mrs Coal similarly baffled.

Here they are:
Underneath our fridge door collects a heck of a lot of debris, out of sight. Could this have been building up for a while and then something unknown disturbed it? I must admit that in our house this wouldn't be stones but bits of old food.
Or have you been given some allotment vegetables recently?

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Underneath our fridge door collects a heck of a lot of debris, out of sight. Could this have been building up for a while and then something unknown disturbed it? I must admit that in our house this wouldn't be stones but bits of old food.
Or have you been given some allotment vegetables recently?
Nice thought, but no, I didn't even grow any myself this year.
I have known ants, weevils or woodlice throw up such grains when they burrow under a skirting-board. Under a fridge, however . . . ? :dunno:
My first thought was to look under the fridge and freezer, but nothing was forthcoming. My instinct was that it was a pile of debris disturbed/collected by one of the small furry folk that tend to slip into the house in the autumn, but I've found nothing to link this to that.

Swifty

Some nob's killed the crossing sign in Morrisons car park in Cromer today

asomenobo1.jpg

.. and some other nob's set off the fire alarm with a microwave at the local infant school .. it's been a busy morning in Cromer .. aka normal

asomenob02.jpg

asomenob03.jpg

The kids were obviously all evacuated anyway seeing as this is 2018 and everything .. I understand the parents are gutted and the teachers are thrilled.

Some nob's killed the crossing sign in Morrisons car park in Cromer today

View attachment 13201

.. and some other nob's set off the fire alarm with a microwave at the local infant school .. it's been a busy morning in Cromer .. aka normal

View attachment 13202

View attachment 13203

The kids were obviously all evacuated anyway seeing as this is 2018 and everything .. I understand the parents are gutted and the teachers are thrilled.
I see the council have sent a nob to lean against the pole to keep it upright.

Swifty

I see the council have sent a nob to lean against the pole to keep it upright.
They certainly have matey .. I was meant to be pulling an 'AAGGH THIS POLE'S JUST LANDED ON ME!' face but we didn't have time because that corner of the car park suddenly turned into The Truman Show.

Swifty

This years tree almost on Cromer pier .. everyone got excited after the BBC put the massive tree on the pier so the council listened and this pic was posted by my mate Andreas about ten minutes ago :cool:

us lot tonight:

acrimbopier.jpg

.. and the BBC a couple of months ago .. they're richer than us ..

acromeradvert.jpg

Last edited:

James_H

And I like to roam the land
We had a very interesting day yesterday, taking a hike that was much less like a walk in the park and more like actually climbing a mountain than expected. It was actually quite scary in parts but very beautiful, the main plants near the top being wild rhododendrons, camellias and pampas grass. There were butterflies everywhere and the views were terrific. 27e0632a-449c-4196-a6d2-17f9cee2b64a.jpeg Hello!

The park at the foot of the mountain had some weird metal sculptures of animals for kids to play on, most memorably this snake:
7e5d3876-31b8-4758-9a75-16e627a09376.jpeg

Before that, by the side of the road up, this kitten in a teacup, because why not, that's why:

9407bd37-8a2c-46af-8ac6-2ed514cd2457.jpeg
And before that, and least explicably of all, on a remote road way out in the jungle, this christmas tree business:

ea4d20c7-846e-46f7-ba7e-8d8f0e05ad83.jpeg

And this morning, walking back from the dentist, I see this family just hanging out, eating garbage at a local housing estate.
ca65f6fe-0ca9-47a9-9a58-0f3ae3f63751.jpeg

We had a very interesting day yesterday, taking a hike that was much less like a walk in the park and more like actually climbing a mountain than expected. It was actually quite scary in parts but very beautiful, the main plants near the top being wild rhododendrons, camellias and pampas grass. There were butterflies everywhere and the views were terrific. View attachment 13243 Hello!

The park at the foot of the mountain had some weird metal sculptures of animals for kids to play on, most memorably this snake:
View attachment 13244

Before that, by the side of the road up, this kitten in a teacup, because why not, that's why:

View attachment 13245
And before that, and least explicably of all, on a remote road way out in the jungle, this christmas tree business:

View attachment 13246

And this morning, walking back from the dentist, I see this family just hanging out, eating garbage at a local housing estate.
View attachment 13242
This is in Hong Kong?

Swifty

The Cromer BBC ident advert is going to be screened before Strictly Come Dancing tomorrow night apparently .. or more likely 1st December seeing as that's what's written on this release teaser thingy.

acromerpeiragain.jpg

Swifty

*sets alarm clock*
Hopefully the advert will end up online somewhere, ironically the real Cromer Christmas lights switch on is tomorrow at the same time the advert's being broadcast so I won't be able to watch the first broadcast. I watched a few scenes being filmed at the time and recorded those on my camcorder, I was supposed to be in it but I had to be an adult and go back to my real job instead.

Swifty

We've just walked into town, past the church and I saw a bloke dressed in full WW1 front line British army gear (and I'm talking large budget movie costume accurate) sit on a bench next to a bloke who looked like he was waiting for his dealer to turn up. I begged the Mrs to let me take a picture with them but she's more sensible than me unfortunately. My best guess is that he's connected to the town museum next to the church, I've already seen one actor dressed the same way talking to out of town school visit kids.