Random Stuff From Your Neck O' The Woods

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I saw this plaque on Oxenholme train station this evening whilst waiting for a train back to Lancaster:

Oxenholme.jpg

I've been to Westmorland Hospital in Kendal to have a sabacecous cyst removed from an eyelid. I had 40 minutes to wait at Oxenholme train station and noticed it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I saw this plaque on Oxenholme train station this evening whilst waiting for a train back to Lancaster:

View attachment 32679

I've been to Westmorland Hospital in Kendal to have a sabacecous cyst removed from an eyelid. I had 40 minutes to wait at Oxenholme train station and noticed it.
That's right up the station, past the waiting rooms!
It's a lovely spot in summer. A little 'peace' garden. Cracking views.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The views of the hills on the way up made me so wish I could get out there with my camera. The way the sun and shadows were sitting made me want to be out there.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Desolation is all I see
Reaction score
Out but social distancing--which suits me as I'm not fond of crowds. Went to an area known for publishing and film-making, took snapshots. Forgive the attempt at vaporwave!

View attachment 29902
I love the black and white photo, it has a pleasingly 50s/60s vibe to the building.

I often find myself drawn to black and white photographs (as much as I like vibrant colour ones) because there's something really nice about the light and shadow on them.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Have been out in the cold this afternoon.

The local lake is frozen over and somebody's marvellous homemade contraption is ice-bound.

SmartSelect_20201220-194139_Gallery.jpg

These also look like a lot of fun. I think the 'gun' fires clouds of dry-ice!

SmartSelect_20201220-194545_Gallery.jpg

Schrodinger's Zebra

Desolation is all I see
Reaction score
Have been out in the cold this afternoon.

The local lake is frozen over and somebody's marvellous homemade contraption is ice-bound.

View attachment 32839

These also look like a lot of fun. I think the 'gun' fires clouds of dry-ice!

View attachment 32840
There's nothing quite like a frosty morning with blue skies, is there.

Do you get much snow over there, chance of a white Christmas?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
There's nothing quite like a frosty morning with blue skies, is there.

Do you get much snow over there, chance of a white Christmas?
Late afternoon, but the same light and the same principle, yes.

A chance of a white Christmas--and they're common here--but the weather forecast isn't with us at the moment.

It's very dry in Korea in winter, and often when it snows the snow remains on the ground for ages, but it doesn't come that frequently.

We've had snow twice this month though, so we might be lucky yet.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I just want to know what the contraption does.

(or is alleged to do)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
My father just sent me a picture of my local church in England.

SmartSelect_20210102-190503_Gallery.jpg

The old path to the lichegate used to run diagonally through a gap in the hedge and across the farmer's fields. It's still a public footpath, but it gets overgrown by crops through some of the year.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
That's right up the station, past the waiting rooms!
It's a lovely spot in summer. A little 'peace' garden. Cracking views.
I knew I had snaps of Oxenholme somewhere! :D
There are better ones floating around.

Oxenholme.jpg
Oxenholme snack.jpg

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Are these shots that happened by accident?
They were taken to show my workmates where I was and what I was up to. We do that. I'd get similar back from them.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
They were taken to show my workmates where I was and what I was up to. We do that. I'd get similar back from them.
I've received pictures from my mother's phone in which the thing she intended to photograph is hidden or just out of frame.

"The house we visited is just behind these trees, but you can't quite see it."

And yet still she sent them.

A fictional example, but "this is the mat that the cat was sitting on until just before I took the photo," seems a bit unnecesary.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Here are a few snaps I've had back -

1. North Wales coast.
2. Stuck at Milton Keynes.
3. 'Peace Post' at Oxenholme station.
4. Near Euston station, London, in the first lockdown.
5. North Staffordshire.

Bec Seaside View.jpgBec stuck at Milton Keynes.jpgOxenholme sign.jpgEuston Road in April.jpgSnowy View .jpg

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
love the train snaps. No 2 brought a tear to my eye as i used to see that every morning on my commute to work. Not seen it since March. Who would have thought one could get maudlin about MK.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
love the train snaps. No 2 brought a tear to my eye as i used to see that every morning on my commute to work. Not seen it since March. Who would have thought one could get maudlin about MK.
Along there I used to spot a woman's shoe lying in the four-foot. Made me shudder, y'know. thinking about how it might have got there. :(

Though it was probably kicked off by some hen-night reveller from the platform! :chuckle:

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
Along there I used to spot a woman's shoe lying in the four-foot. Made me shudder, y'know. thinking about how it might have got there. :(

Though it was probably kicked off by some hen-night reveller from the platform! :chuckle:
Let me tell you, what goes on late nights at MK station (or used to) is bacchanalian so shoes would be the least of it! Am speaking purely as an observer

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Let me tell you, what goes on late nights at MK station (or used to) is bacchanalian so shoes would be the least of it! Am speaking purely as an observer
Ohhh yes, I've seen it! o_O

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
John, the guy in this video lives in my town with his wife and daughter. He dedicates his life to wombat and wildlife rescue.
Our National broadcaster, the ABC recently produced a show called 'After the Fires' on the devastating bushfires of last summer, narrated by actor Hugo Weaving.
Some of the burnt out bushland that you see in the footage is less than 1km from where I live.

Last edited:

Schrodinger's Zebra

Desolation is all I see
Reaction score
I've received pictures from my mother's phone in which the thing she intended to photograph is hidden or just out of frame.

"The house we visited is just behind these trees, but you can't quite see it."

And yet still she sent them.

A fictional example, but "this is the mat that the cat was sitting on until just before I took the photo," seems a bit unnecesary.
Reminds me of some of the wildlife photos Mr Zebra and I have taken over the years on our holidays in the Highlands.

"There was a bird of prey there when we got the camera out!"

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
It's just got crazy cold here: -19⁰C last night and -11⁰C this morning, which solidified yesterday's flurry of snow.

I took some nice photos in the crisp air. The third is the brand-new hospital that has opened around the corner from me.

SmartSelect_20210107-155637_Gallery.jpg SmartSelect_20210107-155702_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20210107-155544_Gallery.jpg SmartSelect_20210107-155833_Gallery.jpg

Schrodinger's Zebra

Desolation is all I see
Reaction score
We've been taking quite a few snaps of the snow in our garden in the last few days. Here are a select few.

1. Blue Tit on bird feeder
2. As-yet-unidentified bird
3. Frost on inside of window!
4. Our snowy conifer

Bird1.JPGBird2.JPGWindow.JPGConifer.JPG