Random Stuff From Your Neck O' The Woods

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I though I had shared this a while back, but I guess I didn't.

A few years ago, the community I live - like many others in the area - in decided to put up some banners in the more traveled parts of town to show off some local pride.

Friendly Village.jpg

Unfortunately, the font they chose for the motto "The Friendly Village" is very close to one used by another friendly village in a 1967 Patrick McGoohan TV series.

The banners have various images of past and present scenes of Mineola. One of them has an image of the county seat government building which has a dome painted white so colored lights can be projected on it - but the dome once had a tarnished golden color that was almost green.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Something slightly odd in my local area that I'd not really noticed until it was recently pointed out to me. Built into a small block of flats/apartments (which themselves date, I should think, from the 1960s or thereabouts), is a stone with a quite surprising inscription:

IMG_20200619_121605.jpg

I especially like the line "Happily he was an Amiable YOUTH" - I assume that this is some older meaning of amiable, suggesting goodness in general, rather than mere friendliness!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
.. I assume that this is some older meaning of amiable, suggesting goodness in general, rather than mere friendliness!
Yes - that's it exactly ...

amiable:

late Middle English (originally in the senses ‘kind’, and ‘lovely, lovable’): via Old French from late Latin amicabilis ‘amicable’. The current sense, influenced by modern French aimable ‘trying to please’, dates from the mid 18th century.
https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/amiable

Obsolete. lovable or lovely.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/amiable

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Meet East Anglian curio collector Viktor Wynd. He doesn't live too far from me, we're hoping to film him and his collection after everything's back to normal ... we just haven't told him yet. I've got a feeling his London shop might have been pictured in Fortean Times magazine before ..

I mean who else has a collection which includes a mummified fairy, a lock of Elvis’s hair and the skull of drug baron Pablo Escobar’s hippo?

avictor001.jpg

https://www.norfolkmag.co.uk/unnatu...jTmXvLDR45AfHxBkVVAkq2Trq--VAZcWbWNt80pLUx1cs

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Meet East Anglian curio collector Viktor Wynd. He doesn't live too far from me, we're hoping to film him and his collection after everything's back to normal ... we just haven't told him yet. I've got a feeling his London shop might have been pictured in Fortean Times magazine before ..

I mean who else has a collection which includes a mummified fairy, a lock of Elvis’s hair and the skull of drug baron Pablo Escobar’s hippo?

View attachment 27806

https://www.norfolkmag.co.uk/unnatu...jTmXvLDR45AfHxBkVVAkq2Trq--VAZcWbWNt80pLUx1cs
Does he no longer have the London shop?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Does he no longer have the London shop?
I don't know. The linked article says he keeps some of his collection at home, I didn't read anything about him no longer having the shop. We get a lot of people commuting between London and East Anglia.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
The decrease in ridership on public transit due to the pandemic has apparently prompted our local transit authority to offer free passes for poultry. This light rail station is in the city centre, which makes the chicken's presence all the more puzzling. The next stop to the east of this station is Parliament. Perhaps this bird was on its away to attend its own Parliament of Fowls:
Chicken LRT.jpg

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
An admirably detailed article about the history of Pocari Sweat, East Asia's equivalent of Gatorade or Lucozade.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/01/business/japan-pocari-sweat-branding-hnk-intl-dst/index.html

The name put me off for a while, but when I had my inevitable first 'bug' and felt very sick, a Korean colleague dropped in with a care package that included a two-litre bottle of the stuff and it did make me feel noticeably better.
It's great stuff. I have a couple of packets in the cupboard ready to be mixed with water when needed. Great when you've got he flu, post vomiting, in need of hydration and a superb help if feeling a little seedy after a big night on the booze.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Blade Runner!
For context, the apartment buildings lit with red are fifty storeys high with a shopping mall on the ground floor and beneath.

They're the tallest in the city.

