Random Stuff From Your Neck O' The Woods

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
Don't get too close.
Nope, especially as if you squint you can see a well-camouflaged juvenile in the background of the picture. A few minutes later we were startled by a couple of other juveniles running out of the bushes right at us! Luckily they swerved.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A look at the devastation caused by the recent bushfires in Morton National Park. It's still burning in areas, though as of Sunday night, it is now considered to be officially 'contained' and 'under control'.
The National Park is the largest in New South Wales and it's estimated that one third has been burnt out.
Parts of what you see in this video (not mine) are on my doorstep with the entrance to the park only 800 meters from my home.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
A look at the devastation caused by the recent bushfires in Morton National Park. It's still burning in areas, though as of Sunday night, it is now considered to be officially 'contained' and 'under control'.
The National Park is the largest in New South Wales and it's estimated that one third has been burnt out.
Parts of what you see in this video (not mine) are on my doorstep with the entrance to the park only 800 meters from my home.
Just put your cigarette out properly like a normal person in future LL.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just put your cigarette out properly like a normal person in future LL.
During these fires, one way many people kept up to date with what was going on was to listen to the RFS on an app called Scanner Radio. Just this past weekend, when the temperature hit 40 c and over, we were listening in as we still has active fire close to us when they were called to a new spot fire thought to have been started by a cigarette thrown from a car. Some people just don't learn. Oh, and I gave up 25 years ago.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
I took a hike from my village yesterday that I've long been meaning to. It wasn't a walk in the park as it took about 5 hours and was pretty steep but it was worth it. Here's the view of Shenzhen from up on hill, from Shenzhen bay in the west to Starling Inlet in the east. It gives some idea of the sheer size of the city (bigger than London) - however it goes on for miles to the north, with the view blocked by mountains.

I took 21 photos with my camera which I put together using the brilliant AutoStitch tool

Full size

Last edited:

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score

Swifty

Reaction score
Worse than that. A HUNDRED times worse.
Shit .. Jaegermeister?

I tried to fill a 2 litre pop bottle with petrol once at a petrol station near Glastonbury but miscalculated the pressure of the pump and ended up walking in to pay the shocked attendant soaked in petrol, I was tripping at the time. The only time I had petrol breath was when we'd syphon cars with a hosepipe ..

You've got to tell us now

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Shit .. Jaegermeister?

I tried to fill a 2 litre pop bottle with petrol once at a petrol station near Glastonbury but miscalculated the pressure of the pump and ended up walking in to pay the shocked attendant soaked in petrol, I was tripping at the time. The only time I had petrol breath was when we'd syphon cars with a hosepipe ..

You've got to tell us now
Thought you'd never ask.

Lived in a remote cottage with only motorbikes for transport. Brought home the shopping one day in a rucksack, failed to notice until next day that the small bottle of paraffin had leaked slightly. Just enough to permeate the bread.

So on the morning of the funeral we all had poached eggs on toast for breakfast and then set off to Colwyn Bay Crematorium. I was slightly travel sick and my breakfast constantly repeated on me. It was as if I was standing over a Hindu funeral pyre. A horrible experience.

Swifty

Reaction score
Thought you'd never ask.

Lived in a remote cottage with only motorbikes for transport. Brought home the shopping one day in a rucksack, failed to notice until next day that the small bottle of paraffin had leaked slightly. Just enough to permeate the bread.

So on the morning of the funeral we all had poached eggs on toast for breakfast and then set off to Colwyn Bay Crematorium. I was slightly travel sick and my breakfast constantly repeated on me. It was as if I was standing over a Hindu funeral pyre. A horrible experience.
Grim .. at least none of you puked in the grave I suppose .. because you know the inevitable chain reaction that would have happened then ..

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Grim .. at least none of you puked in the grave I suppose .. because you know the inevitable chain reaction that would have happened then ..
We all played golf on the Great Orme afterwards. By some miracle I won. Wearing a platform sandals, a shiny black blouse and a full-length Black Watch tartan skirt.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
We all played golf on the Great Orme afterwards. By some miracle I won. Wearing a platform sandals, a shiny black blouse and a full-length Black Watch tartan skirt.
And you've been playing golf dressed like that ever since...