Random Stuff From Your Neck O' The Woods

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Went for a walk at dusk and watched the sky change by the minute. The city beyond the water is Songdo.

SmartSelect_20201017-201331_Gallery.jpg SmartSelect_20201017-201055_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20201017-201002_Gallery.jpg

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Took a few photos on my way home from seeing my mum. I tried a couple of long exposures as the tide was full. It was on a slipway into the sea, which has huge rocks forming tide breakers. In between the rocks I saw this and am unsure exactly what it is:
03_ Between rocks internet.jpg

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Arent those grand cliffs, Maximus Otter?

The ones at Aust, under the old Severn Bridge, are good, but understated.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Our local council is launching a competition...
Warwickshire County Council is seeking name suggestions from residents for their five new gritters.
The new gritters, which are low-emission models, will be helping to maintain roads across Warwickshire this winter.
The council is now seeking help from residents to give the new gritters names, which will be displayed on each of the new vehicles.

How about ‘Gary’?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Two posts already, and no-one has suggested “Gritty McGritface”?

maximus otter

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
I've been going past this building a lot over the past couple of weeks, ferrying M to and from her iGCSE sittings. I'm very much enjoying the retro-future vibes from it. Saigon is full of these imaginative takes on building with concrete, to the extent that it has become a recognised architectural vernacular.

Starbucks Dien Bien Phu.png

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Two posts already, and no-one has suggested “Gritty McGritface”?

maximus otter

Apparently the rules say suggestions should be clean and
The council have said that Gritty McGritface and True Grit are both already the names of gritters in Shropshire and Doncaster Council’s respective gritting fleets.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
They're a bit crappy.

I don't mind Grit Expectations, but it isn't really a name, is it?

Alright for primary school kids though. 'Verruca Salt' is my favourite but it's misspelled with a double 'r' so it's annoyed me every time I've seen it.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
The computers are sentient, reproducing and name themselves...

Screw Loose

Flexible Demeanour

Just Read The Instructions

Of Course I Still Love You

Limiting Factor

Cargo Cult

Little Rascal

So Much For Subtlety

Unfortunate Conflict Of Evidence

Youthful Indiscretion

Gunboat Diplomat

Zealot

Kiss My Ass

Prime Mover

Invincible

:)

skinny

aka Wuluwait, Boatman of the Dead
Reaction score
It's harvest here in SA too. I pulled some fat heads of wheat whilst seeing the moon up on Monday. Looks like a bumper year. We're finally in a La Nina climate pattern = cooler and wetter spring. 34C here today tho.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
That CHiPs bike must be an old relic from the 70s/80s!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
That CHiPs bike must be an old relic from the 70s/80s!

They had a lot that looked like imported survivors. Lots of new paint-jobs and rejigged electronics half hanging out. The other motorbike looked like the oldest one there. I would have said early-80s if I'd found it in the West, but I suspect late-80s in Korea.

The whole country went into modernisation overdrive in 1988 with the Summer Olympics.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Whilst the War Office recovers from surgery I’ve been taking the two dogs out first thing in the morning. When I’m working from home I’m taking them out at 6ish to be at my computer for 7.30ish, when travelling to London I’m out at about 04.30 to be home, showered and on a London bound train for 06.30. I’m not one for flights of fancy or getting the wind up when walking in the dark, but this morning as I walked past a large house being refurbished my attention was caught by the sound of monarflex on the heras fencing flapping in the wind. As I looked at it I saw a jogger dressed in black run past the site, which was on the opposite side of the street to me and the dogs. I thought the bloke must be a complete dick running in the dark without reflective clothing on. I turned my torch on to get a better look at the ejitt but there was no one there.
There were no streetlights on at that point, no cars about, the houses were in darkness and the first train was yet to pull out and run over the nearby viaduct so where the light anomaly originated from I have no idea.
I wasn’t weirded out like I have been on the allotment on occasions and neither of the dogs reacted in any way.
I have been told I have dry macular degeneration and am wondering if my failing eyesight is causing me to see things that don’t exist?