(Actually fifty storeys plus a bit as they have 'buffer zones' periodically).

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Edit: great difficulty uploading images to this post. Found a workaround, but can't see whether they are thumbnails or full-size. If the latter, I'll reduce them when home.

Coronageddon has returned, so we've scrubbed Saturday classes and taken our second two-day weekend of the year--the indulgence!

We're in Inje (Injay), courtesy of the seemingly infinite capacity of my brother-in-law to generate complimentary stays via his business contacts. The area is very rural, the expressway that links it to larger settlements being still relatively new. There are a lot of picturesque river valleys, and fishing, rafting and quad-biking draw a lot of tourists when there's not a pandemic on.

We were here bright and early, but owing to a miscommunication our walk in the woods became a four-hour mountain climb to see a birch arboretum. It was actually a happy accident because the place was stunning, plus our five-year-old did us proud by managing almost six miles, half of which was uphill, the last 30 minutes proper hiking. The arboretum itself was extremely atmospheric: hushed like a snowy night, with wooden walkways weaving through the towering trunks and beetles whirring as the pressure rose.

The only minor irritation was our having to don a mask whenever another group came along.

The return leg was punctuated with thunder and flashes as we dutifully counted down to determine that, yes, it was approaching fast.

Returning to the hotel, I haven't yet got all the details, but it's definitely located next to a racing circuit because that's all I can see from my room.

Just watching a big storm from the table with the pointless letter-writing stationery.

Here's a sample:

SmartSelect_20200822-175450_Gallery.jpg

Lots of this during the climb:
SmartSelect_20200822-202738_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20200822-175616_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20200822-180454_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20200822-175906_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20200822-180034_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20200822-180137_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20200822-180230_Gallery.jpg

Edited this one, trying to accentuate the pre-storm pink sky and accidentally deleted the original.
SmartSelect_20200822-180518_Gallery.jpg

All from the lobby:
SmartSelect_20200822-180642_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20200822-180737_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20200822-180939_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20200822-180815_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20200822-180918_Gallery.jpg

No idea, but I like it!
SmartSelect_20200822-202430_Gallery.jpg

Bedroom view:
SmartSelect_20200822-202454_Gallery.jpg

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Where does the driver sit in that orange thing? It looks a bit like Dick Dastardly's next car.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Day two was, in Miss Yith's words, "epico!"

Last night's storm drove out most of the clouds and it's been absurdly bright and clear. Plus, the low population density and Mrs Yith's tactical itinerary have meant near-deserted vistas from breakfast until tea.

Just preparing for the journey hone

SmartSelect_20200823-173628_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20200823-173719_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20200823-174101_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20200823-174202_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20200823-174250_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20200823-174336_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20200823-174643_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20200823-174751_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20200823-174823_Gallery.jpg

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Day two was, in Miss Yith's words, "epico!"

Last night's storm drove out most of the clouds and it's been absurdly bright and clear. Plus, the low population density and Mrs Yith's tactical itinerary have meant near-deserted vistas from breakfast until tea.

Just preparing for the journey hone

View attachment 29155View attachment 29156View attachment 29157View attachment 29158View attachment 29159View attachment 29160View attachment 29161View attachment 29162View attachment 29163
The top two pics look as though they could be in Switzerland or Austria. South Korea looks so picturesque. I must get myself there one day. My eldest son visited for the second time last year as he finds it a wonderful combination of everything traditional and cutting edge modern. He highly recommends it. Love the pics too!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
The top two pics look as though they could be in Switzerland or Austria. South Korea looks so picturesque. I must get myself there one day. My eldest son visited for the second time last year as he finds it a wonderful combination of everything traditional and cutting edge modern. He highly recommends it. Love the pics too!
I was last here on my birthday. We were making an effort both to avoid the masses and forget about the ongoing viral unpleasantries and turned up at the port and estuary area where the Han River joins the Yellow Sea. As you can see, we had decent weather, and we found out en route that the level of anti-contagious measures is to be lowered a notch from midnight, which means that Miss Yith can go to kindergarten tomorrow and I might have something like a regular working week.

