• Hello everyone, we will rebooting the web server on Sunday February 17th 2019 at 1800 (6pm) GMT / 1300 (1pm) EST to apply some server updates.

We will also be applying some updates to the forums software.

This will result in approximately 30 minutes of downtime

Random Stuff From Your Neck O' The Woods

hunck

Justified & Ancient
We've just walked into town, past the church and I saw a bloke dressed in full WW1 front line British army gear (and I'm talking large budget movie costume accurate) sit on a bench next to a bloke who looked like he was waiting for his dealer to turn up. I begged the Mrs to let me take a picture with them but she's more sensible than me unfortunately. My best guess is that he's connected to the town museum next to the church, I've already seen one actor dressed the same way talking to out of town school visit kids.
Come on man, it's a clear time slip.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Come on man, it's a clear time slip.
I would have been able to show you a picture .. but OH NO! .. because "it's embarrassing" *grumble grumble*

She took this picture of me with a woman dressed as a nun once, I mean, it's not like she's my paid secretary or something, I get that, but what's the difference? .. this is just as embarrassing and no, I haven't got a withered right arm .. it's one of those in camera defect type things.

anun.jpg

Last edited:
I would have been able to show you a picture .. but OH NO! .. because "it's embarrassing" *grumble grumble*

She took this picture of me with a woman dressed as a nun once, I mean, it's not like she's my paid secretary or something, I get that, but what's the difference? .. this is just as embarrassing and no, I haven't got a withered right arm .. it's one of those in camera defect type things.

View attachment 13458

View attachment 13458
Nun: In the Power of Christ I compel thee: Begone!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Yep. I live in the future.

The whole city has an underground grid of pressurised hot water. I think it's heated using surplus energy from the power station. Almost all homes (including massive multi-storey aparment blocks) have underfloor heating that relies on steam and water.

It can get very cold here in the winter, but we never suffer. It's the summer that can near unbearable.

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Yep. I live in the future.

The whole city has an underground grid of pressurised hot water. I think it's heated using surplus energy from the powerstation. Almost all homes (including massive multi-storey aparmen blocks) have underfloor heating that relies on steam and water.

It can get very cold here in the winter, but we never suffer. It's the summer that can near unbearable.
Surely Jack Hawkins could put up with a little heat?! He fought in the war!!!

I've spent a fair bit of time in SE Asia - Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia - doing a lot of cycling, and used to say until my last trip there that it could never be too hot for cycling. There was one day in Thailand where it was high 30s with 100% or near as humidity. I was cycling to a waterfall, just as well, and took my shirt off for the last few minutes, burning nicely. But boy, was it warm!?!?! Off the bike, into the water, equilibrium achieved.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Surely Jack Hawkins could put up with a little heat?! He fought in the war!!!

I've spent a fair bit of time in SE Asia - Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia - doing a lot of cycling, and used to say until my last trip there that it could never be too hot for cycling. There was one day in Thailand where it was high 30s with 100% or near as humidity. I was cycling to a waterfall, just as well, and took my shirt off for the last few minutes, burning nicely. But boy, was it warm!?!?! Off the bike, into the water, equilibrium achieved.
Last summer we had eighten consecutive days of over 43°C+. With the humidiy it was far worse than the 45°C I walked through in the Sinai.

I can hack a lot, but it does start to p*** you off!

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Yep, 43°C+ with humidity would be, er, warm!

I remember a 130km/4hr bike ride (a decent pace) in Malaysia where, when you were riding it was fine, but when you stopped at traffic lights etc, the sweat came out like a waterfall. I drank about 7 litres of water and energy drinks and no pee breaks. It literally all sweated out!

That said, I also had three consecutive days riding - 250km - into a headwind in QLD, Australia. You find yourself swearing at the wind, like that's going to help!!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
-3°C daytime, -13°C tonight--so we called up my sister-in-law and her family and went out!

She knew a new-ish bar/pub that sells a lot of beer and serves spit-roast chicken that is continuously rotating outside. I don't eat chicken, but the shrimp I had (with chips) was in KFC-style batter and I could happily go on eating it until I couldn't move.

There was a good wind blowing quite apart from the cold, so the place wasn't at all busy, but there was a party of besuited lawyers on an after-work drink and an unexpected group of sorta-rockabilllies at the next table who entertained me a good bit.

Fun place, great food--decent beer (I had Alley Cat, a U.S. Ale)--will visit again.

20181208_205009.jpg 20181208_220421.jpg 20181208_220633.jpg 20181208_220654.jpg 20181208_220706.jpg 20181208_220944.jpg

Swifty

The making of Cromer's slightly depressing Christmas advert:

Now I think about it, it's probably a good thing they screwed up getting local extras for this:

P.A.: " We need you all to stop shaking so much, you're supposed to be in pause?"
locals: "OK, but what time does the bar open?"

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I love being above the city. I'd love to do a helicopter tour of the place.
I don't know, I love going up mountains but it would just never occur to me to go up a skyscraper. I've given it a miss in Taipei and NYC, not to mention the Shard. I think now it would!

Swifty

One of the Mrs's friends has just served here in Cromer today here today, gone tomorrow popstar Jessie J and Channing Tatum if that impresses anyone reading this .. I think they're famous if you're 14 years old or something? .. apparently he's an American actor.

edit: she's just shown me a photo of him. he also came into our shop today and asked me to throw some inconsequential bit of plastic crap into our bin so we did.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Channing Tatum seems like a good guy. And now we know Jessie J is still alive, so thanks.

Swifty

Channing Tatum seems like a good guy. And now we know Jessie J is still alive, so thanks.
Don't thank me. Thank oxygen and food.

(The Mrs has just asked to remind you it's Christmas so to stop being sarcastic and Merry Christmas)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Don't thank me. Thank oxygen and food.

(The Mrs has just asked to remind you it's Christmas so to stop being sarcastic and Merry Christmas)
I'm not being sarcastic, I just have a sarcastic tone of voice.