Yet another 'major push' over the past fortnight has managed to slash the daily new case number by around 75% to around 100, which the government views as manageable (I don't know the Korean for 'critical juncture', but we've allegedly been at sevral of them this year).

So a nice day.

SmartSelect_20200913-223325_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20200913-223306_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20200913-222842_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20200913-223103_Gallery.jpg

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
중요한 시점

jung-yohan sijeom

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I don't know why this just popped into my head, but my parents in 1969 decided to visit relatives in Germany and as a young kid I had to go with them (together with brother and two sisters). Six of us in a Ford Anglia for over a 1000 miles.
Anyway, my Uncle in Braunschweig was reading his paper and saw an article about the death of a retired boxer in Chenies, Bucks, England and asked my father 'isn't that the name of your village ?". Obviously this ex-boxer was sufficiently famous to have made the German papers and I believe there was some excitement back home when his wife was arrested for doing him in. My brother remembers the case but just could not remember the name, although he was very well known. The internet is of no help at all in helping me track down the only exciting thing to have happened in my former village in centuries.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I don't know why this just popped into my head, but my parents in 1969 decided to visit relatives in Germany and as a young kid I had to go with them (together with brother and two sisters). Six of us in a Ford Anglia for over a 1000 miles.
Anyway, my Uncle in Braunschweig was reading his paper and saw an article about the death of a retired boxer in Chenies, Bucks, England and asked my father 'isn't that the name of your village ?". Obviously this ex-boxer was sufficiently famous to have made the German papers and I believe there was some excitement back home when his wife was arrested for doing him in. My brother remembers the case but just could not remember the name, although he was very well known. The internet is of no help at all in helping me track down the only exciting thing to have happened in my former village in centuries.
“LONDON, March 29 [1970] — Gene Tunney's 30‐year‐old daughter, Joan, was charged in Amersham today with the murder of her husband, Lynn Carter Wilkin son.
She is in custody and will appear before the Magistrate's Court in nearby Chesham on Tuesday.

The Amersham police said that Mr. Wilkinson's body, showing head injuries, had been found about 9 A.M. at his home at Chenies, a village near Amer sham, which is 24 miles north of London. A police officer said Mr. Wilkinson was 31 years old and that Mrs. Wilkinson had been cooperating with the po lice in their inquiries today.

Gene Tunney, who is now 72 years old, was world heavy weight boxing champion from 1926 to 1928. His daughter mar ried Mr. Wilkinson in Riverside, Calif., in March, 1961.

According to neighbors, the Wilkinsons had lived at Chenies for only a few months with their children, Alexandra, 5, and Erin, 3.

Last September Mr. Tunney announced that his daughter had been missing in Europe for more than a month and had failed to meet her husband in Hamburg as arranged.

The following month they were reunited in Marseilles fol lowing reports that she had been found wandering in the woods near that French port city.“

https://www.nytimes.com/1970/03/30/...-of-slaying-husband-is-held-by-police-in.html

;)

maximus otter

Last edited:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I've been prevaricating (I should be reloading .260 ammo for an upcoming trip to Bisley) by editing pics of my trip to Hever Castle yesterday.

The memsahib is into crafts, and saw that there was a craft fair in its grounds yesterday (Sunday 13.9.20). We had never been to Hever, and decided to rectify that omission. Here are some of my memories from that delightful place:

Stevie Wonder would be challenged to take a poor picture here

1710 armillary sphere in front of 1905 topiary of Tudor chess pieces. How much history do you want?

Better than just hanging it on a fence for the owner, eh?

Anne Boleyn's grapes. Delicious (apparently...) :reyes:

£7,000 IIRC

More approachable; less expensive

I could be seen here

Ten photo limit?

maximus otter